Author Topic: Improve the bench  (Read 14650 times)

Re: Improve the bench
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2024, 09:16:36 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I know Bridges scares a lot of people with the off the court but for a win now move, I think this would be our best play.

Thankfully, Brad values character, and doesn't want to throw a toxic chemistry bomb in our locker room.  No criminals (except Joe).

LOL  :laugh: And I agree, the risk involved in such a move, in terms of affecting chemistry, far outweighs any benefit we might gain. Bridges' fit with this team isn't the greatest, to say the least.

It might work in NBA 2k though, where you don't have to worry about chemistry and someone like Bridges expecting to play 30+ mpg and take 15+ FGA per game given he's playing 37mpg right now and taking 17 FGA. And I doubt Bridges is in the frame of mind where he's prepared to sacrifice minutes and touches in a team with a clear top 6 already. He's trying to get paid after missing a year. And we would replace him with Danton, Mykhailiuk and Stevens who play sporadically and only for about 7 min a game when they do? Or take minutes from Brown and Tatum? Can't see it working.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2024, 09:54:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Saddiq Bey. Tillman. Naji Marshall. Nick Richards. Maybe Gallinari.

These seem like the realistic options given the Grant TPE as well and needs.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2024, 10:25:26 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676

Nick Richards would intrigue me.  MAYBE Tillman... he's having a tough year but the fit is there in theory.  The rest, nah.  Never been a fan of Bey. IMO Gallo has nothing left to give a contender.  Naji Marshall is okay but doesn't fit a need... with the way we stagger the Jays, we only really need one backup wing and I'm content with Hauser in that role. 

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2024, 10:30:18 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

Gallo scored 20 points for the Pistons tonight.

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2024, 03:13:07 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The Boston Celtics and Phoenix Suns are showing interest in Jae’Sean Tate.

———

Source: The Athletic

I’ve seen his name mentioned a few places connecting him to the Celtics.  He’s just slightly out of reach of the TPE.  I’m not too familiar with him.  He’s sounds like a shorter version of Lamar Stevens.  Is he really any better than Stevens?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 03:19:16 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2024, 03:17:59 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Why didn’t the Celtics use the G Williams TPE this summer on really anybody making close to the amount?  That contract would be so useful right now opening a lot more trade possibilities.  Was it just a financial reason?

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2024, 07:57:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Nick Richards would intrigue me.  MAYBE Tillman... he's having a tough year but the fit is there in theory.  The rest, nah.  Never been a fan of Bey. IMO Gallo has nothing left to give a contender.  Naji Marshall is okay but doesn't fit a need... with the way we stagger the Jays, we only really need one backup wing and I'm content with Hauser in that role.
That's pretty much where I'm at too. You have to consider who is giving up minutes for the new guy. Right now, Hauser is near the top of the league in 3-pt% and Brissett has put in some solid minutes lately. Consider the negative effect on team chemistry of bringing in another rotation player. This is why I prefer a center over a wing.

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2024, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Boston needs a PF/C player the most.  Honestly I think the next need is a true PG.  It'd be nice to have a real competent ball handler and floor general for the bench.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2024, 01:31:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think Saddiq Bey would be the perfect wing off the bench for the Celtics.  Assuming Hawks make him available.  Brad has enough 2nd round capital and TPE would work, as he makes about $4.5 mm. Bey has been playing better lately, so don't know if this makes him less available.

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2024, 01:37:09 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Why didn’t the Celtics use the G Williams TPE this summer on really anybody making close to the amount?  That contract would be so useful right now opening a lot more trade possibilities.  Was it just a financial reason?

Yes, the Celtics are unlikely to use the Grant TPE unless an emergency presents itself (I.e there’s an injury and they need to give someone significant rotation minutes).  They received some quality second rounders for Grant — the TPE was just coincidental to that move and is only a break glass in case of emergency asset.

That might change on draft night, when recent draftees often get moved, since those are the players that fit into the TPE, but for this year, it’s an option in case there’s an injury and you need someone specific.  Knock on wood it’s not needed.

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2024, 02:37:40 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Becasue adding 6.0 million in salary would lead to a cash outlay of like 30 million in salary+tax.

Same reason the 15th roster spot in empty right now, tax savings.

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2024, 02:42:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Not using the TPE or making any additions at the deadline would be extremely idiotic. Go all-in. And even if the guy seems "redundant", that's kind of the point. If someone gets hurt or needs rest (or is in foul trouble), they can come in and play some minutes. If you aren't letting guys like Walsh, Banton, etc. get many minutes then it probably means they won't get any in the postseason. Get a depth piece that's a bit more experienced and can fill a role. Center is my obvious choice but even a combo-forward that's big can help out and provide depth (or some injury insurance)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2024, 02:57:35 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Boston needs a PF/C player the most.  Honestly I think the next need is a true PG.  It'd be nice to have a real competent ball handler and floor general for the bench.

In the playoffs, we should have either Jrue or White on the floor at all times, so I don't view PG as a need. PF/C is our weak spot
I'm bitter.

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2024, 05:04:14 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Not using the TPE or making any additions at the deadline would be extremely idiotic. Go all-in. And even if the guy seems "redundant", that's kind of the point. If someone gets hurt or needs rest (or is in foul trouble), they can come in and play some minutes. If you aren't letting guys like Walsh, Banton, etc. get many minutes then it probably means they won't get any in the postseason. Get a depth piece that's a bit more experienced and can fill a role. Center is my obvious choice but even a combo-forward that's big can help out and provide depth (or some injury insurance)

It really isn’t idiotic.  Kornet has been perfectly fine as an emergency center, and in the playoffs with no back-to-backs and often 2-3 days in between games, you’re going with an 8-minute rotation in games you expect to be challenged in.  We can try to get a guy in the buyout market after we clear roster space, but people need to get used to the Celtics skimping on the back 7-8 of the roster if it means we’re spending big on the top 7-8.  People also need to prepare themselves that those second round picks we got on draft night and for Grant will be used to dump minimum contracts at the deadline this year and in the future, because doing so will clear $4-6 million in tax space (and 3-4x that in tax dollars) every season, allowing us to brush up against the apron without going over.  The Celtics have their budget and they’re going to stick to it unless it’s a necessity — and there’s no one attainable who makes $6.3 million that’s a necessity.

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2024, 05:06:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

In the playoffs, we should have either Jrue or White on the floor at all times, so I don't view PG as a need. PF/C is our weak spot
Sure that is a bigger need, but I don't really trust White with ball handling and Jrue is not an elite ball handler or play maker either (and obviously PP isn't either). The team doesn't have that guy. It is a need. Lesser than the PF/C, but still a need
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip