Author Topic: Biggest Flopper in NBA?  (Read 17796 times)

Re: Biggest Flopper in NBA?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Varegeo is what you call a serial flopper...does it repeatedly,just can't control himself.

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We have some pretty accomplished floppers ourselves...Pierce, Davis to name a few.

Between flopping and star calls the games get more and more discredited.

Varejao is clearly number one in the league right now. There is almost nothing more annoying than watching his hair fly all over the place when he flops.

And, you are certainly right about our guys. Offensively, Pierce does a great job throwing his hands up in the air and tripping to accentuate any contact. And defensively, you can pretty much count on Davis going down a few times a game on lay-up/dunk attempts by opposing players. Since he is so big and doesn't mind going down hard, it really isn't too 'ugly', though.

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 04:53:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I mentioned this in another thread, but I recently read an article in ESPN Mag about players who "sell" fouls the most.  NBA players were interviewed, and the names that came up most were Pierce, Kobe, and Durant. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 05:02:39 PM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Can't believe no one mentioned Devin Harris.  Varjeao is obviously up there, but from all the basketball I watch, I think I'd give the edge to Harris.
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 05:09:25 PM »

Offline rjsuperfly66

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think until the NBA gets rid of continuation, offensive flopping will always be present. 

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I think there is a difference between flopping and selling a foul.  Refs these day's won't call a foul unless the player sells it.  For instance, Perk is hacked and hit and pushed all the time but because he is so strong and doesn't fall, those fouls rarely get called.  Players have to resort to selling a foul in order to get them called.  If the refs actually called fouls when they see them, there would be a lot less selling of fouls. 

Flopping in my opinion is falling when a foul hasn't actually been committed and the two players who do this all the time are Varejao and Ginobili.  They are terrible about just flopping even when they haven't been touched. 

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
D.Fish does his share of acting also

Since we're playing the Lakers I'll second this one.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 05:55:43 PM by Las Vegas Asian »

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 05:50:20 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
D.Fish does his share of acting also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQqoL9V1j2k

I recall Fisher flopping in a game vs. the C's and it always reminded me of this.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 06:19:33 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I mentioned this in another thread, but I recently read an article in ESPN Mag about players who "sell" fouls the most.  NBA players were interviewed, and the names that came up most were Pierce, Kobe, and Durant. 

Pierce has perfected getting people in the air or off balance and then stepping into them.  I don't think it's a "sell," it's just that Pierce makes sure that the refs know he has been fouled.  Otherwise, what's the point?

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
This reminds me of my favorite video of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM

That is an absolute disgrace to the NBA.  I sympathize with the officials because I understand their job is hard and how can you see that and really think "OK, yeah an NBA athlete just decided to dive randomly to fake a foul when he doesnt even have the ball".  But at the same time, why can't that play be reviewed and Horry assessed a technical foul?  Plays like this are really disgraceful to the game.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 10:12:56 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
any discussion involving floppers has to include Reggie Miller. They guy made a career out of flopping and taking advantage of his 90% FT shooting. There were many nights of long Tommy rants about Reggie's ability to flop.

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 11:22:18 PM »

Offline rjsuperfly66

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 1
I love how a few years back the NBA said they would crack down on flopping by fining players, but at least I have never heard of a player being fined for that.

My favorite Sheed quote from the Year:

"They've got to know that he's a [dang] flopper. That's all Turkododo do. Flopping shouldn't get you nowhere. He acts like I shot him.

"That's not basketball, man. That's not defense. That's garbage, what it is. I'm glad I don't have too much of it left."

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 11:53:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Varejao is ridiculous.

Beyond that flopping isn't just limited to players on other teams, or a select few. It is as they say, an epidemic.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
We have some pretty accomplished floppers ourselves...Pierce, Davis to name a few.

I think people are completely misusing what "flopping" actually is.

If someone in our team is a flopper, you can say Rondo is a bit. But what Pierce does has nothing to do with what flopping actually is.

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I think people are completely misusing what "flopping" actually is.

If someone in our team is a flopper, you can say Rondo is a bit. But what Pierce does has nothing to do with what flopping actually is.

What Pierce does when he initiates contact then flails his arms up and pretends he is actually trying to shoot..that's not flopping. That is showing the referee that there was contact. That's also why he screams and presses assault charges.

But what he does when there is no contact on the jump shot but intentionally falls backwards and pretends that he was thrown....that's flopping. Or when he's being guarded physically and pretends he got pushed, that's also flopping.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner