Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238800 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #1005 on: September 16, 2018, 11:21:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
To comment on a few things being discussed here, I've seen them all play including Bill Russell and Robert Parish.

Russell was about the same size as Robert Williams, and probably had similar jumping ability. He was a world class high jumper at USF when USF had great sports teams. Bill was strictly defensive, and got most of his points on putbacks and dunks. He almost prided himself (he and Shaq used to laugh about it) in his inability to shoot foul shots. It didn't matter on his teams.

Robert Parish, when he came over from Golden State, was quite a pick up by Red in that draft trade which got him McHale, too.  Parish was known as a very good shooter for a center--had a good jump shot around the key. Very good for a big man. 7 feet and bigger than Russell, though he couldn't jump like Bill--but didn't need to. He was never known for his D like Russell, but he held his own, and with Bird and McHale, formed the best frontcourt of that era. He was also a very good free throw shooter. That frontcourt had great chemistry.

Williams is more a Russell than a Parish. In terms of style and tools. But he obviously has a long way to go to come close to Russell in performance. In Danny Ainge's dreams.

Tp Bob. My sentiments as well.

« Reply #1006 on: September 16, 2018, 11:48:27 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

https://youtu.be/JN1F8zNvu8o

He was quick off his feet, but he was no where near the athlete Bill or Bob Williams.

WOW forgot what a force Chief was on the court, and boy could Bird pass the basketball. I noticed Chief in a couple of foreign uniforms. Which teams did he play for after the Cs?

After Boston he played small roles for Charlotte and then Chicago and he started his career in Golden State.

EDIT: TP to gouki88
Back at ya! His longevity was ridiculous, was a starting caliber centre for nearly 20 years and a darn good one at that

TP to gouki88 and Big....

« Reply #1007 on: September 17, 2018, 01:36:41 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

As for Williams, there have been numerous players as athletic as him or more.

Yes, though few at his size.

He could end of being Capela or he could end up being Sean Williams.

That about sums it up.

Well chosen comps, by the way, with similar builds.

However, based on NBA history as it relates to athletic bigs with limited skills drafted late in the first round, odds are he's closer to the latter.

Very reasonable, as far as it goes - it being a broad generality that doesn’t consider who he is.

Looks like he fell at least in part because of his medical issue - and perhaps his off-court issue played a role as well. I think that he’s better than 27. I think he can rim-protect, rebound, and switch onto smaller players in the NBA, at least.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #1008 on: September 17, 2018, 02:50:33 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Marcus will use pick and roll all night with him on 2nd unit
He is 20 and there is no necessity to rush the kid.
His standing jump reach is 12 feet or over.
We are all excited because it's been forever since we have had a big man with these tools and to be picked up at 27.Kevin McHale should be used to coach this guy along with Horford. Even Cedric Maxwell could throw in some hours
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:56:39 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1009 on: September 17, 2018, 02:59:34 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

We are all excited because it's been forever since we have had a big man with these tools

We are?

« Reply #1010 on: September 17, 2018, 06:33:54 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
People are really sleeping on Rob

To say that he is a athletic big with low skill level is completely untrue

He is a pretty good passer and has great vision, a great rebounder and shot blocker, can switch on guards even in NBA, has high BBall IQ and feel for the game, not to mention he has shooting touchs, only need to fix the mechanism

His absolute ceiling is Bill Russel who can shoot and pass better, now i don't think he can be that good because he isn't that competitive and healthy, but he is much more a Bill Russel than a Sean Williams, definitely better than D.Jordon and Capela

Now we know his work ethic is fine the only that can hold him back is his knee injury

« Reply #1011 on: September 17, 2018, 06:35:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

We are all excited because it's been forever since we have had a big man with these tools

We are?

Absolutely.

« Reply #1012 on: September 17, 2018, 06:37:44 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

We are?

Absolutely.
Not true.  Intrigued, yes.  Excited?  Not really.

« Reply #1013 on: September 17, 2018, 06:41:32 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He is a pretty good passer and has great vision, a great rebounder and shot blocker, can switch on guards even in NBA, has high BBall IQ and feel for the game, not to mention he has shooting touchs, only need to fix the mechanism

His absolute ceiling is Bill Russel who can shoot and pass better, now i don't think he can be that good because he isn't that competitive and healthy, but he is much more a Bill Russel than a Sean Williams, definitely better than D.Jordon and Capela

Now we know his work ethic is fine the only that can hold him back is his knee injury
You don't know any of this.  This is really far fetched stuff.  The number 27 pick who hasn't shown anything other than having bad knees and missing flights is definitely better than an allstar center?  Ridiculous.

« Reply #1014 on: September 17, 2018, 06:41:59 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Who knows?  We don't have any more to go on than we did when he was drafted.  There's hints of maturity issues, but he's only 20.  Plus, he's not getting many minutes this season.  I bet we are back here in Sept 2019 with the same questions.

« Reply #1015 on: September 17, 2018, 06:54:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You don't know any of this.  This is really far fetched stuff.  The number 27 pick who hasn't shown anything other than having bad knees and missing flights is definitely better than an allstar center?  Ridiculous.
Yeah. DJ has multiple All-NBA & All-Defence teams alongside 2 rebounding championships. Crazy talk
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1016 on: September 17, 2018, 07:01:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I think that comparing to Bill Russell, who is the ultimate champion of the USA, won NBA titles, Olympic Title, 2 NCAA titles is ridiculous.  It just displays how poor a grasp of you have of Bill Russell accomplishments, which I think will never be duplicated.

« Reply #1017 on: September 17, 2018, 07:07:36 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

I think that comparing to Bill Russell, who is the ultimate champion of the USA, won NBA titles, Olympic Title, 2 NCAA titles is ridiculous.  It just displays how poor a grasp of you have of Bill Russell accomplishments, which I think will never be duplicated.
I'm not comparing their achievement but as a player , achievement are related to their environment more than their abilities

« Reply #1018 on: September 17, 2018, 07:34:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'm not comparing their achievement but as a player , achievement are related to their environment more than their abilities
It's still a ridiculous comparison. Russell is the second best rebounder of all time, the best defensive player of all time, and one of the better passing bigs of all time, all the while constantly having to leap over massive societal hurdles due to his race.

RWill's career college averages are roughly half what Bill did. Half.

You're also saying he's better than a top 5 post-2010 center of the NBA, and a guy coming off averaging a double-double while starting for the team with the best record in league, while RWill hasn't played a single NBA game yet
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1019 on: September 17, 2018, 08:21:21 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
It is fun to speculate as to how good you think a guy like this will be based on very little competitive paying time.  All I have seen so far are the highlight film collage files.  Based on those, I will say that he is no Fab Melo.  He is keeping up with the game based on speed and reactions (which Fab could not).  This is a fairly basic prerequisite but for a big especially, an important one.

I am bought in.  I like what I see.  I think you can't ask for more from the 27th pick.  But he is still the 27th pick.  Great situation for him to come along slowly.  I think he will stick in the NBA.  I also think he will see some minorly meaningful minutes this season.  That is my bold prediction.  Again, if this comes through, not bad for #27.