Author Topic: NBC Sport and race article  (Read 6609 times)

Re: NBC Sport and race article
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 03:24:21 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I didn't even quote Jesse did I?

"Shoot it!! ....like somebody"

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
My favorite part of the article was how it had absolutely no information whatsoever. It's not even an opinion piece because it doesn't have a perspective on what it's trying to say. It looks more like someone for Yahoo trying to get clicks off something Stephen A Smith said, so they slapped some nonsense words around the quote and called it a day.

As for whether or not Boston is racist, I don't live there but a close friend who grew up in Brookline and lives in Watertown now has told me there are still pockets of deeply racist Bostonians. More than other cities? I have no idea. But they're there.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 03:32:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
To answer the OP - I'd find it hard to believe that GH is the cause of ANY angst - and CERTAINLY NOT because he's white.

Dude can PLAY - just so happens he's white.

Sure - dude reminds me somewhat of Larry - especially his 2016-17 season in Utah. He was MAGNIFICENT - especially in the playoffs being the primary option. I'd think that nearly ANYONE playing basketball would LOVE to be compared to Larry Bird - even if they were Black lol.

As for the racial stuff? I think some - most - of this stuff derives from how Bill Russell was treated back in the day....some other athletes have said things about BOS...I've already posted them on here before and unless I'm asked won't post them again.

But it's THERE...the racial undertones. Is it fair? Nope...but it IS there.

It is "THERE" across the country...rearing its ugly head over the last 10 years it seems.

A young, intelligent, college-educated sailor I served with on my last ship in the Navy said his sister had a bad experience in BOS - based on race. He - therefore - assumed the worst about BOS. I told him that that wasn't a fair assessment of the city.

Heck - some of us here STILL don't want to forgive Ms. Jemele Hill - even though SHE apologized.....

If my sons played basketball and had an opportunity to play for BOS? I'd cry tears of joy and tell them go for it. And I hope that AD is NOT basing his decision on whether to STAY in BOS on history of the city. That wouldn't be fair - to himself OR BOSTON....

He'd be wasting a GOLDEN opportunity.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:46:36 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2019, 03:55:15 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
You could see Hayward fundamentally was first of all a very good basketball player but not ever a savant like Kyrie.

I think that pre-injury, they were both pretty equally skilled.  If anything, Hayward was regarded as a better all-around player because he contributes on the defensive end.  He doesn't have an elite skill like Kyrie's dribbling, but they were definitely on the same tier as a player, ranked in the 15th to 20th range.

I'm sorry the things Kyrie can do are not repeatable.Not only does Kyrie have elite dribbling skills, he has elite finishing skills and his use of backboard is jaw dropping.His ability to attack ,to drain dagger threes

That Hayward is a very good" basketball player" was not an insult but a compliment of highest order
And part of that is his defense but Kyrie is getting there he has drawn more charges than Marcus,did you see that slide for a loose ball to a pass up court- very Kyrie almost like a slide on a stolen 2nd base and unlike Marcus head first power grabs but effective and safer.

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Saw a podcast recently where they asked someone to give actual reasons Anthony Davis wouldn't consider Boston. Fact is, there aren't a lot of reasons. The two main things Davis wants is to play for a winner (his team sucks) and to be relevant (they were offended he didn't even get voted as an all-star starter and his team can't even fill their arena for home games)...

Boston checks ALL of the boxes. Potential to play for a winner, great supporting cast (if Kyrie stays), great ownership group, elite management, great coach, one of the 5 most relevant franchises in the NBA... it's a no-brainer.

The only two reasons the podcaster could come up with.

1 - Boston is cold

2 - Some still think Boston is racist

I was surprised this was still a narrative... that Boston is "racist" and that black players don't want to play here. That seems lazy and cheap. That said, I've spent quite a bit of time looking at the fan community turning on Kyrie Irving based on out-of-context quotes and I have to say (though certainly not in all instances), I've frequently seen an element of racism in the Kyrie hate. In some instances, blatant racism. It's disgusted me seeing what some Celtic fans have said. But to be honest, that level of racism I was seeing isn't exclusive to Boston. It's still a problem all over the Country. I saw similar takes on Carmelo Anthony when he played on the Knicks, for instance. There are crappy people everywhere.

That said, I had a private conversation with a black fan a couple days ago who actually made this exact argument - that Hayward gets favorable treatment, because he's white.  He pointed out that Hayward gets a ridiculous amount of love for "having done absolutely nothing".  I couldn't discount it entirely, but I honestly feel like the reason Hayward gets so much love is mainly because he's coming off a catastrophic injury where his foot fell off. We all just want to see him get healthy.  And certain, there's fans out there who have hated on Hayward.  You need only listen to my podcast with KG Living Legend to hear a fan ranting about what a dumpsterfire Hayward's season has been.  In the recent Jackie Mac article, Hayward admitted that he's actually had to avoid social media and start seeing a mental health counselor because of some of the negativity he's had to deal with.  He's definitely getting his share of hate.   But yeah... maybe he also gets a bit of a pass for some of his failures that fans wouldn't give a guy like Kyrie.

Again, as a white dude who lives in Seattle, my perspective on this is limited.  I've seen racism from Celtic fans.  It's bothered me.  Whether or not that makes the label of Boston being "racist" when compared to other cities - I don't know.  It's a problem everywhere.

I do wonder if you switch their circumstances, would the perception of each player be the same? I have an inkling it wouldn't. While Gordon does get some criticism, he's mostly gone unscathed. For example: people have called out Kyrie for some of the locker room issues and his leadership methods, but Gordon gets a pass. Yes, he is coming back from injury but he still has All-Star experience, has still been in the league longer than a big chuck of our roster, and he's still our highest paid player. Aside from Kyrie, players themselves have attributed the leadership of this team to Al and Smart, even Morris at times. His on-court production does deserve understanding, but his off-court leadership - or rather, his complete lack thereof - deserves more criticism than it's gotten. . I think a big aspect of him being able to avoid that, especially considering the hot take culture that envelopes Boston sports, is because he's a white player.
hogwash.  he hasn't gone unscathed here.  he may have gotten a bit of a pass at the start of the season but has the year has progressed that pass has disappeared.  skin color has nothing to do with his treatment.  He's being taken to task for his passive play and lack of productivity for what he makes.

his role in leading the lockerroom isn't significant at this point nor should it be in light of the fact we have players who've been here longer and/or been much more productive.  in short, he should be working on improving his game before he should be trying to lead this team.
If Hayward were here a while then got his contract then got injured, I would expect more of a leadership role. But he is basically brand new to this team and Brad's system this year. He shouldn't be trying to lead anyone. Not at this point. Maybe after a healthy year or so, but not now.
pretty much my point.
Yeah, sorry. I meant to react to what RJ was saying and hit your post by mistake. TP. Great minds think alike.

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 04:14:40 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
To answer the OP - I'd find it hard to believe that GH is the cause of ANY angst - and CERTAINLY NOT because he's white.

Sure - dude reminds me somewhat of Larry - especially his 2016-17 season in Utah. He was MAGNIFICENT - especially in the playoffs being the primary option. I'd think that nearly ANYONE playing basketball would LOVE to be compared to Larry Bird - even if they were Black lol.

As for the racial stuff? I think some - most - of this stuff derives from how Bill Russell was treated back in the day....some other athletes have said things about BOS...I've already posted them on here before and unless I'm asked won't post them again.

It is "THERE" across the country...rearing its ugly head over the last 10 years it seems.

A young, intelligent, college-educated sailor I served with on my last ship in the Navy said his sister had a bad experience in BOS - based on race. He - therefore - assumed the worst about BOS. I told him that that wasn't a fair assessment of the city.

Heck - some of us here STILL don't want to forgive Ms. Jemele Hill - even though SHE apologized.....

If my sons played basketball and had an opportunity to play for BOS? I'd cry tears of joy and tell them go for it. And I hope that AD is NOT basing his decision on whether to STAY in BOS on history of the city. That wouldn't be fair - to himself OR BOSTON....

I was complaining about the article and it's dredging up the race card..I thought it was a slap in the face to the fans and lovers of basketball.I stopped watching but i posted compliments on this board as to Danny and Brad and staying resolute in his minutes,Brad always calm and unflappable-he knew,i knew but it still hurt to watch the team go sour.

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 04:47:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I was complaining about the article and it's dredging up the race card..I thought it was a slap in the face to the fans and lovers of basketball.I stopped watching but i posted compliments on this board as to Danny and Brad and staying resolute in his minutes,Brad always calm and unflappable-he knew,i knew but it still hurt to watch the team go sour.

Understood. The sad thing is that articles like this can be used to divide and misinform. The writer "may" have been alluding to my comments about Bill Russell. It can STILL be a touchy subject.

As for Brad and DA's handling of GH I see nothing that they did wrong. In a perfect world he would've been force-fed minutes but we've had the blessing (and curse) of a loaded roster.

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 04:49:24 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I wonder what Stephen A.’s view is about why Brad continues to play Marcus Morris even though he’s been way off for about two months

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 06:17:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I wonder what Stephen A.’s view is about why Brad continues to play Marcus Morris even though he’s been way off for about two months

That doesn't fit Stephen A's egregious narrative of trying to paint Boston as a city that prefers to cheer for white athletes.

Let's also not forget that Stephen A is an unabashed Knicks fan. Think he has an agenda?

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2019, 07:07:17 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Quote from: SAS
And then there’s the element of Boston, Massachusetts. They don’t just want a star. Of course, they’ll take any star that they can get, because their priority is winning. But everybody and their mother knows that particularly when it comes to Boston, if we can have a white superstar, that would be even better. And they view Gordon Hayward as having that kind of potential.

So, all of those things considered, the players recognize this, were aware of this. And ultimately those who were compromised by having to be on a court with Gordon Hayward were sensitive to it.

Not because they don’t like him. Not because he’s not a good guy, because he is a good guy. It’s just that they know he hasn’t fully recovered 100 percent from his injury. So, he’s not the same as he used to be. They know he’s going to be a step slower. They know he’s going to be compromised. I have spoken to people in the league who literally have said, “Look man, no disrespect to Gordon Hayward, nice guy, but he’s really, really compromised right now. He’s not the same guy that he was.” And they said, “We actually kind of feel sorry for him, because he is a nice guy, and we know he’s trying to come back from injury.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-gordon-hayward-celtics-players-182429210.html

I think the idea that Boston prefers a white superstar is 30+ years outdated.

Ortiz, Pedro, Pierce, Mookie, KG...

Yeah,  I'd say so.
Then there are the non superstars that people loved

Rondo, Antoine, DJ, Reggie Lewis, Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum, Isaiah Thomas, Troy Brown, Ty Law, Vince Wolfork, DJ Martinez, Mike Lowell, Nomar, Manny Ramirez, JBJ, Xander.

I want it on the record that I never loved Brandon Bass. It wasn't a race thing but more of a hands thing.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2019, 10:55:43 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
crap article.

The Celtics had the first all black starting 5 and the first black head coach in the NBA.  Yes, Boston has had issues...but GH, Ainge and Stevens are as far from it as it can get. 

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This guy should've been writing about the Jazz fanbase instead.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2019, 10:08:30 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
And then there’s the element of Boston, Massachusetts. They don’t just want a star. Of course, they’ll take any star that they can get, because their priority is winning. But everybody and their mother knows that particularly when it comes to Boston, if we can have a white superstar, that would be even better. And they view Gordon Hayward as having that kind of potential.

So, all of those things considered, the players recognize this, were aware of this. And ultimately those who were compromised by having to be on a court with Gordon Hayward were sensitive to it.

Not because they don’t like him. Not because he’s not a good guy, because he is a good guy. It’s just that they know he hasn’t fully recovered 100 percent from his injury. So, he’s not the same as he used to be. They know he’s going to be a step slower. They know he’s going to be compromised. I have spoken to people in the league who literally have said, “Look man, no disrespect to Gordon Hayward, nice guy, but he’s really, really compromised right now. He’s not the same guy that he was.” And they said, “We actually kind of feel sorry for him, because he is a nice guy, and we know he’s trying to come back from injury.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-gordon-hayward-celtics-players-182429210.html

Yeah,  I'd say so.

I don't think our area strictly wants a "white superstar" but would they prefer one?

I think so.

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Yeah,  I'd say so.

I don't think our area strictly wants a "white superstar" but would they prefer one?

I think so.
Do you have any rational basis to this?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2019, 10:21:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah,  I'd say so.

I think so.

They prefer winning.  I really don't think the vast majority of fans give a [dang] about the preference of skin color if they're getting championships out of it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team