Author Topic: Nets hiring D'Antoni  (Read 2883 times)

Re: Nets hiring D'Antoni
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 07:48:19 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Per Irving and Durant everyone is a coach so I guess this move doesn’t matter.  ;D

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 08:11:21 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I wonder whether Jarrett Allen may become available. Don't think he'd be a good fit in D'Antoni's system. Not to mention, he doesn't share the same time window with KD and Kyrie.
This is my hope. I would like to steal him for cheap.

They'll probably start KD at the 5 and DJ will be their bench big anyway, knowing D'Antoni ;)
I'm on the fence about Allen.

- I can't tell whether he'd be a good fit in our defensive system. CBS wants his starting Center to switch ball screens on the perimeter. The Nets aren't using him the way CBS would use him.
- He ain't an offensive threat outside the paint. Imo, he'd be a bad fit next to Brown who's an excellent slasher.
- He's about to hit free agency in 2021. That's the season Tatum's max will kick in.

That being said, he's a tantalizing prospect. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on these questions:

1. What's a reasonable trade package for Allen?
2. In a vacuum, is he a better prospect than Timelord?
3. How much will he command on the open market?

Imo, Allen has the higher floor between the 2. Timelord has the higher ceiling. Really not sure who's the better prospect.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:11:19 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 08:43:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wonder whether Jarrett Allen may become available. Don't think he'd be a good fit in D'Antoni's system. Not to mention, he doesn't share the same time window with KD and Kyrie.
This is my hope. I would like to steal him for cheap.

They'll probably start KD at the 5 and DJ will be their bench big anyway, knowing D'Antoni ;)
I'm on the fence about Allen.

- He ain't mobile enough to play D on the perimeter --> bad fit in our defensive system
- He ain't an offensive threat outside the paint --> bad fit next to Brown who's an excellent slasher
- He's about to hit free agency in 2021. That's the season Tatum's max will kick in.

That being said, he's a tantalizing prospect. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on these questions:

1. What's a reasonable trade package for Allen?
2. In a vacuum, is he a better prospect than Timelord?
3. How much will he command on the open market?

Imo, Allen has the higher floor between the 2. Timelord has the higher ceiling. Really not sure who's the better prospect.
I think I agree with your assessment in your last line.

Allen is already a pretty easy walking double-double when he is given the minutes. In the 17 games he played 30+ minutes he averaged 14.7PPG, 11.7RPG, 2BPG and 2.6FPG. I know it's not the be-all and end-all, but his net rating was a whopping +33 in those 17 games. He also shot 69% from the field and turned it over 1.3 times per game. I think if given the chance he could do 14/11/2 over a whole season.

Williams, on the other hand, hasn't really come close to that production. That being said, he's already shown to be massively disruptive on the defensive end, and despite his rawness defensive metrics love him. I think his passing and defence is a cut above Allen's, whereas Allen is a better rebounder, scorer, and is much more consistent. Williams is a bit older too.

I think I'd prefer Allen
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)