Author Topic: The Mickael Pietrus update thread  (Read 16043 times)

Re: The Mickael Pietrus update thread
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

And half of people here who are chasing Courtney Lee didn't know who he was.. Pietrus is the best solution, he's big, in shape, a great defender and can play, [dang] it.. Plus, he is eager to come back..

Courtney Lee has played a lot of minutes since his rookie season, including on an NBA finals team.  He is a better shooter that Pietrus.  The 2009 Magic started him over Pietrus when he was a rookie and they went to the finals.  I hear he's a capable defender, but admittedly I haven't seen him play much.  I'm pretty certain I remember him hitting one of those long buzzer beaters in an NCAA tourney game to bust my bracket.

I like Pietrus a lot, but Courtney Lee is simply better.  Assuming we can find a way to S&T for him, and pay him within our budget limitations, we should get him.

Re: Pietrus may also be out of the mix
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 04:07:36 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
i think think the Cs will offer him more than any other team...the full BAE, chance to start for a bit...and him loving the Cs...

Peaches loves the C's. I think he'll sign with Boston for the vet minimum. He's just doing due diligence saying he wants to play for an NBA playoff team for more than the vet minimum.

Isn't that like me saying I want a toilet made of gold?
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 08:05:42 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
So with the addition of Lee and Collins is there still room/money for Peaches?

I love the guy and would be glad to have him back.  Not sure if there are minutes for him though unless Jeff Green plays the 4, which I think is a bad idea.

Peaches is too good to be a third stringer, which he probably would be if he stayed on.

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187

I love the guy and would be glad to have him back.  Not sure if there are minutes for him though unless Jeff Green plays the 4, which I think is a bad idea.

Peaches is too good to be a third stringer, which he probably would be if he stayed on.

I actively hope that the Celtics re-sign him, even after Lee's addition.  With Pietrus in the fold, the Celtics are as close to "injury-proof" at the wings as they could conceivably be.  Consider that last season they had 4 potentially very useful wings in Pierce, Bradley, Ray, and Pietrus...and that ALL FOUR were injured come playoffs time, I don't see how they could possibly turn their nose up at getting a startable player with a definite skill-set of need (good defense against big wings, the corner 3) that also has experience in the system and is a great locker room guy for less than $2M per.

If there's a player that the Cs covet that they think they can get for their current resources, then fine.  If Pietrus just says no because he wants more playing time/money, that's also fine.  But if he's willing to stay, I think the Cs should jump all over keeping him at this point.

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
rofl somebody in here said Pietrus was betta then a steadily improving Courtney Lee? really tho? have yall watched Lee play?

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »

Offline st.jimmy222

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
i'd take MP for the BAE, guy that can guard big wing players? can't have to many against this league IMHO

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 09:54:59 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I will be upset if they can only sign Pietrus for the BAE, and do so.  That's a waste of resources.  They'd be better off signing him for his non-Bird max, which is only $300k less than the BAE, and either creating a little room with Jeff Green's contract to add someone with the BAE, or better (we'd be about $100-200k short of space assuming it's true that JG is scheduled to make $9 mil flat this season), or, better yet, saving the BAE for next off-season, and keeping the final spot open for someone at the minimum, and with $1 mil open in cap room to add someone mid-season in case of injury/ineffectiveness on the roster.

I hope Pietrus comes back, but the non-Bird should be his maximum.

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 10:23:48 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

peaches would be backup 2 guard until avery is back.

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
I will be upset if they can only sign Pietrus for the BAE, and do so.  That's a waste of resources.  They'd be better off signing him for his non-Bird max, which is only $300k less than the BAE, and either creating a little room with Jeff Green's contract to add someone with the BAE, or better (we'd be about $100-200k short of space assuming it's true that JG is scheduled to make $9 mil flat this season), or, better yet, saving the BAE for next off-season, and keeping the final spot open for someone at the minimum, and with $1 mil open in cap room to add someone mid-season in case of injury/ineffectiveness on the roster.

I hope Pietrus comes back, but the non-Bird should be his maximum.

As much as I want Pietrus back, I think we need a legit backup PG. If Rondo or Terry misses any significant time, we have no other option right now at PG. I would prefer re-signing Dooling and Pietrus to fill out the roster.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 11:53:25 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
In addition to their pursuit of Carlos Delfino, the Celtics remain very much in the picture for Mickael Pietrus. 

His agent, Bill McCandless, has told CSNNE.com that his client has had a number of teams express interest, but the connection Pietrus made with Celtics players and their fans is very strong. 

"I think it goes without saying that he loved it in Boston," said McCandless. "We'll see how it all works out in the end."

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Celtics-still-in-the-mix-with-Pietrus?blockID=742757

Interesting how this article seems to go to lengths to make a connection here, but nowhere does it actually say that the interest in mutual, only that Pietrus wants to return.  Look how that first sentence is structured, that is a brilliant twisting of words to give meaning to something that isn't there. I get the feeling that the Celtics aren't really that interested in him honestly. He's always been mentioned on the fringe meanwhile the Celtics have gone out and taken care of business by signing three guys who play the same positions as him.  And Lee is his prototype, a tough defender who shoots 3's.  There's really no minutes for him here at this point, especially when Avery comes back.

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 11:57:13 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If Pietrus wants to come back, we'd be fools to pass that up.  He'd be the best third string wing in the league. 

However, it'd be foolish for him to come here.  He'd be coming for the minimum to a 2/3 rotation that has no minutes for him. 

Not a good career move for him. 

Re: Christmas ?
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I would rather take a chance on Christmas.  Pietrus made too many mental mistakes in the play-offs.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

Re: Christmas ?
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 12:03:20 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would rather take a chance on Christmas.  Pietrus made too many mental mistakes in the play-offs.

agreed and he couldnt stand on his own two feet. dude fell down 4 times a game...i think he was still concussed,

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Anybody wish we could bring back Pietrus to stick on LBJ alone? after Paul and Green we have nobody don't want to see Bass on him ever again
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
If Pietrus wants to come back, we'd be fools to pass that up.  He'd be the best third string wing in the league. 

However, it'd be foolish for him to come here.  He'd be coming for the minimum to a 2/3 rotation that has no minutes for him. 

Not a good career move for him. 

This. I definitely want Pietrus back but he's an unrealistic option with Green and Lee coming in.