Author Topic: Which NBA player are you most similar to?  (Read 20096 times)

Which NBA player are you most similar to?
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:24:39 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I thought this would be a fun exercise, as I assume a good portion of us play in some sort of rec league if we're not ultra-talented collegiates or professionals.

For my NBA comparison, I have to go with Goran Dragic mixed with a little bit of Ginobili.

I'm a small lefty guard who's not overly athletic, but quick and decisive. I'm not going to jump over you, however I still manage to get to the rim a lot due to craftiness and some deceptive moves. I've been working on my floater since I was a small child, as I was always short and needed to get my shot over bigger defenders.

I was raised by a father who was a basketball coach, so I think my IQ is fairly high and I'm comfortable handling the ball and running the point. My jumper is not always consistent but when it starts falling I get into a rhythm pretty quickly. I guess I'm a little streaky you could say.

Anyways, curious to see how some of you guys play. Who's joining me on the Celticsblog all-star team?  ;D
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Re: Which NBA player are you most similar to?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:32:38 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Brian Scalabrine
I give awesome high 5's and talk mad trash

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:33:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm like a way shorter, less athletic version of Joel Anthony.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:34:24 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
They called me Wildthing back in the day.   I made so many unorthodox shots.  My mid range game and ability to score around the basket lead to All San Diego/Southern California in 1995!   Yep the count down to 40 begins!   

Now I'm shorter and 250.  Now they call me Jay Diggles, the only moves i have now is on the dance floor.  Out there I have more moves than a U-Haul.   

So basically, I still have the foot work.   I'm a little bit of Even Turner/Bird and Paul Piece!   Its not always pretty when it comes to Paul and Bird.....    But my handles and spin move are pretty like Turner.   

Cheers.... Happy Cinco de Drinko! 
Diggles

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:40:49 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Eddie house before i injured my wrist. Tried emulating PP's game but sadly only could manage the step back. I could shoot with very quick release even with a hand in my face, i defend better than eddie(was known for my d) but like eddie, cannot play point or dribble drive or backcourt pass or rebound

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:50:10 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Honestly I think I'm a hybrid of Marcus smart and Avery Bradley.

I pride myself on my defense, and I always take on the scorer or the main ball handler (more Avery than Marcus)
I am a very streaky shooter, and I might go on super long cold streaks, but when I'm hot, boy am I hot (Marcus)
I'm admittedly a little chubby, but also I feel I'm somewhat built/swole given my height (5'10") (Marcus)
I'm a little out of control when I drive to the rim, and I feel I'm fouled a lot but don't get calls (Marcus)
I have a normal haircut and I don't flop (Avery)

I guess you could say I'm mostly Marcus smart, with a touch of Avery Bradley too

This is a fun post, OP. Here's a TP
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm a mix of Wade, Lebron and Have KG's intensity, without the height skill or athleticism :police:

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 09:03:28 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The only viable physical attribute I share with an NBA player is height.  Oh and that's only with IT.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 09:04:40 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think my game is pretty similar to gerald wallace's with a post game.
I'm a good defender and shotblocker and not afraid to dive after loose balls or to take a charge.
But I'm not a great shooter or ball handler and I rely mostly on my athleticism to score.
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I'm kind of like a non athletic tony Allen who can't really jump. I'm 6'4 with a 6'10 wingspan, and I can't shoot. I pride myself on "containment" defense, namely making sure their shot is contested. Not big on steals, but once in awhile it's a block party out here. Can play bigger than my size on the boards due to good fundamentals on boxing out (grew early so I was always a undersized center or big forward at medium sized schools) and my nutty long arms.

My offensive game is mainly cutting hard to the basket. If I have a big size mismatch I can take it in the post and do post fades pretty well.

Mostly I'm used as a roll man on the wing because I can set hard screens. If I'm feeling good that day I can also dribble and pass pretty well. If we are up I like to do no look passes lol. Was addicted to rondo fakes for awhile.

#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Let me join ;D ;D ;D I reflect my game like Doug Christie, with more D. I'm  more of a defensive minded player. One of the reason why I am a fan Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 09:22:12 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Steve Novak.  Deadly 3-point shooter (although I wasn't that deadly) but otherwise basically worthless if the shot wasn't falling.

I was very competitive and did give 100% effort on defense even if I was getting repeatedly torched by others guys though.  So what the heck, toss a little bit of KG in there  :D

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 09:28:51 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Ha! This is a good thread.

This is going to sound really awkward, but here it goes - a much better offensive version and lesser defensive version of Smart.

When I was at my best (after getting tired of being a benchwarmer in college and just playing pick-up and rec ball), I was 5'10" 210 lbs. with 10% body fat. I'm built much more like a football player than a basketball player. I can't jump, I'm slow, and I have t-rex arms, but I have a quick first step.

Offensively, I'd try and overpower the defense on penetration and drives (like Smart), but I was a better ballhandler than Smart and a much, much better shooter. I had 50/40/75 seasons my junior and senior years in basketball, and I averaged 24 and 8 and 22 and 8 those years in points and assists (small school and conference, obviously).

Defensively, I'd play the physical, on-ball D like Smart, and I've always been a good team-defender.

If I played now, I'd look like Sully out there  :P ;D

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 09:30:49 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Tyler Hansbrough.

Good post game, with solid midrange game.

Good positioning on defense, but lack athletic ability to make a lot of big plays.

Quality rebounder, though height and lack of jumping sometimes hampers that.

Will not back down from anyone, and am not afraid to get a little dirty. I also can set a mean pick.

But an extremely,  extremely poor man's Hansbrough.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:57:37 PM by wayupnorth »

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 09:31:20 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think my game is pretty similar to gerald wallace's with a post game.
I'm a good defender and shotblocker and not afraid to dive after loose balls or to take a charge.
But I'm not a great shooter or ball handler and I rely mostly on my athleticism to score.

See, I'm just the opposite. I was a skilled player who had 0 athleticism to work with. It amazes me how much basketball relies on good athleticism. I've always cursed my parents for ultimately making me shorter and not very athletic.  ;D