Author Topic: Scottie Pippen vs. Dwyane Wade: Who ya got?  (Read 24776 times)

Re: Scottie Pippen vs. Dwyane Wade: Who ya got?
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 12:13:01 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Scottie Pippen vs [Lebron James]: Who ya got?

Fixed

Scottie is way better player than Lebron
-better defense (post and perimeter)
-passing
-moving without the ball
-doesn't need to dominate the ball to score. More efficient offensive player

"-doesn't need to dominate the ball to score" is a fancy way of saying "can't really create his own shot". LeBron was more efficient offensively.

Naw not necessarily. Pippen in '94 (When Jordan played baseball) proved that he can be the go-to guy and have the ball go through him during the season

Its kinda like Earl Monroe. Able to be a ball dominater when he was on the Bullets. Then play within the team offense on the Knicks. Lebron lacks that play within the offense trait lol

The three years before MJ left the Bulls were 1st in offense twice and 2nd once. The first 2 full years MJ was back they finished 1st in offense. In 93-94 they were 14th in offense. It's not like Pippen did a ton of stepping up.

It could also have to do with the fact that Michael Jordan was no longer on the team. I'm just spitballing, but I think losing him would hurt your team's offense.

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 06:52:57 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
D Wade, but some might argue it this way, Lebron or Pippen?  Some may think Wade is the best player on that team.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Scottie - hands down.

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2011, 06:56:29 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
who is a better all around player-wade

Who would I take as 2nd best player on the team? Depends who the #1 guy is.
How about McHale  ;)

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm taking Pippen. As a tie breaker I have less to worry about with the rest of the team mysteriously getting STDs. I'll take Wade as a better GM. Wade had his hands full more in Olympic play and people forget Pippen did a very good job leading the Bulls when Jordan wasn't around. The team was supposed to disintegrate and it didn't at all.  Although he did sulk and pout more and not go into a game for a last shot, which is completely unforgivable. I declare them both Urlachers. Way way way overhyped. Many players can do what they did for less money, although they are both very good usually.

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 10:18:37 AM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
who is a better all around player-wade

Who would I take as 2nd best player on the team? Depends who the #1 guy is.
How about McHale  ;)

I dont know.  I think it would be tough to argue for Wade being a better defender, passer, or outside shooter than Pippen.  I've certainly never heard Wades name in the discussion for defensive player of the year.

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 10:40:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Pippen is much more suited as a #2 so I would take him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
Don’t know how I missed this topic over the last 3-4 months, but here’s my late take:

A bunch of people have said, “depends who your #1 is”?  But that usually seems to go “is your #1 a low post or perimeter player?”  So besides that argument, I think you also have to consider who your #1 personality wise.

Wade, I could see playing second fiddle to just about anybody, regardless of position
Pippen, I could only see playing second fiddle only to a select few, dominant personalities like Jordan, Bird.

Pippen teamed with Barkley and Hakeem in Houston, arguably still in his prime (1st team All-Defensive), yet that didn’t work at all, and I remember Pippen openly complaining about the situation and not being happy with his role (although you could argue he had a problem being the 3rd fiddle).

Pippen was on a very stacked Portland team that choked.  No clear cut leader on that team.

The infamous “Kukoc play” where he refused to re-enter the game because the play wasn’t called for him.

The migraine game.

Forget the position of my #1, I think Pippen also needs a hard-nosed, no-nonsense #1, that is clearly better than him.  A Jordan or Bird type guy.  Could Durant or Amare or Duncan or even Shaq get the most out of Pippen?  I have some doubts if he would be as good/great.  Would Pippen work as well in a Miami or Boston situation where he would be one of 3 “leaders” without a clear cut first and second fiddle situation?  I have my doubts.  But Wade I could see working in just about any situation, even if the #1 plays the same or similar position.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Don’t know how I missed this topic over the last 3-4 months, but here’s my late take:

A bunch of people have said, “depends who your #1 is”?  But that usually seems to go “is your #1 a low post or perimeter player?”  So besides that argument, I think you also have to consider who your #1 personality wise.

Wade, I could see playing second fiddle to just about anybody, regardless of position
Pippen, I could only see playing second fiddle only to a select few, dominant personalities like Jordan, Bird.

Pippen teamed with Barkley and Hakeem in Houston, arguably still in his prime (1st team All-Defensive), yet that didn’t work at all, and I remember Pippen openly complaining about the situation and not being happy with his role (although you could argue he had a problem being the 3rd fiddle).

Pippen was on a very stacked Portland team that choked.  No clear cut leader on that team.

The infamous “Kukoc play” where he refused to re-enter the game because the play wasn’t called for him.

The migraine game.

Forget the position of my #1, I think Pippen also needs a hard-nosed, no-nonsense #1, that is clearly better than him.  A Jordan or Bird type guy.  Could Durant or Amare or Duncan or even Shaq get the most out of Pippen?  I have some doubts if he would be as good/great.  Would Pippen work as well in a Miami or Boston situation where he would be one of 3 “leaders” without a clear cut first and second fiddle situation?  I have my doubts.  But Wade I could see working in just about any situation, even if the #1 plays the same or similar position.

Pippen might complain about being a second fiddle, but complaining doesn't make him capable of more than that.

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2011, 01:45:42 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Pippen more dominant defensively

Wade more dominant offensively

As a 2nd option? I want the guy who can be as dominant on the defensive end as my 1st option is on the offensive.

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Pippen in the regular season.  

Wade in the playoffs (as a go to guy).  

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 02:03:09 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I still hold that DWade has never been the second best player on a team.