Author Topic: The complete "AI to Philly" Saga!! (merged)  (Read 12055 times)

The complete "AI to Philly" Saga!! (merged)
« on: November 30, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Sorry if this was already posted.

Here is the link and a cut and paste.
Pretty much said they met and both sides are talking within.
We will see, IMO he will be w/ either Philly or Boston by the end of the week.
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/63101/20091130/76ers_meet_with_iverson/

The 76ers met with free-agent guard Allen Iverson for two hours on Monday in Dallas.

The team released the following statement:

"This afternoon, we met with free agent Allen Iverson in Dallas for the first formal discussion regarding a possible return to the Philadelphia 76ers. The meeting lasted approximately two hours and covered a variety of topics, all of which we would prefer to keep between the team and Allen," general manager Ed Stefanski said.

"Joining me at the meeting with Allen, his agent Leon Rose and his personal manager Gary Moore was Senior Vice President/Assistant General Manager Tony DiLeo, Head Coach Eddie Jordan and Assistant Coach Aaron McKie.

"At this time, both parties remain non-committal regarding a final decision and we will continue to discuss internally whether or not to pursue this course.

"We want to thank Allen, Leon and Gary for taking the time to meet with us today."
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

Re: Iverson met w/ Philly today.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Iverson belongs in Philly. If we can't get him, I'd like to see him back in the Sixer's uniform.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:36:53 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
well i dont see iverson here cuzz he dont wanna come off the bench..but he might not mind...for sure a ring he will get here

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I really don't understand Miami's lack of interest, outside of pure tanking for a draft pick.

Chalmers is a nice bench player, but he's not starting material, and he hurts them with both his lack of scoring and the regression of his defense (he is getting lit up by elite PG's this year, rajon being the most recent)

Arroyo basically gives them nothing, one would think that they are one of the few teams where an older AI is CLEARLY better than their starting PG. Right now it's the "Dwayne and friends" show.

Would they suddenly be contenders? no way, but that's out for them this year anyway, and I think Adding AI moves them up from "team struggling to hold onto the 7th seed" to clear playoff bound team. Not for a deep run, certainly, but at least it might generate some interest from the fan base and gives them a slight chance of stealing a first round playoff series.

They would be a much stronger team, IMO, with AI at the point and chalmers coming off the bench against second string PG's. Right now they remind me alot of our teams before 07'. A team with one superstar (JO has left that area and fallen to "very good") which is too good to outright tank, but no where near dangerous enough to contend for anything other than a low playoff spot. They've pretty much consigned themselves to the middle of the draft, and as we all know from experience, not alot of championship level improvement comes from those picks.

If i were them, I'd sign AI to a 1 year + Player/team option for something approaching the minimum. keeps there cap room intact for 2010, and allows them to show AI the door if he doesn't fit into their plans next year when they get a shot at the FA pool.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:18:34 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
If AI joined the Heat, they could have the all-corn-row team going for them. They'd have AI, Haslem and could get Jermaine O'Neal back on the corn-row train.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I really don't understand Miami's lack of interest, outside of pure tanking for a draft pick.

Chalmers is a nice bench player, but he's not starting material, and he hurts them with both his lack of scoring and the regression of his defense (he is getting lit up by elite PG's this year, rajon being the most recent)

Arroyo basically gives them nothing, one would think that they are one of the few teams where an older AI is CLEARLY better than their starting PG. Right now it's the "Dwayne and friends" show.

Would they suddenly be contenders? no way, but that's out for them this year anyway, and I think Adding AI moves them up from "team struggling to hold onto the 7th seed" to clear playoff bound team. Not for a deep run, certainly, but at least it might generate some interest from the fan base and gives them a slight chance of stealing a first round playoff series.

They would be a much stronger team, IMO, with AI at the point and chalmers coming off the bench against second string PG's. Right now they remind me alot of our teams before 07'. A team with one superstar (JO has left that area and fallen to "very good") which is too good to outright tank, but no where near dangerous enough to contend for anything other than a low playoff spot. They've pretty much consigned themselves to the middle of the draft, and as we all know from experience, not alot of championship level improvement comes from those picks.

If i were them, I'd sign AI to a 1 year + Player/team option for something approaching the minimum. keeps there cap room intact for 2010, and allows them to show AI the door if he doesn't fit into their plans next year when they get a shot at the FA pool.

Exactly what I've been thinking. Miami needs someone to carry some of Wade's load.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
This would be great, I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

"The face of the franchise traded away, but years later he returns and leads the injury plagued team into the playoffs"

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

"The face of the franchise traded away, but years later he returns and leads the injury plagued team into the playoffs"

I don't really understand it though. They want him because Lou WIlliams is injured right? So when Williams get back and he gets his starting job back and Iverson goes to the bench, isn't this stupid cycle going to continue?

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 08:36:41 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
If AI joined the Heat, they could have the all-corn-row team going for them. They'd have AI, Haslem and could get Jermaine O'Neal back on the corn-row train.

LOL. Don't forget Beasley.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 08:40:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
They need somebody to help them sell tickets.  The return of AI couldn't hurt.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:53:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

This is exactly why i can't grasp Maimi's lack of interest. Seems like a short term AI deal does nothing but benefit them, on the court and in the ticket sales.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 12:04:56 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Yeah ... I think it would be kinda cool ... that city welcoming him back. Let's face it, they've done very little since he left, and he was the primary source for ticket sales for a long time ... just seems fitting somehow that he returns, the Prodigal Son.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 12:16:04 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

This is exactly why i can't grasp Maimi's lack of interest. Seems like a short term AI deal does nothing but benefit them, on the court and in the ticket sales.
Maybe it would help ticket sales, but I think a Wade/Iverson is a bad combination.  They both love to dribble too much to coexist well, in my opinion.  And maybe Chalmers has regressed on d, but he's still 10x better than AI on d.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:24:11 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Maybe it would help ticket sales, but I think a Wade/Iverson is a bad combination.  They both love to dribble too much to coexist well, in my opinion.  And maybe Chalmers has regressed on d, but he's still 10x better than AI on d.

Agree ... I can't imagine Wade and AI wworking together effectively ... maybe we're selling them short, but their game is just way too similar. Then again, if AI were coming off the bench ...
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 01:08:40 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I think it's a classy move by Philly, even if it's to sell tickets.  Regardless, they are at least showing that Iverson is still an attractive player in the league and it's not right that he would leave not on his terms.  I think they giving him another chance is something to appreciate while there are teams out there that are will happily throw a player under the bus.
Baby Jesus!