Author Topic: Rumor: Pacers interested in Hayward  (Read 24415 times)

Re: Rumor: Pacers interested in Hayward
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
How in the world did "Pacers interested in Hayward" get to a discussion on Embiid?

Not why I opened this post!

Natural tangent regarding the value of Turner, I think.

Thanks Roy, that helps a little.

To get back, Hayward's overpriced contract for Oladipo & Turner seems like a dream to me.  Pacers would have to be in love with the Indiana connection. 
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2020, 11:43:04 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How in the world did "Pacers interested in Hayward" get to a discussion on Embiid?

To get back, Hayward's overpriced contract for Oladipo & Turner seems like a dream to me.  Pacers would have to be in love with the Indiana connection.

I think in reality it comes down to Turner for Hayward, because Oladipo would walk after this coming season unless you want to give him a long term max deal. If the Celtics can get Hayward to opt out and re-sign long term for a bit less money, would you still want to trade him for Turner and a one season rental of a still recovering Oladipo? I think you also have to take into account the development of Robert Williams and how this would impact him, escpecially since Williams is on a rookie deal thus is much much cheaper than Turner.

« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2020, 11:45:59 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

I think in reality it comes down to Turner for Hayward, because Oladipo would walk after this coming season unless you want to give him a long term max deal. If the Celtics can get Hayward to opt out and re-sign long term for a bit less money, would you still want to trade him for Turner and a one season rental of a still recovering Oladipo? I think you also have to take into account the development of Robert Williams and how this would impact him, escpecially since Williams is on a rookie deal thus is much much cheaper than Turner.

I'm sure 3 team deals could be worked out.  A lot of teams would want dipo.

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2020, 11:51:37 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Why not re-sign Oladipo if he’s proven himself?  If he contributes to a title when, awesome. If he doesn’t fit, trade him.

Like I said, he’s a Jimmy Butler level player that is available on the cheap. It’s somewhat similar to the Kawhi Leonard situation, where a pending free agents coming off a quad injury was available for way below market value.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2020, 01:25:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don't see the attraction for Turner.  He doesn't move the needle for us.  He doesn't help us against the Sixers or the Bucks (or the Lakers).  It is coincidentally funny that there is a podcast on the Liberty Baller's site now that includes:  "Why Myles Turner get destroyed by Embiid every time".   

« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
If Oladipo wants out of Indiana, given his recent health troubles this seems like a win-win for both sides with a bit of risk for us in that we lose a few assets if Oladipo walks (but pushes us over the top if Oladipo returns to form and re-signs; either way, we get under the luxury line this year and if Oladipo wants out next year then we have a manageable luxury tax situation and still have Sabonis...if we could get out of the 2022 first-round pick, great, but highly double Oladipo can be had without including at least three first-round picks):

https://tradenba.com/trades/Wr6eHWz7x

Roster:

Walker
Oladipo
Brown
Tatum
Sabonis

Smart
Theis
R. Williams
G. Williams
14th overall pick (hopefully a future PG)
Green
Edwards
Fall
2020 second-round pick
2020 second-round pick

« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2020, 03:12:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If Oladipo wants out of Indiana, given his recent health troubles this seems like a win-win for both sides (pushes us over the top if Oladipo returns to form and re-signs; either way, we get under the luxury line this year and if Oladipo wants out next year then we have a manageable luxury tax situation and still have Sabonis):

Roster:

Walker
Oladipo
Brown
Tatum
Sabonis

Smart
Theis
R. Williams
G. Williams
14th overall pick
Green
Edwards
Fall
2020 second-round pick
2020 second-round pick
Indiana isn't going to trade Sabonis and certainly not for that weak offer. 

« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2020, 03:15:57 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
If Oladipo wants out of Indiana, given his recent health troubles this seems like a win-win for both sides (pushes us over the top if Oladipo returns to form and re-signs; either way, we get under the luxury line this year and if Oladipo wants out next year then we have a manageable luxury tax situation and still have Sabonis):

Roster:

Walker
Oladipo
Brown
Tatum
Sabonis

Smart
Theis
R. Williams
G. Williams
14th overall pick
Green
Edwards
Fall
2020 second-round pick
2020 second-round pick

Admittedly, I’m ignorant of the Pacers, but my understanding is that Sabonis is a solid starter, occasional all-star, not a perennial all-star like his father (had he played in the NBA in his 20s). If he could be more than a one-hit wonder in terms of all-star games, I say throw in our 14th overall pick then. If we are certain we’re getting an all-star center for years to come, toss in our 14th pick and our 2024 first-round pick. That makes it five first-round picks (one of which is a lottery pick for sure), a lottery pick last year in Langford, and the rights to Gordon Hayward. That enough?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 03:22:44 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Anything is possible, I suppose...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 03:43:25 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2020, 04:17:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Roster:

Walker
Oladipo
Brown
Tatum
Sabonis

Smart
Theis
R. Williams
G. Williams
14th overall pick
Green
Edwards
Fall
2020 second-round pick
2020 second-round pick

Admittedly, I’m ignorant of the Pacers, but my understanding is that Sabonis is a solid starter, occasional all-star, not a perennial all-star like his father (had he played in the NBA in his 20s). If he could be more than a one-hit wonder in terms of all-star games, I say throw in our 14th overall pick then. If we are certain we’re getting an all-star center for years to come, toss in our 14th pick and our 2024 first-round pick. That makes it five first-round picks (one of which is a lottery pick for sure), a lottery pick last year in Langford, and the rights to Gordon Hayward. That enough?
He's only 24 and just made his 1st All-Star team, he's on a really cheap contract relatively (earning under $20m a season until 2024) and he'll likely only get better with Turner gone.

Hayward for Oladipo is probably a wash. Hayward was better in the most recent season, Oladipo has a better peak, and there's a $10m difference in salary.

So your proposal boils down to Langford, Kanter, Ojeleye, Poirier, #26, #30 and a weak 1st rounder in 2022. Throwing in #14 might be helpful, but there's no way we'd be able to send them Poirier and Ojeleye instead of one of the Williams'
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2020, 11:25:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Also on Turner, I keep reading that he can’t cover Bam.

In this year’s playoffs when matched up he held Bam to 8.0 points per game on 41.9% shooting and only 1.5 FTAs per game.

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612754/matchups/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Playoffs&sort=OFF_PLAYER_NAME&dir=-1
That doesn't come as much of a surprise to me to be honest, but my concerns about Turner lie elsewhere.

He matches up poorly against Embiid. Nearly a foul a minute of being his direct match-up, Embiid averaged 11.5PPG against Turner despite only being his direct opponent for 4.6MPG: 

https://go.nba.com/8xer

He also gets similarly dominated by Andre Drummond: https://go.nba.com/m7fb

Seems to be poor against the real powerhouse bigs

Luckily, Theis and the Celts can handle Embiid with our without Turner.
In 36.2 mpg, Embiid averaged 30 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.3 bpg, and 1.3 apg with a TS% of 60.0% in the playoffs.  I wouldn't exactly say they handled him.  That in fact seems like the exact opposite of handling.
Clever work using TS%, a stat inflated by foul shooting, instead of his pretty pathetic EFG% of 48.6% (around 4% lower than the league average).

Also conveniently ignored his assist:to ratio of 0.34:1, his averaging of nearly 5 fouls per game and his really poor defence by his standards. He also got swept, so...
His GameScore was 21.8, second only to Tatum in the series.  He was the only Sixers whos ORTG was larger than his DRTG over the series. 

And since when is getting to the line a bad thing.  He shot 59 foul shots in a 4 game series because unlike the original proposition, Theis, Kanter, and company couldn't handle him.  They let him do whatever he wanted.  His TOV% was actually lower in the series than it was in the regular season.  His FG% was down, but that was a result of him not shooting well at all from 3 as his 2PT% was identical in the regular season and post season at 51.7%. 

Embiid had a field day in the series.  Boston couldn't stop him at all.  He got tired because he was the only Sixer, aside from Shake Milton, that was seemingly playing basketball at all in the series.  Everyone else was atrocious, Embiid was not.
Lol, dude, game score? Seriously? That metric is just a lame attempt by John Hollinger to mash all the basic box score numbers into one.

His TOV% was lower, you're correct. Lower by less than 1%. His assist % was also lower. Lower by 9.4%. I can't seriously believe you'd argue that his passing and turnovers weren't an issue.

Do you think that maybe beating Embiid up with fouls and making him accountable on defence (where he was way less of an impact than he should be) could have forced him into taking threes on weak legs? He was also playing much more minutes than he physically is able to, and so he was a brick-laying machine in the last two games.

He wasn't atrocious. But the coaching staff were obviously happy to let him flail around in the key as much as he wanted because his passing sucks, and by extension he didn't impact winning as much as he should.
Teammates actually have to hit shots for someone to get assists.  The Sixers as a team shot 39.6% that series (and that includes Embiid's 45.9 - they were 37.8% without Embiid's attempts).  He definitely played more minutes, but when no one else is playing well, what is he supposed to do.  He had the best DRTG on the team by 5 over Horford.  To watch that series and act like Embiid is the reason the Sixers lost is just strange to me.
So when Embiid shoots badly you jump to his defence but when the 76ers scrubs shoot badly it's a disappointing effort on their part? Right...

Nobody, literally nobody in this thread even implied that Embiid was the reason Philly lost. Roy said Theis and Kanter handled Embiid, which they did, as his efficiency was down, his offensive rhythm was generally all over the place, and his team got swept. Then you leapt to the defence of Embiid.
You said his assists were down, which is why I brought up his teammates.  Embiid's 2PT% was 51.7 in the playoffs and exactly the same as his regular season average.  He went from 8.5 FT per game on 80.7% in the regular season to 14.8 FT per game on 81.4% in the playoffs.  He shot poorly from 3, without a doubt against the C's hitting just 4 of his 16 attempts (1 of 4 per game) in the series instead of his 1.1 on 3.4 attempts in the regular season.  However because of the significant increase at the line, his TS% in the playoffs was actually better than his TS% in the regular season at 60 to 59.

This notion that the C's somehow handled Embiid is just crazy nonsense.  He averaged 30 ppg and 12.3 rpg against the C's and actually increased his overall scoring efficiency because he was living at the foul line (which last time I checked is a pretty good place to be).  He even committed turnovers less frequently and stole the ball more frequently.  He committed fouls at right about the same rate and had only a moderate reduction in his blocking frequency.  Basically the only things he did worse than the regular season were shooting 3's and getting assists, though his assists were down in a large part because his teammates weren't hitting shots.

And it isn't like Theis or Kanter went off on the other end.  In around the same minutes, Embiid outperformed Theis and Kanter combined basically across the board (assists were really the only thing the C's did better, of course Theis and Kanter had teammates that actually hit shots).  And I know it isn't fair to compare the C's two centers to Embiid, as Embiid is a vastly superior player, but that is sort of the point.  When someone makes an outlandish claim, one that simply isn't supported by evidence, and then says scoreboard to support it, you know it is nonsense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2020, 01:44:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Also on Turner, I keep reading that he can’t cover Bam.

In this year’s playoffs when matched up he held Bam to 8.0 points per game on 41.9% shooting and only 1.5 FTAs per game.

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612754/matchups/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Playoffs&sort=OFF_PLAYER_NAME&dir=-1
That doesn't come as much of a surprise to me to be honest, but my concerns about Turner lie elsewhere.

He matches up poorly against Embiid. Nearly a foul a minute of being his direct match-up, Embiid averaged 11.5PPG against Turner despite only being his direct opponent for 4.6MPG: 

https://go.nba.com/8xer

He also gets similarly dominated by Andre Drummond: https://go.nba.com/m7fb

Seems to be poor against the real powerhouse bigs

Luckily, Theis and the Celts can handle Embiid with our without Turner.
In 36.2 mpg, Embiid averaged 30 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.3 bpg, and 1.3 apg with a TS% of 60.0% in the playoffs.  I wouldn't exactly say they handled him.  That in fact seems like the exact opposite of handling.
Clever work using TS%, a stat inflated by foul shooting, instead of his pretty pathetic EFG% of 48.6% (around 4% lower than the league average).

Also conveniently ignored his assist:to ratio of 0.34:1, his averaging of nearly 5 fouls per game and his really poor defence by his standards. He also got swept, so...
His GameScore was 21.8, second only to Tatum in the series.  He was the only Sixers whos ORTG was larger than his DRTG over the series. 

And since when is getting to the line a bad thing.  He shot 59 foul shots in a 4 game series because unlike the original proposition, Theis, Kanter, and company couldn't handle him.  They let him do whatever he wanted.  His TOV% was actually lower in the series than it was in the regular season.  His FG% was down, but that was a result of him not shooting well at all from 3 as his 2PT% was identical in the regular season and post season at 51.7%. 

Embiid had a field day in the series.  Boston couldn't stop him at all.  He got tired because he was the only Sixer, aside from Shake Milton, that was seemingly playing basketball at all in the series.  Everyone else was atrocious, Embiid was not.
Lol, dude, game score? Seriously? That metric is just a lame attempt by John Hollinger to mash all the basic box score numbers into one.

His TOV% was lower, you're correct. Lower by less than 1%. His assist % was also lower. Lower by 9.4%. I can't seriously believe you'd argue that his passing and turnovers weren't an issue.

Do you think that maybe beating Embiid up with fouls and making him accountable on defence (where he was way less of an impact than he should be) could have forced him into taking threes on weak legs? He was also playing much more minutes than he physically is able to, and so he was a brick-laying machine in the last two games.

He wasn't atrocious. But the coaching staff were obviously happy to let him flail around in the key as much as he wanted because his passing sucks, and by extension he didn't impact winning as much as he should.
Teammates actually have to hit shots for someone to get assists.  The Sixers as a team shot 39.6% that series (and that includes Embiid's 45.9 - they were 37.8% without Embiid's attempts).  He definitely played more minutes, but when no one else is playing well, what is he supposed to do.  He had the best DRTG on the team by 5 over Horford.  To watch that series and act like Embiid is the reason the Sixers lost is just strange to me.
So when Embiid shoots badly you jump to his defence but when the 76ers scrubs shoot badly it's a disappointing effort on their part? Right...

Nobody, literally nobody in this thread even implied that Embiid was the reason Philly lost. Roy said Theis and Kanter handled Embiid, which they did, as his efficiency was down, his offensive rhythm was generally all over the place, and his team got swept. Then you leapt to the defence of Embiid.
You said his assists were down, which is why I brought up his teammates.  Embiid's 2PT% was 51.7 in the playoffs and exactly the same as his regular season average.  He went from 8.5 FT per game on 80.7% in the regular season to 14.8 FT per game on 81.4% in the playoffs.  He shot poorly from 3, without a doubt against the C's hitting just 4 of his 16 attempts (1 of 4 per game) in the series instead of his 1.1 on 3.4 attempts in the regular season.  However because of the significant increase at the line, his TS% in the playoffs was actually better than his TS% in the regular season at 60 to 59.

This notion that the C's somehow handled Embiid is just crazy nonsense.  He averaged 30 ppg and 12.3 rpg against the C's and actually increased his overall scoring efficiency because he was living at the foul line (which last time I checked is a pretty good place to be).  He even committed turnovers less frequently and stole the ball more frequently.  He committed fouls at right about the same rate and had only a moderate reduction in his blocking frequency.  Basically the only things he did worse than the regular season were shooting 3's and getting assists, though his assists were down in a large part because his teammates weren't hitting shots.

And it isn't like Theis or Kanter went off on the other end.  In around the same minutes, Embiid outperformed Theis and Kanter combined basically across the board (assists were really the only thing the C's did better, of course Theis and Kanter had teammates that actually hit shots).  And I know it isn't fair to compare the C's two centers to Embiid, as Embiid is a vastly superior player, but that is sort of the point.  When someone makes an outlandish claim, one that simply isn't supported by evidence, and then says scoreboard to support it, you know it is nonsense.
His teammates were perfectly fine as complementary offensive pieces for a low post stud, they had plenty of shooting (they probably lacked a second creator to share the bulk of the offensive load with Embiid, but the core concept of surrounding a dynamic post scorer with outside shooters was satisfied with what the Sixers had in that series). Their shooting percentages sucked because a) they were up against an elite defence b) they couldn't get open looks consistently from Embiid because the latter is a subpar passer c) there was no second creator next to Embiid so they had to create for themselves at times instead of being pure finishers.

I think Theis and Kanter "handled" Embiid well overall, Embiid scored like a madman but his creation was pretty meh throughout the series. One-dimensional big time scoring doesn't drive elite offences, you need a blend of high level scoring and playmaking to do that and our centres prevented their opposing matchup from doing both. That's a pretty good job to me when you consider that one of our centres is 6'8 and shouldn't really be guarding behemoths inside for long stretches while the other is a defensive sieve in general.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2020, 03:15:12 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Why not re-sign Oladipo if he’s proven himself?  If he contributes to a title when, awesome. If he doesn’t fit, trade him.

Like I said, he’s a Jimmy Butler level player that is available on the cheap. It’s somewhat similar to the Kawhi Leonard situation, where a pending free agents coming off a quad injury was available for way below market value.
Cause we wouldn't afford to re-sign him.

Let's assume that

• The cap plateaus at $109,140,000 for 2 seasons, due to the impending recession.
  • We trade Hayward + Romeo + our 3 firsts for Oladipo + Turner (this is the trade proposed on page 1).
  • Tatum and Oladipo re-sign with the C's in 2021 for the 30% max.
  • Next year's pick ends up at #26 (just like this year).
  • We let Theis walk in 2021.
  • We somehow dump Edwards (let's say by using the Nets second rounder).
  • We fill the remaining roster spots with rookie minimum contracts (best case scenario regarding the tax situation).

payroll for 2021/22:

1. Kemba $36,016,200
2. Oladipo $32,742,000 (=30% of the cap)
3. Tatum $32,742,000 (=30% of the cap)
4. Brown $25,794,643
5. Turner $18,000,000
6. Smart $13,839,285
7. R. Williams $3,661,976
8. G. Williams $2,617,800
9. Celtics 2021 pick $2,331,600
10. rookie minimum $1,028,851
11. rookie minimum $1,028,851
12. rookie minimum $1,028,851
13. rookie minimum $1,028,851
14. rookie minimum $1,028,851
15. rookie minimum $1,028,851

dead cap
Yabu $1,039,080
Jackson $92,857

total: $175,050,547

Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000

The Celtics would be $42,423,547 over the tax line!

For a non-repeater, the tax breaks down like this:

150% for amounts up to $5 million over the threshold
175% from $5-10 million.
250% from $10-15 million.
325% from $15-20 million.
375% from $20-25 million.
425% from $25-30 million.
475% from $30-35 million.
525% from $35-40 million.
575% from $40-45 million.
and so on

$7,500,000 + $8,750,000 + $12,500,000 + $16,250,000 + $18,750,000 + $21,250,000 + $23,750,000 + $26,250,000 + 13,935,395.25 = $148,935,395.25 in luxury tax!

Fwiw, the biggest amount ever paid in luxury tax is $61.6 million (by the Thunder in 2018/19).

tl;dr
The Celtics would have to pay ~$149 million in luxury tax!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 02:53:01 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2020, 04:06:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The Celtics would have to pay ~$177.7 million in luxury tax!
Ooft, that would be an ouchy.

Maybe Dipo takes a Vet Min because he likes it so much ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2020, 04:16:06 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

The Celtics would have to pay ~$177.7 million in luxury tax!
Ooft, that would be an ouchy.

Maybe Dipo takes a Vet Min because he likes it so much ;D
Actually, I made a mistake in my calculations. The correct number would be $148,935,395.25. I edited the previews post. Still, you get the point. No way we could afford to re-sign Dipo.