Author Topic: The media is leaving us for dead.  (Read 5475 times)

Re: The media is leaving us for dead.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 10:19:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Right now every hot take has Irving going everywhere but staying in Boston, us not trading for AD for that very reason, and every other team in the league getting better practically. We go from the future of the East to nothing because of a single underachieving season with a logjam roster?

Honestly there's a chance we're tanking next season.  Things didn't work out at all.  Our roster lacks talent.  We're in a bad way.
Just because you keep saying this over and over doesn't mean it actually has any merit
It has merit.  If Kyrie leaves - all bets off.  At that point, Horford might bail.  Could look to shop Jaylen for a guy with more years left on his rookie contract at that point... maybe use #14, #20 and #22 to trade up a few picks if we like someone around #11.  We'd just go full youth and wait for Tatum to develop while we ride out the Hayward albatross.  Maybe 25-35 win team.
Lol. Horford has only given indications of wanting to stay regardless of Kyrie. I get that acknowledging that doesn't help this bad take.

Trading Jaylen Brown simply for more rookie years is simply stupid. When has Danny done something like that when Brown is a genuine gun prospect. Just because you keep harping on about him being a "fringe star" talent doesn't mean that that's how really anybody else thinks about him.

If you think that that team has comparable talent levels and coaching to the Atlanta Hawks of this most recent season then I have really nothing to say to you. That's a comically bad assessment that I don't think you genuinely believe
In his scenario you are taking Irving and Horford off the team and in that the Hawks probably do have similar talent.  Young might very well be the best prospect on either team and Collins isn't that far behind Young.  Huerter just made the 2nd Team All Rookie.  Spellman, Bembry, Len, and Waller-Prince all look like at least quality rotation level players if not more.  Throw in some cagey vets and frankly the Hawks are pretty similar to the Celtics without Irving and Horford.
And I take issue with his scenario in the first place considering Horford has given no indication of leaving. He's just made it up and acting as if it's going to happen
Oh I agree, but I also wouldn't rule it out either.  Al might not want to spend his twilight on a rebuilding team.  He hasn't said he is leaving, but that doesn't mean he won't leave either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 10:27:36 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Could it have something to do with titles for the Sox and Pats and a finals berth for the Bs?

...that’s the no. 1 story in sports. Possibly 3 out of the 4 major titles and another team that made the second round. That doesn’t happen. Rest of the country is sick of Boston success. Haterz.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Right now every hot take has Irving going everywhere but staying in Boston, us not trading for AD for that very reason, and every other team in the league getting better practically. We go from the future of the East to nothing because of a single underachieving season with a logjam roster?

Honestly there's a chance we're tanking next season.  Things didn't work out at all.  Our roster lacks talent.  We're in a bad way.
Just because you keep saying this over and over doesn't mean it actually has any merit
It has merit.  If Kyrie leaves - all bets off.  At that point, Horford might bail.  Could look to shop Jaylen for a guy with more years left on his rookie contract at that point... maybe use #14, #20 and #22 to trade up a few picks if we like someone around #11.  We'd just go full youth and wait for Tatum to develop while we ride out the Hayward albatross.  Possibly feed minutes to Time Lord as our new starting center.  Maybe 25-35 win team.  Tank for a top pick next year... hope to the basketball gods that Memphis doesn't go Sacramento on us and the 2021 pick ends up something tangible.  Maybe target the free agent class after Hayward rolls off the books.
this draft is deep with SOLID talent. Not superstar prospects but decent prospects.  No reason to trade up

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 11:01:22 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Much of the TV/internet sports media is based in NY. The people that run these networks are NYers. Yankee fans. Knicks fans, etc. Plus NY is the biggest advertising market.

Boston and NY sports markets overlap. There is a  competition for some of the market. Hence, Boston teams get negative spin  on TV/internet outside of Boston.

A big advantage the Yankees have is their Yes TV Network, which is plugged into many sports cable TV packages around the country. Whether or not you want it. Like ESPN. That's why Yes is a billion dollar network for the Yankees. They get 100% of its revenue, because it's a "local" channel. Local?

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 11:03:04 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

It has merit.  If Kyrie leaves - all bets off.  At that point, Horford might bail.  Could look to shop Jaylen for a guy with more years left on his rookie contract at that point... maybe use #14, #20 and #22 to trade up a few picks if we like someone around #11.  We'd just go full youth and wait for Tatum to develop while we ride out the Hayward albatross.  Possibly feed minutes to Time Lord as our new starting center.  Maybe 25-35 win team.  Tank for a top pick next year... hope to the basketball gods that Memphis doesn't go Sacramento on us and the 2021 pick ends up something tangible.  Maybe target the free agent class after Hayward rolls off the books.
this draft is deep with SOLID talent. Not superstar prospects but decent prospects.  No reason to trade up

Beyond the top two, I think this is the role player draft. Lots of talent all the way into the second round but as you say just solid players. We could use to add a couple of solid role players in the 20s maybe even with that second round pick.

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 11:22:12 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Someone just tweeted a reminder that Siakam from Toronto was taken at #27 in the same draft where Danny took Yabusele.  Now whenever I watch Yabu in a Celtics uniform I'm just going to be p---ed.  What a waste of a pick.

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 11:24:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Someone just tweeted a reminder that Siakam from Toronto was taken at #27 in the same draft where Danny took Yabusele.  Now whenever I watch Yabu in a Celtics uniform I'm just going to be p---ed.  What a waste of a pick.

who scouts for the Celtics.... they sure have wasted a fair share of picks. Sheesh!!!

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 12:06:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

m
Oh come on. You don’t believe that.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 01:17:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

who scouts for the Celtics.... they sure have wasted a fair share of picks. Sheesh!!!
Our recent stashed picks have not helped us at all!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 01:58:01 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

It has merit.  If Kyrie leaves - all bets off.  At that point, Horford might bail.  Could look to shop Jaylen for a guy with more years left on his rookie contract at that point... maybe use #14, #20 and #22 to trade up a few picks if we like someone around #11.  We'd just go full youth and wait for Tatum to develop while we ride out the Hayward albatross.  Maybe 25-35 win team.
Lol. Horford has only given indications of wanting to stay regardless of Kyrie. I get that acknowledging that doesn't help this bad take.

Trading Jaylen Brown simply for more rookie years is simply stupid. When has Danny done something like that when Brown is a genuine gun prospect. Just because you keep harping on about him being a "fringe star" talent doesn't mean that that's how really anybody else thinks about him.

If you think that that team has comparable talent levels and coaching to the Atlanta Hawks of this most recent season then I have really nothing to say to you. That's a comically bad assessment that I don't think you genuinely believe
In his scenario you are taking Irving and Horford off the team and in that the Hawks probably do have similar talent.  Young might very well be the best prospect on either team and Collins isn't that far behind Young.  Huerter just made the 2nd Team All Rookie.  Spellman, Bembry, Len, and Waller-Prince all look like at least quality rotation level players if not more.  Throw in some cagey vets and frankly the Hawks are pretty similar to the Celtics without Irving and Horford.
And I take issue with his scenario in the first place considering Horford has given no indication of leaving. He's just made it up and acting as if it's going to happen
There's been whispers.  Supposedly he wants to win a title.  If Kyrie leaves, he's not doing that in Boston.  My shock level if Horford opted out and bailed would be about a 6 out of 10. 

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 02:16:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Don't bother dude, he's gonna keep saying "we lack talent" in every single post
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 02:56:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I found "25-35 win team" truly funny. I guess it makes him feel better

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 06:07:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Much of the TV/internet sports media is based in NY. The people that run these networks are NYers. Yankee fans. Knicks fans, etc. Plus NY is the biggest advertising market.

Who have blown the Knicks basketball way out of proportion to their success level. 

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 06:28:32 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

if Irving and Horford aren't on the team, how many games do you think Boston actually wins?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2019, 07:15:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

if Irving and Horford aren't on the team, how many games do you think Boston actually wins?
Naturally it depends on who we draft (I'd hope for a Little - Kabengele - Windler / Grant Williams - Leque quadrant from our picks) as they'd likely get significant minutes. LB loves to dismiss all prospects available for us to draft as worthless role players. Wonder if he thought that about the guys Toronto has drafted and picked up over the years.

But if Brad got that 2014-2015 team to 40 wins I reckon he could get that team to at worst 35. I think Hayward would absolutely return to form, and Brad has a history of leading underachievers.