Author Topic: Where would you rank Garnett on the list of All-Time Power Forwards?  (Read 15112 times)

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Power forward may be the most crowded position of all time.  Even just with the Celtics you have Heinsohn, Silas and Mchale, all strong players who can claim status ahead of Garnett.  Basically, Garnett needs to win another championship.  The Big Three window may have closed, but the Big Three can still be part of a championship team.  
Silas/Heinsohn have no claim ahead of Garnett unless you're just refering to time as Celtics, even McHale is questionable as he was never a league MVP and had a shorter prime (though he was a canidate).

It gets a little tricky IMO. Look at the way KG's stats dropped when he came to the Celts because he was sharing the court with great players, and imagine his career stats if he was on teams like that every year. Honestly, how many players in nba history would have a shot at the MVP if they played on the same team as Bird?

Agree about the shorter prime though, but that was injury related.
Injuries matter though, and KG's numbers dropped coming to the C's but that was also due to his decreased minutes and athleticism as well. Its very hard to disentangle those from the different role he was playing.

He wasn't injured in the first year, and all three of PP/RA/KG had their numbers drop somewhat. The minutes thing is big, KG wasn't much better than McHale stat-wise on a per minute basis.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
KG
Duncan
McHale
Elvin Hayes
Dirk
Malone
Pettit
Barkley
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:16:38 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  My top 10

Duncan
 McHale
 Malone
 Hayes
 Petit
 Garnett
 Nowitzki
 Barkley
 Debusschere
 Rodman

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

-Malone isn't top 3, despite being #2 on the scoring list, b/c he choked when it counted most and played with arguably the best PG ever. 

I'm not a big Malone (or Stockton) fan but if you look up how they did in elimination games you'll see that Karl's numbers went up a little and Stockton's went down by a fair amount.

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I think the misconception with KG's career is that he had almost no help in his career. Even worst than Pierce
By the time he went on the Celtics he was in his 13th, count em 13th season! He always kept himself in perfect condition and was very productive, but it was after his prime. Theres no doubt he would win 3-4 titles if he had help in his prime years. He gets knocked for being on bad teams

1. KG
2. Elvin Hayes
3. James Worthy
4. Dirk
5. Tim Duncan
6. Kevin Mchale
7. Charles Barkley
8. Dave DeBusschere
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:30:34 PM by OsirusCeltics »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I think the misconception with KG's career is that he had almost no help in his career. Even worst than Pierce
By the time he went on the Celtics he was in his 13th, count em 13th season! He always kept himself in perfect condition and was very productive, but it was after his prime. Theres no doubt he would win 3-4 titles if he had help in his prime years. He gets knocked for being on bad teams

1. KG
2. Elvin Hayes
3. James Worthy
4. Dirk
5. Tim Duncan
6. Kevin Mchale
7. Charles Barkley
8. Dave DeBusschere

I was going to comment on Dirk over Duncan until I saw James Worthy in there. Wow.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Duncan
Garnett
Malone
McHale
Dirk/Barkley
Barkley/Dirk
CELTICS 2024

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell

1. KG
2. Elvin Hayes
3. James Worthy
4. Dirk
5. Tim Duncan
6. Kevin Mchale
7. Charles Barkley
8. Dave DeBusschere

I was going to comment on Dirk over Duncan until I saw James Worthy in there. Wow.

Why is Worthy on there a surprise?

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

1. KG
2. Elvin Hayes
3. James Worthy
4. Dirk
5. Tim Duncan
6. Kevin Mchale
7. Charles Barkley
8. Dave DeBusschere

He is a SF.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

1. KG
2. Elvin Hayes
3. James Worthy
4. Dirk
5. Tim Duncan
6. Kevin Mchale
7. Charles Barkley
8. Dave DeBusschere

He is a SF.

I would have gone with him not being as good as anyone else on the list, but that works too.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

1. KG
2. Elvin Hayes
3. James Worthy
4. Dirk
5. Tim Duncan
6. Kevin Mchale
7. Charles Barkley
8. Dave DeBusschere

He is a SF.
Kurt Rambis and AC Green played PF for the Lakers all those years Worthy was there. Worthy was lucky if he ever saw one minute at the PF position.

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell

1. KG
2. Elvin Hayes
3. James Worthy
4. Dirk
5. Tim Duncan
6. Kevin Mchale
7. Charles Barkley
8. Dave DeBusschere

He is a SF.

I would have gone with him not being as good as anyone else on the list, but that works too.

My mistake, I'll cross him off the list

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell

1. KG
2. Elvin Hayes
3. James Worthy
4. Dirk
5. Tim Duncan
6. Kevin Mchale
7. Charles Barkley
8. Dave DeBusschere

Dirk is better than Duncan

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Garnett
4. McHale
5. Hayes
6. Nowitzki
7. Barkley
8. Jerry Lucas

Now the problem comes with guys that blurred that line because they played multiple positions Willis Reed, Dennis Rodman, Dave DeBusschere, Bob Pettit, Amar'e Stoudemire, Bob McAdoo, and Dolph Schayes. All played time at PF but a bunch of time at another position.

When Willis Reed played PF alongside Walt Bellamy as his center it could be argued he was a top 5 PF ever. Rodman as a PF is arguably a top 10 PF ever but played the SF position for years in Detroit. Pettit was a center for as much time as he was a PF but is there any denying that as a PF he belongs in the top 10?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

1. KG
2. Elvin Hayes
3. James Worthy
4. Dirk
5. Tim Duncan
6. Kevin Mchale
7. Charles Barkley
8. Dave DeBusschere

Dirk is better than Duncan
Right now maybe, but not over the course of their whole careers.