Author Topic: The media's coverage of Ray's injury  (Read 4250 times)

Re: The media's coverage of Ray's injury
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The circumstances of Ray's current injury situation seem very similar to KG's in 2009.

-KG suffered what, at the time, was thought to be a sprain.
-Injury turned out to be bone spur related
-KG tried to come back in reg season, but couldn't last
-Team said he just needed more rest, and would be back
-Team then got really misleading about the timeline, until finally acknowledging a comeback was unlikely
-Later, it was speculated KG would have played had we advanced past the 2nd round.

Basically, Ray's situation is almost an exact replay.  I'm just waitining for the speculation about Ray being available should we advance deep into the playoffs.  It sure seems as if the C's are basically holding him out knowing once he does play, he won't last long.

The really wierd part is though, during the 5 games when Ray intially came back, he looked pretty darn good though.  Really hard to tell what is actually going on here.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Don't blame the media - their just giving out the info that the Celtics are giving to them.  The franchise always wants us to believe our players are going to be ready to go when it counts

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »

Offline rayallen1934

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
The circumstances of Ray's current injury situation seem very similar to KG's in 2009.

-KG suffered what, at the time, was thought to be a sprain.
-Injury turned out to be bone spur related
-KG tried to come back in reg season, but couldn't last
-Team said he just needed more rest, and would be back
-Team then got really misleading about the timeline, until finally acknowledging a comeback was unlikely
-Later, it was speculated KG would have played had we advanced past the 2nd round.

Basically, Ray's situation is almost an exact replay.  I'm just waitining for the speculation about Ray being available should we advance deep into the playoffs.  It sure seems as if the C's are basically holding him out knowing once he does play, he won't last long.

The really wierd part is though, during the 5 games when Ray intially came back, he looked pretty darn good though.  Really hard to tell what is actually going on here.

the difference is ray has been a gametime decision so far, i dont remember KG having a game time decision during his injury

Although this might not mean anything either

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Part of this, since it's a pattern, is probably that the Celtics have decided that releasing reliable information can only help opponents. The Hawks don't know whether to game-plan for Ray or not.

It's frustrating for us, but it's an edge. I understand it.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
People, I think, are finding out the hard way how important Ray Allen is. People were silly to have ever forgotten it in the first place.

There's a saying: You don't know what you've got till it's gone, and this is every bit true for Ray Allen. He's extremely important to this team.

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

There is no way Garnett would be suspected of dogging it.

Garnett WAS suspected of dogging it.  When I get a chance I'll look for articles, but I know with 100% certainty that it was a pretty consistent topic of discussion on talk radio of whether KG really could have been playing through the pain of his knee injury in 2009.  There were a lot of people questioning his toughness at that point.

Pierce also has been accused on multiple occasions of faking injuries to play up the drama. 

The situations aren't exactly the same, but the point is, Ray is looked at as being above reproach, and I don't think its really fair.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 04:25:58 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I find it interesting that no one in the media will breach the idea that perhaps Ray could be putting himself above the team a bit.

This is a guy who was nearly traded for the second year in a row.  He then lost his starting job because of an injury.  And then he shut it down for an injury that he already has played through the pain of.

He also is going to be a free agent this summer, and it is likely that he will both be moving on, and likely looking for the last contract of his career.

Is it that far out of the realm of possibility that he just said "you guys haven't been loyal to me this year, so I am no longer playing through pain for you"?

If this were nearly any other player in the league, this story would have already been written, and fans would be all over him.  But because of Ray's public persona, and how well liked he is by the media, no one will go near it.

I brought up this point a few days ago and rightfully took a lot of criticisim, though i felt extremely guilty to even insinuate it i know it's at least a possibility.

Barkley, Kenny, and the TNT guys were discussing the fact he wasn't playing. They all said that if he's sore he needs to go. Play through it. They were all very surprisingly critical of him. And if anyone is in the know about a topic like this it's former players and peers.

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The media is trying to report news. If people want out there speculation, there are plenty of bloggers who can make stuff up without any standards.

There are a lot of injuries that may need surgery, but players try to play through them. This happens in every sport and on various teams. There are guys who might be able to play in the near future so teams wait and see. There is nothing to report in these cases because teams are just waiting and hoping. I remember one season where Michael Redd was always close to coming back, but never did for any extended time. Playoff teams typically have such players wait until there is really no more chance or the playoffs are over.

I understand some people have a need for closure, but medicine is very uncertain. Easy answers aren't there in cases like this, no matter how uncomfortable that is for how such people like to see the world. Sometimes all you can do is wait and hope and sometimes guys do come back. Look at JO last year. The team waited and waited, and then he contributed in the playoffs despite seemingly being toast for the second half of the regular season.

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
According to Doc Rivers...

Ray is practicing with the team and until the training staff say hes good to go, he wont play him.

So basically they are going to rest him until hes ready, if he never gets ready he will never play, if miraculously he gets well enough to play, he plays, simple as that.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The media is trying to report news. If people want out there speculation, there are plenty of bloggers who can make stuff up without any standards.

There are a lot of injuries that may need surgery, but players try to play through them. This happens in every sport and on various teams. There are guys who might be able to play in the near future so teams wait and see. There is nothing to report in these cases because teams are just waiting and hoping. I remember one season where Michael Redd was always close to coming back, but never did for any extended time. Playoff teams typically have such players wait until there is really no more chance or the playoffs are over.

I understand some people have a need for closure, but medicine is very uncertain. Easy answers aren't there in cases like this, no matter how uncomfortable that is for how such people like to see the world. Sometimes all you can do is wait and hope and sometimes guys do come back. Look at JO last year. The team waited and waited, and then he contributed in the playoffs despite seemingly being toast for the second half of the regular season.

I was with ya until the JO sentiments but some very valid points there. And to clarify my own comments i don't mean to disparage Ray at all i just found it intriguing that the TNT guys would take such a stance. They usually go out of their way to deflect criticisim of most players not ignite the spark that starts the fire.