Author Topic: The complete "AI to Philly" Saga!! (merged)  (Read 12051 times)

Re: Iverson met w/ Philly today.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 01:30:28 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
They need somebody to help them sell tickets.  The return of AI couldn't hurt.

This is exactly why i can't grasp Maimi's lack of interest. Seems like a short term AI deal does nothing but benefit them, on the court and in the ticket sales.
Maybe it would help ticket sales, but I think a Wade/Iverson is a bad combination.  They both love to dribble too much to coexist well, in my opinion.  And maybe Chalmers has regressed on d, but he's still 10x better than AI on d.

Agree ... I can't imagine Wade and AI wworking together effectively ... maybe we're selling them short, but their game is just way too similar. Then again, if AI were coming off the bench ...

Disagree, mario chalmers is not an NBA starting point guard, and arroyo may not be an NBA guard period. They are one of the few teams in the league where an aging AI is far and away a better player than the starting PG.

I also wholehartedly disagree that Chalmers is "10 times" the defender that iverson is. Since the middle of last year, he's been awful on defense. Other guards have been carving him up and getting into the paint at will. He was non-existent against rondo, as he has been against nearly every PG they've faced this year.

They are both bad, pass lane camping defenders. The league has figured that out about chalmers, just like they did against AI, and opposing guards now just attack the paint with him on thier hips to clear out space instead of letting him play the passing lanes for steals as they did last year to start.

The heat have no PG, and AI and melo actually worked pretty well together, and they are both volume scorers.

He'd be fine with the heat. worst case they scrub out in the first round of the playoffs, and get a mid draft pick. The are already on pace to do that, why not take the extra ticket sales and possibly get better in the backcourt?

There starting backcourt can't get any worse, its wade, a good bench player in chalmers and 3 guys who shouldn't be on an active roster. AI fits in fine there, one of the few places he would.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 01:45:39 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I agree with crownsy here. Miami is a logical destination. However, does AI really sell that many more tickets for the Heat?

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 01:49:20 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
They need somebody to help them sell tickets.  The return of AI couldn't hurt.

This is exactly why i can't grasp Maimi's lack of interest. Seems like a short term AI deal does nothing but benefit them, on the court and in the ticket sales.
Maybe it would help ticket sales, but I think a Wade/Iverson is a bad combination.  They both love to dribble too much to coexist well, in my opinion.  And maybe Chalmers has regressed on d, but he's still 10x better than AI on d.

Agree ... I can't imagine Wade and AI wworking together effectively ... maybe we're selling them short, but their game is just way too similar. Then again, if AI were coming off the bench ...

Let me clarify: I agree with AI and Wade not coexisting well, I do not agree that Chalmers is better than AI on defense.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 01:50:17 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
There should really be a reset button on certain trades. I hate how that Chauncey-McDyess for Iverson trade has worked out, I just hate it. I don't like Billups on the Nuggets, Antonio McDyess is wasting his career, and AI got shipped off one of the few teams in the league that worked for his style. Now we have this distraction floating around and I wish AI would just settle down someone where, get a starting role, and do mediocre so this could be over. 
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 02:25:37 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I agree with crownsy here. Miami is a logical destination. However, does AI really sell that many more tickets for the Heat?

Yeah I don't think AI would sell many more tickets than Wade already is right now. Miami always seems to have terrible crowds at games. I feel like I always see plenty of open seats even during playoff games.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 04:30:21 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
There should really be a reset button on certain trades. I hate how that Chauncey-McDyess for Iverson trade has worked out, I just hate it. I don't like Billups on the Nuggets, Antonio McDyess is wasting his career, and AI got shipped off one of the few teams in the league that worked for his style. Now we have this distraction floating around and I wish AI would just settle down someone where, get a starting role, and do mediocre so this could be over. 

Billups has done wonders for the Nuggets - they needed a leader more than anything else and thats what he provides. This is the first time I've heard/seen someone say that Billups to the Nuggets weren't a good fit. Furthermore, McDyess is in San Antonio now, he's got a decent shot at a championship once they figure out how to make their new pieces fit.

As far as AI to the Sixers, I'm more interested to see what happens when Lou Williams returns. Even if they shift AI to SG to start and Iguodala back to SF, there may not be enough backcourt minutes to keep AI happy.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 07:37:16 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Billups has done wonders for the Nuggets - they needed a leader more than anything else and thats what he provides. This is the first time I've heard/seen someone say that Billups to the Nuggets weren't a good fit. Furthermore, McDyess is in San Antonio now, he's got a decent shot at a championship once they figure out how to make their new pieces fit.

As far as AI to the Sixers, I'm more interested to see what happens when Lou Williams returns. Even if they shift AI to SG to start and Iguodala back to SF, there may not be enough backcourt minutes to keep AI happy.

I think A.I. will really shine in Philly. That's the perfect situation, because if it plays out right he could really retire the right way.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 07:58:04 AM »

Offline Tough Juice

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
totally agree, he is really loved there is a big fact too, the people, society, everybody loves him, because he's done so much for that city, he will be good there. And I have to say that there is bigger chance to play in the playoffs in Philadelphia that he had in Memphis. I hope he go in Philadelphia and finish his career and retire with pride, I'll root for him

Iverson Offered 1 Year Deal with Sixers
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup

Re: Iverson Offered 1 Year Deal with Sixers
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 05:22:02 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Ken Berger
Only one answer makes sense here. It is a word to which Iverson has never responded well -- 'no.'
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 05:30:48 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Apparently Philly has decided to mail in the season. 

What a great role model to tutor their young players.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 05:41:34 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Apparently Philly has decided to mail in the season. 

What a great role model to tutor their young players.

It wouldn't be a bad move for them if they stood a chance at making the playoffs, but I'm guessing although they'll do better with Iverson, once he realizes his team isn't going to make the playoffs, he's going to check out.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 05:42:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Please sign.

End all "AI to Boston" threads please!!!

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I hope they've extensively discussed and finalized a plan, a counter-plan and the straw that will break the camel's back scenario for when  Lou Williams comes back.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
 I do Agree wdleehi with respect to hopefully him signing elsewhere would end all AI in green talk. But I think it's a good move for philly,actually I think the raptors or charlotte would've been ideal, but it's a good thing. Not to bring up this point again or try to start another AI debate but I still believe with all my heart that a young player will "develop" better and be more motivated if he were on a playoff team as opposed to being on a Losing , pathetic team. So all this talk of "AI will ruin young players" to me is rubbish.
  You guys tell me where a young "future" type player will gain real playoff pressure & experience when he's on a 18 win per season team. Personally I think that's more depressing than anything. Where's the motivation?
  Bottomline, if bringing AI in will make the sixers a playoff team (even if it's only 7th or 8th seed) will do way more wonders and will help "development" than not picking up AI or another vet who knows how to win and losing 60 games. The latter Hopefully this goes through and I'll be happy for AI that he's finally getting the chance he deserves to go out with an ounce of dignity.