Author Topic: Shams: Monroe to C’s on 10-day contract  (Read 12665 times)

Re: Shams: Monroe to C’s on 10-day contract
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Best guess is that the C's are going to sign Monroe to back to back 10 day contracts and then maybe...possibly...sign him to a non guaranteed 5,337,000 (or slightly less) tax payer MLE contract on the last day of the regular season (April 10th) in order to use his salary if needed this summer in trade for Davis or possibly someone else even.  Need that extra body in the playoffs of course also but I would think the contract is of more importance to match salaries this off season.

The contract angle is interesting. If they use the MLE to sign him and then use his salary in a trade, does that mean they lose the MLE for the year? That would limit their options for filling out the team if they make the AD trade.

Re his usefulness as a player, I think people are forgetting that he was totally unplayable during last year’s playoffs. Painfully slow and turnover prone. There is a reason he’s available now - teams keep waiving him.

Celts will lose the MLE for this year, not next year.

After the trade deadline expired last February, it was reported the Celts will sign a player using the MLE and a duration of 2 years.

By doing that, Celts will be able to keep Smart and Horford.
They no longer have to be included in the AD deal to make salaries match.

That might be right - just want to be sure we’re clear. In this scenario Cs sign a player to the MLE this year, then trade him after the season ends. They can use the MLE slot the following season?

If that’s right it could definitely help in making salaries match. The downside risk is if the trade doesn’t happen you’ve committed the slot to an unproductive player who will cost assets to move. I assume Ainge only would sign Monroe to an MLE if he’s pretty confident he can make the AD trade work with Monroe in it.

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2019, 11:18:41 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Best guess is that the C's are going to sign Monroe to back to back 10 day contracts and then maybe...possibly...sign him to a non guaranteed 5,337,000 (or slightly less) tax payer MLE contract on the last day of the regular season (April 10th) in order to use his salary if needed this summer in trade for Davis or possibly someone else even.  Need that extra body in the playoffs of course also but I would think the contract is of more importance to match salaries this off season.

It's a good point.

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2019, 11:33:42 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Hey at least he knows the Raptors sets, right? ‍♂️

This is what I mean about Danny though, man. Makes absolutely no sense. Rob should be getting as many minutes as possible right now, so they sign a guy that was proven worthless to us.

Danny will never understand certain things and neither will Brad.

And if you look at it, they have NEVER developed any talent they drafted because of that ridiculous revolving door Danny creates.

He really does remind me of Pitino, and to a much worse level Jerry Krauss. Doing all kinds of idiotic things to prove he's so clever over and over.

Uuuugh...

Does it really matter if Rob loses his man a few times that they can't play him at all?  Absolutely not.

Brad and Danny needs to go

But yet they'll stick with a stiff like young and Mickey for years...which really didn't matter because they hardly got on the floor anyway.

Both those guys are young talent killers...no wonder Jackson told them to kick rocks.

Really reminds you of Pitino?

And another Cblogger with terrible hot takes and incessant complaining for 100...

I'm just tired of those 2 guys right now...one with his revolving door and the other with his bone-headed non effective defensive scheme.

Danny does remind me of the GM Pitino, and Brad reminds me of the coach Pitino.

They both need to go like Pitino.  Sorry to disrupt the great season you're having.

We're ranked 5th in defensive rating in the league.

We have a surplus of assets and young stars in the Jay Team, our young coach's only blemish this year is that he has been too in love with certain rotations, and been terrible at calling timeouts/making adjusted defensive assignments.

I would like you to look at yourself in the mirror while turning on any Pitino's highlights and determine for yourself whether or not Pitino is 'worse,' or even comparable to Danny Ainge......

This is what I mean about Danny though, man. Makes absolutely no sense. Rob should be getting as many minutes as possible right now, so they sign a guy that was proven worthless to us.

And if you look at it, they have NEVER developed any talent they drafted because of that ridiculous revolving door Danny creates.

He really does remind me of Pitino, and to a much worse level Jerry Krauss. Doing all kinds of idiotic things to prove he's so clever over and over.

Uuuugh...

Does it really matter if Rob loses his man a few times that they can't play him at all?  Absolutely not.

But yet they'll stick with a stiff like young and Mickey for years...which really didn't matter because they hardly got on the floor anyway.

Both those guys are young talent killers...no wonder Jackson told them to kick rocks.
Laughable. RWill is way too raw to be getting minutes.

Monroe gave us 10/6 last season. I love Rob, but he isn't even close to that.

Has Smart not developed at all? Has Brown? Has Rozier? What about AB? Or do those guys not exist?

The emboldened is especially ridiculous. "Does it matter if Rob costs us points while he's on the floor?" is essentially what you're saying, considering what our defence is based on.

Man, so much ridiculousness in one post.

And does Brad even have a defensive coach? Does he even have a staff this season?

Something is really really wrong this year.
Do you even watch the games? You can see the five assistants Brad has on the bench at all times.
https://www.nba.com/celtics/roster/coaches

No...I HAVE STOPPED WATCHING THIS TEAM.

It's also funny Rob gets less effective the more time he has under these dudes.

It's whatever though...sooner or later yall will see the obvious.

It's inevitable.

What does a rookie center have to do with anything?

What is he, Jesus? Going to block every shot into oblivion and lead us to the championship?

Get real dude, life and basketball, especially doesn't work because you can wave a magic wand, and any problems/chemistry issues will suddenly just disappear into thin air.

You mean Pitino being so hard-headed and rigid with his switching, trapping and ineffective system that basically gave other teams a good workout?

You mean Pitino being so impatient, emotional, and quick to get other players he thought would help his system because he was again so hard-headed?  It does sound familiar.

Do you really think Kyrie, Davis and Hayward are gonna take you to the promised land?  2 guys that can't play defense? With a defensive scheme that doesn't work and a coach that has no idea how to use a traditional big?

That sounds more like wand-waving to me than having a team that's more balanced with talented and aggressive players that's capable of defense.

But like I said...we will surely see.

Oh, and with Kyrie basically letting Davis and Hayward have the ball when he thinks it's their turn to score?

Next year is gonna be fun actually. I will bet anyone 14 tp's Brad won't be here at the end of next year.

Something tells me Danny will, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:44:01 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2019, 11:49:15 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Uuuugh...

And another Cblogger with terrible hot takes and incessant complaining for 100...

I'm just tired of those 2 guys right now...one with his revolving door and the other with his bone-headed non effective defensive scheme.

They both need to go like Pitino.  Sorry to disrupt the great season you're having.

We have a surplus of assets and young stars in the Jay Team, our young coach's only blemish this year is that he has been too in love with certain rotations, and been terrible at calling timeouts/making adjusted defensive assignments.

I would like you to look at yourself in the mirror while turning on any Pitino's highlights and determine for yourself whether or not Pitino is 'worse,' or even comparable to Danny Ainge......

Uuuugh...

Has Smart not developed at all? Has Brown? Has Rozier? What about AB? Or do those guys not exist?

The emboldened is especially ridiculous. "Does it matter if Rob costs us points while he's on the floor?" is essentially what you're saying, considering what our defence is based on.

And does Brad even have a defensive coach? Does he even have a staff this season?

Do you even watch the games? You can see the five assistants Brad has on the bench at all times.

It's inevitable.

What is he, Jesus? Going to block every shot into oblivion and lead us to the championship?

Get real dude, life and basketball, especially doesn't work because you can wave a magic wand, and any problems/chemistry issues will suddenly just disappear into thin air.

You mean Pitino being so hard-headed and rigid with his switching, trapping and ineffective system that basically gave other teams a good workout?

You mean Pitino being so impatient, emotional, and quick to get other players he thought would help his system because he was again so hard-headed?  It does sound familiar.

Do you really think Kyrie, Davis and Hayward are gonna take you to the promised land?  2 guys that can't play defense? With a defensive scheme that doesn't work and a coach that has no idea how to use a traditional big?

That sounds more like wand-waving to me than having a team that's more balanced with talented and aggressive players that's capable of defense.

Oh, and with Kyrie basically letting Davis and Hayward have the ball when he thinks it's their turn to score?

Next year is gonna be fun actually. I will bet anyone 14 tp's Brad won't be here at the end of next year.

You basically compared Stevens to Pitino, that tells me enough.

I don't get your AD, Kyrie, and GH rant to be honest.... How are 3 All-Stars not conductive to winning a championship? I was under the impression that the more stars you have, the higher chances of winning increases?

Also I will be willing to take you upon that bet of 14 TP's.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2019, 11:56:29 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Uuuugh...

Uuuugh...

It's inevitable.

I don't get your AD, Kyrie, and GH rant to be honest.... How are 3 All-Stars not conductive to winning a championship? I was under the impression that the more stars you have, the higher chances of winning increases?

Allstars are meaningless unless you have the right ones together.

Jayson, JB, and Terry will surely be gone, so who exactly will be stopping anyone?  You think Smart is gonna stop 5 guys?

More importantly, do actually believe Hayward is a franchise guy to build around?

As much as yall see my posts as being from a ranting lunatic, that's about the same way I see 80% of other posts on here.

We will see...and I hope I have more tp's to add to that bet next year :)

I don't know why you can't see how similar the systems are, because only their personalities are different and today's rules are different.

1 man, 2 man trap...whatever...only difference is they could atleast put hands on people back then. Today that style makes even less sense.

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2019, 12:04:04 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Uuuugh...

Uuuugh...

It's inevitable.

Jayson, JB, and Terry will surely be gone, so who exactly will be stopping anyone?  You think Smart is gonna stop 5 guys?

More importantly, do actually believe Hayward is a franchise guy to build around?

As much as yall see my posts as being from a ranting lunatic, that's about the same way I see 80% of other posts on here.

Terry/Jayson aren't exactly world-beaters on defense, and if anything, other than Brown, all 3 of those mentioned players are average defenders. Brown is excellent at 1 on 1, but he's awful at switching/slow to help defensive rotations. So tell me how a team that doesn't have that many plus defenders, but a great system implemented by a good coach, (apparently he's one of the worst based on your assessment,) but managed to dole out 5th ranked defense?

Rick Pitino relied on a lot of similar Louisville sets with the Celtics, and what works in college probably usually doesn't work in the pros sometimes. He utilized a lot of double back screens, and plenty of stagger options. Sure he used plenty of trap methodologies to force players into creating turnovers, but his system isn't as complex as Steven's motion offense nor his defensive schemes. The problem is Stevens used to make an effort to have double screens near the base line to create space for big men to shoot, and for cutters to cut on the baseline weaksides. Since this year, plenty of our players don't cut, or engage themselves on offense by running around off ball.

And who said anything about a franchise player in Hayward? I certainly don't, and it's unfair to expect anything less unless Hayward has shown or proven that he is 100% healthy.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:16:58 PM by Monkhouse »

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2019, 12:14:14 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Uuuugh...

Uuuugh...

It's inevitable.

Terry/Jayson aren't exactly world-beaters on defense, and if anything, other than Brown, all 3 of those mentioned players are average defenders. Brown is excellent at 1 on 1, but he's awful at switching/slow to help defensive rotations. So tell me how a team that doesn't have that many plus defenders, but a great system implemented by a good coach, (apparently he's one of the worst based on

And who said anything about a franchise player in Hayward? I certainly don't, and it's unfair to expect anything less unless Hayward has shown or proven that he is 100% healthy.

At least one of Jaylen and Marcus Smart will stay on the Cs if we trade for Davis, and I’m crazy enough to think we might be able to keep both of them.  We don’t have to give the Pels everything Davis is worth; we have to give them something better than the alternatives. I think Tatum, Williams, 4 first round picks, and salary filler gets it done. Result is a deep, versatile team that should be able to play together.

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Uuuugh...

Uuuugh...

It's inevitable.

Terry/Jayson aren't exactly world-beaters on defense, and if anything, other than Brown, all 3 of those mentioned players are average defenders. Brown is excellent at 1 on 1, but he's awful at switching/slow to help defensive rotations. So tell me how a team that doesn't have that many plus defenders, but a great system implemented by a good coach, (apparently he's one of the worst based on

In a tradition defense, all those guys are capable of being lock-down defenders.  Al would be much more effective and so would Morris, Ojeleye, Theis, Baynes, Williams....basically everybody.

Terry can stay in front of anyone if he put his mind to it, and Jayson has length and physical gifts to roam around like Scottie. JB is quick and strong enough to give the other teams fits too. Matter fact, the only reason why they're even seen as a defensive powerhouse is because of the personnel...NOT the system.

It amazes me how everyone gives that system a pass. If you can even call it that from what i've seen most of the year.

And if you don't see Hayward like that, then why does everybody want that team next year, while giving away the young guys to do it?

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2019, 12:36:28 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
And MAYBE...the problem with this team is because the wrong point guard is leading it.  I don't know how a scorer who can't slow anyone down is supposed to be a catalyst for that kind of aggressive defensive scheme.

That scheme dies at the head of the snake...Kyrie.

Make what you will of that...and because they even have that problem, I have no more faith in  this team.

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2019, 12:43:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This thread is honestly hilarious right now
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Did I just read that Tatum has the gifts to be pippen on defense????

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2019, 01:03:38 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
So I guess when Tatum is actually not out of position and pins someones shot on the backboard is not really happening or is just basically pure luck.

OK ...but then this entire team stays out of position.  Who's fault is that?

And that's another boneheaded thing. If it's alright for Tatum to get lost on defense, but a guy that can change shots can't even get in the game because of it...that's says a hell of alot about why this team is so disorganized.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:10:52 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
This thread is honestly hilarious right now

If Kyrie is gonna be the starter, then they desperately need to go to a more traditional defense.

For the entire teams sake. 

If they want an aggressive, switching, smothering defense, then they have the wrong point guard.

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Uuuugh...

Uuuugh...

It's inevitable.

In a tradition defense, all those guys are capable of being lock-down defenders.  Al would be much more effective and so would Morris, Ojeleye, Theis, Baynes, Williams....basically everybody.

Terry can stay in front of anyone if he put his mind to it, and Jayson has length and physical gifts to roam around like Scottie. JB is quick and strong enough to give the other teams fits too. Matter fact, the only reason why they're even seen as a defensive powerhouse is because of the personnel...NOT the system.

It amazes me how everyone gives that system a pass. If you can even call it that from what i've seen most of the year.

And if you don't see Hayward like that, then why does everybody want that team next year, while giving away the young guys to do it?

Traditional defense? You mean strictly man to man defense?... I don't get your point, and also NOT every roster or team has the luxury of having above average defender. That is just not how things work in the NBA. Plus the new set of rules that protect guards and prevent hand-checking has made it almost impossible to completely shut and lock down another player.

Ummm, sure Rozier could lock down someone, but when's the last time that has actually happened? Putting your mind sounds like something my guidance counselor used to once tell me. But I then asked her the same question, "If you put your mind to it, wouldn't you want to be something other than a middle school public school guidance counselor with your life?" Needless to say, that conversation and discussion didn't end on good terms lol.

Also, I know you did not just compare one of the greatest defensive small forwards in the history of the NBA to Jayson Tatum...

The players are defined by how successful they are at buying into the system... The system doesn't defy how successful players are... It's the same argument people made that Kawhi was simply a 'system,' player. That was inherently true at first, but later on Kawhi became the 'system,' just like how Steph Curry is the 'system,' to his team's offense.

As for the Hayward part, well... It's not like he's a slouch on offense/defense. We've seen what type of player Hayward can become, it's just whether or not he can reach any semblance of that in propensity. A big 3 of Kyrie, Gordon, and AD is pretty devastating.

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2019, 01:17:22 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Moose left some unfinished bussiness here. I think it has something to do with the jewelry.
Plus he brought 2 tombs of Raptors playbook with him.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."