Author Topic: The complete "AI to Philly" Saga!! (merged)  (Read 12054 times)

Re: Iverson Offered 1 Year Deal with Sixers
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 06:06:47 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
I hope they've extensively discussed and finalized a plan, a counter-plan and the straw that will break the camel's back scenario for when  Lou Williams comes back.

Honestly I think they'll let it play out and see what happens. If AI were to come in and the sixers were to see significant improvement, then I think they'll keep AI in the starting lineup. If not and they continue to be mediocre then they have the leverage to sit AI down and make a case that he really has lost a step and would make way for williams to again start.
 It'll be kind of like the situation back in the day with the pats. Bledsoe was our franchise, he went down and in came brady. Had Brady not done a good job then there wouldn't have been anything Tom could cry or whine about when Bledsoe came back. But since he improved the team drastically, there was no argument and the world understood why bledsoe was now branded "backup". I think they'll try the "wait & see" approach here as well.

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think this is a great move for them- not only because Lou Williams is out two weeks, but because this is where Iverson strived for so many years. It should be a relief to him, too. It feels good to go home, especially since his career has been a struggle ever since he left. If he can make them a playoff team, even better, but I am actually really happy to see this move...

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 06:32:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Williams is scheduled to be out for about 8 weeks, I believe.

Considering that he'll have a wired jaw and therefore be on a liquid diet for a good chunk of that time, he may not be in game-shape by the time he is medically cleared to play.

Worrying about what happens to AI when Lou returns isn't sufficient reason for Philly to punt the first half of the season. They could conceivably contend for a playoff berth.

Plus, Iverson will sell tickets. It sounds as though the current team isn't exactly capturing local fan interest.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Bottom line is........He will fill seats in Philly
 mo' Butts Mo' money!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 06:53:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Bottom line is........He will fill seats in Philly
 mo' Butts Mo' money!

Yep.  I think that's pretty much the reasoning.  Sort of like when we traded a #1 pick to bring back Antoine for half of a season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 06:53:46 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Apparently Philly has decided to mail in the season. 

What a great role model to tutor their young players.

Well if their young players could have gotten the job done then maybe they wouldn't even bother thinking about signing Iverson.

Drue Holiday has been abysmal, granted he is only 19.

Re: Iverson met w/ Philly today.
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 06:56:36 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
well i dont see iverson here cuzz he dont wanna come off the bench..but he might not mind...for sure a ring he will get here
He actually said he would come off the bench for a contender. I see his point by not wanting to come off the bench in Memphis, I am not condoning or saying they way he handle the situation in Memphis was the right thing. It was actually very unprofessional on his end , Memphis deserves alot of respect (wallace) for the way they handle the whole situation...Professionally!!!!

Again I do see his point and he does not deserve to be coming off the bench on a team w/ the line up Memphis has but on a contending team where he could win a championship and prove to people he can fit in and that he may be on the down side of his career but he is not at the bottom of the hill but has reached the peek and is on his way down but closer to the top than the end.....Think about it , AI in Boston, Clev, LA etc..
He would push one of these teams over the top!!!!!!!!
  Going to Philly does nothing for him or them!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 07:16:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think PHilly is one of the only few teams playing in Boston the week I'm town (before Christmas) so I'm all for it.  That game was going to be dreadfully boring.

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
There should really be a reset button on certain trades. I hate how that Chauncey-McDyess for Iverson trade has worked out, I just hate it. I don't like Billups on the Nuggets, Antonio McDyess is wasting his career, and AI got shipped off one of the few teams in the league that worked for his style. Now we have this distraction floating around and I wish AI would just settle down someone where, get a starting role, and do mediocre so this could be over. 

Billups has done wonders for the Nuggets - they needed a leader more than anything else and thats what he provides. This is the first time I've heard/seen someone say that Billups to the Nuggets weren't a good fit. Furthermore, McDyess is in San Antonio now, he's got a decent shot at a championship once they figure out how to make their new pieces fit.

As far as AI to the Sixers, I'm more interested to see what happens when Lou Williams returns. Even if they shift AI to SG to start and Iguodala back to SF, there may not be enough backcourt minutes to keep AI happy.

I didn't say Billups was a bad fit. I just don't like him on that team. It bothers me.

San Antonio is not winning anything.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 08:55:32 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
The word from realgm is that Iverson has accepted the one year contract offer from Philadelphia, and that it will be announced as early as this morning:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/63131/20091202/report_iverson_will_accept_offer/

Figured I'd post it here instead of starting another AI thread.

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 08:57:41 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
I don't understand this guy...has he just decided that he doesn't want to ever win anything? It's too bad that his pride cares more about having a starting position than being the best 6th man in the league and winning a championship. I hate seeing a great talent like AI go to waste.

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
I am disappointed that he will not sign with us.I thought he was worth the gamble.
L.A. Clippers

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 09:30:50 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
I am disappointed that he will not sign with us.I thought he was worth the gamble.
me too. it's crazy that he accepted a minimum, non guaranteed contract from Phlly. how hard would it have been for us to do that, and then if he gave us problems, just cut him?

it's too bad to see a talent like him jumping from bad team to bad team.

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 09:37:55 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So Iverson has until Januray 10th to prove to the Sixers he's not the guy that left the city a few years back and can help contribute to this team.

On the flip side, if Lou Williams is feeling well enough to return by around that time, AI might be gone if he doesn't behave.

Non-guaranteed contracts have a funny way of being non-guaranteed for a reason and ending before they reach the end of the contract. Gotta imagine this might be the same story here if AI isn't on his best behavior.

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
me too. it's crazy that he accepted a minimum, non guaranteed contract from Phlly. how hard would it have been for us to do that, and then if he gave us problems, just cut him?

it's too bad to see a talent like him jumping from bad team to bad team.
Well, in order for him to be signed the Celtics would have had to cut a player. That would have been either Giddens or Walker as neither is likely to return next year.

So they get cut but the C's still have to pay their whole salary and the luxury tax related to that. Then the C's probably would have offered the same contract that Iverson got offered and then have to pay the luxury tax on top of that.

So money wise, if Iverson didn't work out and was cut, basically the C's are dumping a million dollar expiring contract and paying two million dollars to do so and also dumping another $400K to $1.4million on Iverson, depending one when they cut him.

If AI didn't work out, and let's face it he wouldn't have liked having to play mop up minutes behind Rondo, the it would cost the Celtics somewhere between $2.4 million and $3.4 mil;lion just to end up with a headache and an empty roster spot.