Author Topic: Biggest Flopper in NBA?  (Read 17794 times)

Re: Biggest Flopper in NBA?
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »

Online LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
definitely Varejao (if he weren't injured today), Ginobili, Fisher, Raja Bell and ... Wade? lol
- LilRip

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Flopping has been going on for a long time.
Back in the seventies there was a notorious flopper named Mike Newman, who played guard for Phoenix at the time (I think).  He flopped against the Celts one night and Dave Cowans was called for the foul.  Cowans was incensed and ran down court full speed right at and over Newman, leaving him trampled on the ground.  Cowans then turned to the ref and calmly stated: "now that's a foul".

They didn't fine you back then for every infraction, like they do now.  I think it was just called a deliberate foul resulting in two shots. 

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2011, 12:27:10 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Back in the seventies there was a notorious flopper named Mike Newman, who played guard for Phoenix at the time (I think).  He flopped against the Celts one night and Dave Cowans was called for the foul.  Cowans was incensed and ran down court full speed right at and over Newman, leaving him trampled on the ground.  Cowans then turned to the ref and calmly stated: "now that's a foul".

They didn't fine you back then for every infraction, like they do now.  I think it was just called a deliberate foul resulting in two shots. 

lol thank god they dont allow those anymore
Imagine KG and Artest with that kind of...... freedom?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2011, 08:30:01 AM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown

lol thank god they dont allow those anymore
Imagine KG and Artest with that kind of...... freedom?

They still allow the "freedom" to flop, though.

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
a vast majority of the league "flops" and "sells" calls.  for me personally, it has really tarnished the nba.  there are a lot of american players who do it, but a lot of the notorious ones are foreign players. no disrespect to others out there, but the influence of flopping soccer players has been carried into the nba.

the bigger issue isnt with the floppers, it is the officials who reward these con artists.  if they did a better job of not calling it, it would cease bc it only takes the player out of the play.  i understand that it might be difficult to tell the difference in the game, but flops should be reviewed after the game and fines issues.  if they do this, along with improving the officials ability to decipher between a foul and a flop, the flopping decreases.

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
a vast majority of the league "flops" and "sells" calls.  for me personally, it has really tarnished the nba.  there are a lot of american players who do it, but a lot of the notorious ones are foreign players. no disrespect to others out there, but the influence of flopping soccer players has been carried into the nba.

the bigger issue isnt with the floppers, it is the officials who reward these con artists.  if they did a better job of not calling it, it would cease bc it only takes the player out of the play.  i understand that it might be difficult to tell the difference in the game, but flops should be reviewed after the game and fines issues.  if they do this, along with improving the officials ability to decipher between a foul and a flop, the flopping decreases.

I know that several national soccer leagues can check the tapes after the fact (i.e. when the games have ended) and can actually hand out fines and/or suspensions for such behavior, as well as check on calls (such as elbows to the face of opponents' heads and other unsportsmanlike conduct and so on) that the referees may have missed. This often leads to suspensions. I hope that one day this will be the standard in every sports competition around the world.

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2011, 09:59:55 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

I know that several national soccer leagues can check the tapes after the fact (i.e. when the games have ended) and can actually hand out fines and/or suspensions for such behavior, as well as check on calls (such as elbows to the face of opponents' heads and other unsportsmanlike conduct and so on) that the referees may have missed. This often leads to suspensions. I hope that one day this will be the standard in every sports competition around the world.

i didnt know there were leagues that do that....i like it :)

and here i was thinking i had a good idea :-\  lol

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
In the meantime, a simple change of focus by the refs could make a big improvement.  As it stands now:  when in doubt reward the flopper.  The league could easily tell them:  when in doubt make no call.
(Asking a ref to make no call is asking a lot, though.)