Author Topic: The GREAT Doc Rivers  (Read 13705 times)

Re: The GREAT Doc Rivers
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 10:47:10 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Since when is getting beat by the OKC Thunder with the MVP of the league in a playoff series a mark of shame? In a tough close 6 game series, not a blow out or a short one.

I guess its Doc's fault that CP3 had the worst minute of his basketball career in game 5?

Let's just keep an idea on HOW far these Doc Clipper teams go in the playoffs in the coming years, shall we??

I am a HUGE believer in personal accountability!!!!  Doc evidently is NOT.

Smitty77

P.S. I always believed that Doc was and IS and average (at best) X's and O's coach.

I'm a big supporter of third-person accountability too, and not factoring in Paul's awful series of mistakes in Game 5 is taking accountability away from him.  It's a mix of guys who are responsible for losing the series, and Doc is certainly one, but far from the only one.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 10:51:17 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I was happy to see Doc and his band of whiners (especially Griffin) knocked out of the playoffs, just as I was happy to see Whiny Howard knocked out.

Now if somehow Dirty Wade, Judas Allen, and the rest of the cHeat can get knocked out, I'll be as pleased as punch.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Doc is one of only sixteen coaches to win a championship after the ABA-NBA merger some 38 years ago and is number 19 in regular season wins all-time. Considering that there have been over 180 coaches employed after the merger and 309 total in NBA history, that's not too bad for an "average" coach.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/NBA_stats.html
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 10:55:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Since when is getting beat by the OKC Thunder with the MVP of the league in a playoff series a mark of shame? In a tough close 6 game series, not a blow out or a short one.

I guess its Doc's fault that CP3 had the worst minute of his basketball career in game 5?

Yeah, I don't get it.  His team lost to a better team that had home court advantage.  He had his team in position to win the series, if breaks had gone the other way.

If Doc had made critical coaching errors that lost the series, I'd be sympathetic to the argument.  That's not the case here, though, is it?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 10:55:44 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
oh c'mon. Doc is hardly to blame here. I don't think there is anyone in particular to blame actually. The Clippers played to their talent level, they just lost to the better team in about as close of a 6 game series there can be.

Doc coached the Clips to the best season in the history of the franchise, give the guy a break.

BTW, I'll never understand the hostility towards Rivers that some Celts fans seem to have. Not only was he a key part of banner 17, but he was a class act throughout his tenure here. Sure, his departure wasn't too graceful, but you can't really blame the guy for not wanting to go through a rebuild with a team whose fans rabidly chanted "Fire Doc" the last time Celtics were a lottery team. I'm sure that stuck with him a bit.

And at least he's not like Judas Shuttlesworth who continuously  trashed talked the Celtics after leaving. He's had nothing but kind and genuine words about the organization and the city.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 10:59:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 11:08:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah, I don't get it.  His team lost to a better team that had home court advantage.  He had his team in position to win the series, if breaks had gone the other way.

If Doc had made critical coaching errors that lost the series, I'd be sympathetic to the argument.  That's not the case here, though, is it?
The only coaching mistake I saw was Blake not having as big a role in the fourth quarter offense.

But that's on CP3 and Jamal as much as Doc, they still ran a lot of the same sets, he just got the ball fewer times. Doc needed to remind them and they needed to execute.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 11:15:50 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
when a team takes you in and wins you a championship, gives you all you want. Then you slam the team on the way out with your 'I do not want to be part of a rebuild' slam, you deserve all the teasing you get when it all falls on your face and you have to be part of maybe the biggest rebuild in the history of the NBA.

I don't like butter with my popcorn. Should be a fun offseason.

I am rooting for a scorched earth legal battle in the courts. I wonder if DOC will resign, AGAIN.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
Not sure why so many Celtics fan love Doc, wasn't it him who said the Lakers were the better franchise?  Everyone seems to forget that, anyways I am glad he and the Clips got knocked out.  And again lets not put Spoelstra as a good coach.  Any coach of that team would win titles, same with Phil, had Jordan and Kobe, arguably both top 5 players of all time.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I was happy to see Doc and his band of whiners (especially Griffin) knocked out of the playoffs, just as I was happy to see Whiny Howard knocked out.

Now if somehow Dirty Wade, Judas Allen, and the rest of the cHeat can get knocked out, I'll be as pleased as punch.

I can't say I feel all that differently. I think the Clips and the Nets dying in round 2 makes those trades look all the better. Also, Houston getting smacked like that has to increase the likelihood that Danny could swing an Asik deal.

I wonder where the Clips go from here. Just bring the group back for another round? Do they have any real means of upgrading?

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I'm starting to think Doc Rivers spit in some of you guy's oatmeal when you were a kid or something. These Doc hate threads are completely unnecessary.

Rivers was never my favorite....The public brow beating of players and calling out players in the press pre-Garnett/Allen/Thibs.

But his pathetic exhibition following the after the Sterling comments cemented it for me. 

After watching the ridiculous call go against them in game 5....It appeared that the league was as tired of the Sterling episode being on the front page as most of us are.  There is no other rationale for missing a call like that live and on replay.

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 11:33:48 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Not sure why so many Celtics fan love Doc, wasn't it him who said the Lakers were the better franchise?  Everyone seems to forget that, anyways I am glad he and the Clips got knocked out.  And again lets not put Spoelstra as a good coach.  Any coach of that team would win titles, same with Phil, had Jordan and Kobe, arguably both top 5 players of all time.

Spoelstra is a good coach, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Kobe isn't one of the top 5 players of all time, unless you're only counting the Lakers.

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 11:39:29 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

OK, giving up an average of over 107 points per game is in NO way any fault of the coaching staff???  BTW, I never said that Paul didn't choke.  He certainly DID!!  That gave me great JOY as well since I still to this day vividly rememeber the PERFECT role model Chris Paul PUNCHING Julius Hodge in the groin in the ACC tournament!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F3tptzEWmM

So, Paul choking also gives me joy.

Smitty77

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I don't think Doc's to blame for the Clippers losing but I can't blame anyone who is annoyed at Doc's deification after Vinny Del Negro got run out out of town for winning one less regular season game and losing in the first round when Griffin had a pretty bad ankle sprain.

I do think you can blame Doc for essentially trading Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler for JJ Redick and Jared Dudley, filling up his bench with wastes like Granger, Hedo, Byron Mullens and Ryan Hollins and deciding that playing DeAndre Jordan a lot more was a great idea.  On the other hand, Doc can probably take some credit for getting Paul resigned and grabbing Big Baby wasn't a bad move.

Mike