Author Topic: Source: NBA Reviewing Officiating of Game 4  (Read 7081 times)

Re: Source: NBA Reviewing Officiating of Game 4
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Absolutely ludicrous that they don't decide to review the officiating until LeBron fouls out of a game. Gimme a break.

Where are you getting it from that this is an unusual move, or that this is just about LeBron?  There were plenty of dubious calls all over the place last night. 

And my understanding is they review the officiating every game - I know for a fact officials get notes and grades from the league after every game.

I believe that you're correct in saying they review every game. But as a rule they don't publicly announce reviews ... so when they make such an announcement after a rare LeBron foul-out, well, that seems dubious to me.

But the league made no public announcement I'm aware of - all I see is that a columnist asked an anonymous league source, who said "yes, we're reviewing calls", and then the columnist published it.  That's not anything out of the ordinary to me.

If this is the case, then you're right on—there's nothing to see here. Maybe Ken Berger is a closet LeBron fan trying to help out his boy?  ;D

It's just that I don't believe in coincidences, and it seems strange that this is happening after LeBron fouled out. Reminds me of how the Spurs got fined for benching players but the Heat didn't.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Absolutely ludicrous that they don't decide to review the officiating until LeBron fouls out of a game. Gimme a break.

Where are you getting it from that this is an unusual move, or that this is just about LeBron?  There were plenty of dubious calls all over the place last night. 

And my understanding is they review the officiating every game - I know for a fact officials get notes and grades from the league after every game.

I believe that you're correct in saying they review every game. But as a rule they don't publicly announce reviews ... so when they make such an announcement after a rare LeBron foul-out, well, that seems dubious to me.

But the league made no public announcement I'm aware of - all I see is that a columnist asked an anonymous league source, who said "yes, we're reviewing calls", and then the columnist published it.  That's not anything out of the ordinary to me.

If this is the case, then you're right on—there's nothing to see here. Maybe Ken Berger is a closet LeBron fan trying to help out his boy?  ;D

It's just that I don't believe in coincidences, and it seems strange that this is happening after LeBron fouled out. Reminds me of how the Spurs got fined for benching players but the Heat didn't.

Ken Berger doesn't need to be "a closet Lebron fan trying to help out his boy."  It's more likely that as a professional writer, he knows how to start an article with something that is bound to grab people's attention.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The game before LeBron had zero fouls.

http://www.nba.com/games/20130526/MIAIND/gameinfo.html?ls=pot

this is the game that should be investigated.   

He pushes off all the time, travels almost every possession.   Sometimes I think McMahon runs a cleaner ship than David Stern.

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Ken Berger doesn't need to be "a closet Lebron fan trying to help out his boy."  It's more likely that as a professional writer, he knows how to start an article with something that is bound to grab people's attention.

An anonymous source at CBS Sports tells me Ken Berger "likes making money" and "is evaluated by his bosses largely on pageviews".  Developing...

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

An anonymous source at CBS Sports tells me Ken Berger "likes making money" and "is evaluated by his bosses largely on pageviews".  Developing...
How sad is that? Current American media has more in common with the 1980 National Enquirer than they do with the 1980 New York Times(or sub in any other extremely respected news agency in 1980).

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Of course another way to look at this is that when large organizations want to leak info they have their media connections they use to leak info. Happens in politics and big business all the time. I know Shaughnessy was that Red Sox media leak for a long, long time. I know the Bulls used Sam Smith that way for a long time.

Could the NBA have these types of guys that they leak info too? Could Berger be one of those guys? It is possible and so if that is the situation, this could have been leaked. Not saying it is likely, just saying it is a possibility.

Either way we should probably he something from the league before the Heat and Pacers play next, so we will see.

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2013, 10:04:39 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Of course another way to look at this is that when large organizations want to leak info they have their media connections they use to leak info. Happens in politics and big business all the time. I know Shaughnessy was that Red Sox media leak for a long, long time. I know the Bulls used Sam Smith that way for a long time.

Could the NBA have these types of guys that they leak info too? Could Berger be one of those guys? It is possible and so if that is the situation, this could have been leaked. Not saying it is likely, just saying it is a possibility.

Either way we should probably he something from the league before the Heat and Pacers play next, so we will see.

They were all fined for flopping.

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

They were all fined for flopping.
Were they? Thanks sed. Haven't been to ESPN this morning.

EDIT: Not on ESPN but here is a link:

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/pacers/lebron-james-2-pacers-fined-for-flopping-during-ecf-game-4

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
They're reviewing officiating to make sure they get things right from here on in....They've gotten them right so far...They fouled out the messiah early in our series last year....And even called a travel on him in the same game...Then, as if that made the officials credible...Let him get back to the 3-4 steps without a dribble...Wade carrying on every possession...etc.

Plan like last season....Is for the messiah to be in the Finals....However that has to happen.