Who is better, Westbrook or Irving?

Westbrook
4 (16.7%)
Kyrie
18 (75%)
Neither, Scary Terry is better
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Who is better, Westbrook or Irving?  (Read 2887 times)

Re: Who is better, Westbrook or Irving?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 01:32:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Another way to look at it.

If Westbrook was playing for CLE the last 3 years instead of Irving, does Cleveland win a title in that span? If Irving was playing alongside KD in OKC, would they have won a chip in that span? Would KD stay in OKC if Irving was the PG instead of Westbrook?

Interesting to think about.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

If Westbrook was playing for CLE the last 3 years instead of Irving, does Cleveland win a title in that span? If Irving was playing alongside KD in OKC, would they have won a chip in that span? Would KD stay in OKC if Irving was the PG instead of Westbrook?

Given Westbrook is mostly like healthy for all 3 playoff runs, I'd say that Cleveland wins at least 1 of the first 2 match-ups with Golden State, if not both.  Last year, I think Golden State was just too good, but the Cavs wouldn't have had the same trouble defensively as they did with Irving out on the floor, so who knows. 

Similarly, I think Irving in OKC with Durant, might have actually improved the Thunder during that time as Irving's better outside shooting would have paired better with Durant than Westbrook's driving and dish game would have. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Westbrook seems like a better singular talent. He is probably 2nd to Lebron in his ability to control each game; however, basketball is a team sport and Kyrie seems much better equipped to play on and off the ball. I would also say he is more coachable and [assuming his knees are okay] probably has a better chance to remain elite as he ages.

My initial reaction was Westbrook, but on a contending team, Kyrie makes more sense. I only hope he can continue to learn Stevens' brand of basketball and not get too caught up in iso-ball - even though his ability in isolation is what separates him from other merely 'good' players.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:51:14 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Westbrook and Lebron would be a horrible combination.  Lebron likes shooters to take the shots... imagine a guy who can't shoot like Westbrook taking 19 3's like he did in his last game?  Give me a break.

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
This is a difficult question to answer.

I feel like Westbrook has a greater ability to positively impact the game.  But he also has a greater ability to negatively impact the game. 

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Westbrook and Lebron would be a horrible combination.  Lebron likes shooters to take the shots... imagine a guy who can't shoot like Westbrook taking 19 3's like he did in his last game?  Give me a break.
ah yes because Westbrook did that when he played with Durant.  I mean Durant's last series was the 7 game choke job against the Warriors.  Westbrook shot less 3's and made more 3's than Durant did in that series. 

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 03:02:27 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

ah yes because Westbrook did that when he played with Durant.  I mean Durant's last series was the 7 game choke job against the Warriors.  Westbrook shot less 3's and made more 3's than Durant did in that series.

Moranis, does clutch time production matter much to you? If not, I can see why you would lean Westbrook. However, if it does then how on earth would you select a player that has proven time after time to be really bad during crucial parts of a game with his shot selection, decision making, and turnovers, versus one who has proven to be on the best clutch performers in the game?

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 03:22:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Moranis, does clutch time production matter much to you? If not, I can see why you would lean Westbrook. However, if it does then how on earth would you select a player that has proven time after time to be really bad during crucial parts of a game with his shot selection, decision making, and turnovers, versus one who has proven to be on the best clutch performers in the game?
Sure, but I actually know them.  Do you?

http://www.nbaminer.com/clutch-time-stats/

Irving's shooting percentages in clutch situations during the regular season the last 4 seasons

47.5, 39.8, 36.1, 37.7

Westbrook over the same 4 seasons

39.5, 44.6, 38.9, 35.2

Here are the playoff stats for both of them for the last 3 seasons (this year not included)

Irving - 26.7, 46.7, 0.0 (he was 0-8)
Westbrook - 28.6, 23.5, 30.4 (this was 13/14 season)

In other words, not much different overall, though Irving had that one great playoff post-season run. 

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Irving. I doubt a contender would want Westbrook to start.

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 03:41:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Westbrook would be a terrible fit with LeBron. Westbrook would be out their trying to prove it's his team and taking shots out of LeBron's hands while LeBron would be working behind the scenes to get Westbrook shipped out of town.

There couldn't be a worse match.

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
In my PG rankings, I have:

1. Harden
2. Curry
3. Westbrook
4. Irving

Though yeah, between Irving and Westbrook it's really, really close IMO.

And if you don't consider Harden a PG due to CP3 being on the team, then you can just slide everyone up 1 spot.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 03:48:10 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Westbrook and it's not close. Better defender, rebounder, passer. The notion that Westbrook makes his team worse is absolute bull. Only ignorant fans would say such a thing, you'd never hear that from the players or coaches he plays against. The guy is an absolute warrior.

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Let's be honest. Scary Terry is the best of the 3 ATM since he is the only one playing/producing.

To me, it is not even close and I'll tell why.

RW is selfish, and that's why he will never win the chip. I've said that 6 years ago and I stand by it, as it looks more and more likely with each passing season.

Ask yourselves, what is the use of a great player if you can't win the chip with him and if other great players don't want to play with him after a year or until their next free agency?
I'll tell you what is he good for - filled arena seats, increased media coverage, and attractive plays - highlights.

I personally don't care about anything of those except I like to see a good highlight/move. But its really only about 1-2 plays a game, not 200 possessions that a fast-paced game has nowadays. Its like 1% of all plays.

Great players win and they win big, and then they seek to win some more.

Irving won the chip for himself already, (even if meant more for LBJ and his precious legacy), so let's swiftly remove that is he a winner question. And he will win a 1-5 more if he stays here.
Meanwhile, WB chased away KD, OKC picked a wrong PG in a Harden trade, and in 2 months PG13 will leave as well. Staying true to his February quote:
PG13:"Russ is the reason why this decision is becoming, even more, easier to make..."
I am sure he does Paul.
He is good enough for the 1st round exit. that's top 9-16 teams. A bit above the average. (good)

I consider the champions as the best. (superlative, Kyrie, proven)
The question is made in the comparative adjective "who is better?" 
The answer is easy.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:43:20 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Westbrook and it's not close. Better defender, rebounder, passer. The notion that Westbrook makes his team worse is absolute bull. Only ignorant fans would say such a thing, you'd never hear that from the players or coaches he plays against. The guy is an absolute warrior.

Westbrook makes his team better up to a certain usage point, after which he begins making his team performance worse.  The problem is that Westbrook far exceeds the ideal usage point and so he doesn't make his team nearly as good as he could if he changed his role and some of his habits.

Terry doesn't belong on this poll IMO.  I like him, but he can barely create his own shot (he needs a pick and roll, etc.), doesn't have enough history of success (yet), and is unreliable on the road. 

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Let's be honest. Scary Terry is the best of the 3 ATM since he is the only one playing/producing.

To me, it is not even close and I'll tell why.

RW is selfish, and that's why he will never win the chip. I've said that 6 years ago and I stand by it, as it looks more and more likely with each passing season.

Ask yourselves, what is the use of a great player if you can't win the chip with him and if other great players don't want to play with him after a year or until their next free agency?
I'll tell you what is he good for - filled arena seats, increased media coverage, and attractive plays - highlights.

I personally don't care about anything of those except I like to see a good highlight/move. But its really only about 1-2 plays a game, not 200 possessions that a fast-paced game has nowadays. Its like 1% of all plays.

Great players win and they win big, and then they seek to win some more.

Irving won the chip for himself already, (even if meant more for LBJ and his precious legacy), so let's swiftly remove that is he a winner question. And he will win a 1-5 more if he stays here.
Meanwhile, WB chased away KD, OKC picked a wrong PG in a Harden trade, and in 2 months PG13 will leave as well. Staying true to his February quote:
PG13:"Russ is the reason why this decision is becoming, even more, easier to make..."
I am sure he does Paul.
He is good enough for the 1st round exit. that's top 9-16 teams. A bit above the average. (good)

I consider the champions as the best. (superlative, Kyrie, proven)
The question is made in the comparative adjective "who is better?" 
The answer is easy.

Removing that Irving is currently on the bench recovering, how is Terry better than Irving?  I'm just not seeing it.  Kyrie is a better shooter, much better at creating his own shot, better finisher around the rim, more consistent (home vs road), a better passer (I think), and a more consistent defender.  Terry is currently getting torched 1 on 1 by McConnell.