Author Topic: Playoff Games 4/25/08  (Read 17910 times)

Re: Playoff Games 4/25/08
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2008, 12:22:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The lack of Suns defense also will make this very hard.

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2008, 12:25:40 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Tony Parker is simply blowing my mind. What a performance. The level of composure and intelligence on the ball that he's displaying this series (and this regular season but this series especially) is nothing I've ever seen from him before.

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I can't believe I stayed up late for this. 

I, like most, can't get it out of their minds that this is the Suns team that can erase a 20 point lead in under 10 minutes. 

That team is dead. 

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Phoenix has some tough decisions to make this offseason because they are screwed. Shaq's contract is going to kill them for the next two years, and he's showing no passion for the game.  He's indifferent out there, truely a disgrace. Boris Diaw has quite a bad contract himself, but he's movable.

Next year is really their last chance to accomplish anything, but what I'm seeing from Shaq makes me believe that they won't be much of a factor.  They have to start thinking soon of moving Nash and try to get something for him.

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2008, 12:34:54 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Phoenix has some tough decisions to make this offseason because they are screwed. Shaq's contract is going to kill them for the next two years, and he's showing no passion for the game.  He's indifferent out there, truely a disgrace. Boris Diaw has quite a bad contract himself, but he's movable.

Next year is really their last chance to accomplish anything, but what I'm seeing from Shaq makes me believe that they won't be much of a factor.  They have to start thinking soon of moving Nash and try to get something for him.

I'd stand still for next season. Training camp will make a huge difference to this crew. It's impossible to change from Marion and their style of play to Shaq. They have no identity, they'll be able to create one during camp and throughout the regular season. There just wasn't enough time for this season.

For one, I'd like to see them use Shaq more in the low post, they've gone away from that as the series has gone on.

They need another wing or/and a backup point to let Barbosa concentrate on scoring. I'd consider moving one or some of the supporting cast but not their main guys (without there being some type of special offer).

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2008, 12:36:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Phoenix has some tough decisions to make this offseason because they are screwed. Shaq's contract is going to kill them for the next two years, and he's showing no passion for the game.  He's indifferent out there, truely a disgrace. Boris Diaw has quite a bad contract himself, but he's movable.

Next year is really their last chance to accomplish anything, but what I'm seeing from Shaq makes me believe that they won't be much of a factor.  They have to start thinking soon of moving Nash and try to get something for him.

I'd stand still for next season. Training camp will make a huge difference to this crew. It's impossible to change from Marion and their style of play to Shaq. They have no identity, they'll be able to create one during camp and throughout the regular season. There just wasn't enough time for this season.

For one, I'd like to see them use Shaq more in the low post, they've gone away from that as the series has gone on.

They need another wing or/and a backup point to let Barbosa concentrate on scoring. I'd consider moving one or some of the supporting cast but not their main guys (without there being some type of special offer).

They need to find a way to play defense.  They are no longer the fast breaking team.

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2008, 12:43:36 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The problem is that they have about 70 million tied up in 6 players.  One of them 20 million being Shaq that has shown a great degree of deterioration, and as I said... he looks indifferent out there; I don't see much hope of that situation improving.

They don't have the means to start adding players as they've been allergic to the luxury tax. We'll see how many veterans are willing to go there with a paycut when more promising teams out there will be also looking to fillup roster spots (Celtics for one). And they only have about 7 players under contract next year.  That's a ton of begging to fillup the roster.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 12:50:03 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2008, 12:48:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

They need to find a way to play defense.  They are no longer the fast breaking team.
They're absolutely a fast breaking team and they will be next year. They need to continue running.

They have one of the best fast break point guards in the game. One of the best fast break power forwards in the game. A great open court player in Grant Hill who is simply the best on that team at leaking out on the break. Then they have Raja who's solid on the break. That's a fast breaking team.

Then you go to the bench with Diaw and Barbosa. They should absolutely continue running.

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2008, 12:50:13 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Much as I like the guy, Shaq was a huge gamble that seems to not be paying off as was hoped. Maybe a little more time with these players will make a difference, and next year will improve, but it doesn't seem likely, at his age. Gotta give the big guy credit, he's been busting his butt running the floor and hustling, but he just plain can't do what he once did, and the Suns have so much money tied up in him, that it really ties their hands as far as their options for the near future. I really hope it turns around, for their good and the league's, but this is a discouraging performance, and I don't see much chance of it improving.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2008, 12:52:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

They're absolutely a fast breaking team and they will be next year. They need to continue running.

They have one of the best fast break point guards in the game. One of the best fast break power forwards in the game. A great open court player in Grant Hill who is simply the best on that team at leaking out on the break. Then they have Raja who's solid on the break. That's a fast breaking team.

Then you go to the bench with Diaw and Barbosa. They should absolutely continue running.

But they don't run. 

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2008, 12:54:21 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
This is the best game of Parker's career.

I still have a very strong feeling we will be playing San Antonio in the Finals...if we make it.

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2008, 12:54:58 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

The problem is that they have about 70 million tied up in 6 players.  One of them being Shaq that has shown a great degree of deterioration, and as I said... he looks indifferent out there; I don't see much hope of that situation improving.

They don't have the means to start adding players as they've been allergic to the luxury tax. We'll see how many veterans are willing to go there with a paycut when more promising teams out there will be also looking to fillup roster spots (Celtics for one). And they only have about 7 players under contract next year.  That's a ton of begging to fillup the roster.
Their cap situation doesn't bother me. They have the top tier talent to get the job done, they only need filler. Filler can be acquired cheaply.

I think the Suns have a very good situation on their hands, albeit very short term.

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2008, 12:57:46 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Flagrant?!? that was a poor call ... that was a plain old blocking foul, or moving pick, (if it were further out), but not remotely a flagrant ... geez!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2008, 12:58:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Not flagrant

Just a tired, lazy attempt to take a charge.

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
That flagrant call was ridiculous, TV officially turned off. Onwards to the Hawks-Celtics game tommorow! (Yes amazing, they're actually broadcasting a celtics game!)