Author Topic: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(TIME TO REVEAL THE WINNER!!!)  (Read 191533 times)

Re: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(Round 2 over. Have a great weekend!!!)
« Reply #570 on: August 25, 2019, 01:16:33 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Young Hakeem would be a better fit then, iirc Hakeem maxed out on defense in the late 80s.
He won back to back DPOYs in the mid 90s, which was an era of several all-time great NBA defenders. 

I didn't get to watch much Hakeem in the late 80s, so I can't say for certain, but I did watch a lot of him in the mid 90s and I can't fathom much better defense than his in the 90s.
Young Hakeem was a monster defensively. He was more mobile and active, which would be ideal for the modern NBA. He did make more defensive errors, but his amazing athleticism allowed him to "Russell" back into position to cover for his mistakes. I think 89-90 Hakeem was his peak defensively, by 93-95 (his offensive prime) he slowed down a step or two, ntm his defensive motor slowed down a bit due to his huge role offensively.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #571 on: August 25, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Will add one more part to the floor raising and ceiling raising part: defense (especially for big men) help in both categories (more so ceiling raising though). Take our very own Bill Russell for example: he stabilised his team (elevated them from mediocrity to relevancy) and simultaneously raised its ceiling (boosted them to title contention) with his defense and passing. For anyone who doesn't believe me, check how his teams maintained their elite status even with Red Auerbach shuffling a bunch of different players around him. He also deserves the lion's share of credit for elevating his teams: although his teammates were known as offensive stars, they were only medium impact raw scorers at best, as the Celtics dynasty posted average offensive ratings throughout their title runs, but posted some of the best relative defensive ratings of all time, including a 64 defense that's still the best in relative defensive rating today by a large margin!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #572 on: August 25, 2019, 01:48:41 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
This anticipation is killing me lol. I can't wait for the next round tomorrow. I feel that these next coming rounds will be far less predictable, and we'll start seeing more out-of-the-box thinking.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #573 on: August 25, 2019, 01:50:03 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think everyone drafted so far is a pretty fantastic floor raiser.

As for your graphic... yeah that's pretty much what I think about through my planning.  Coming into this game, I thought my ideal team will have a starting 5 that includes 2-3 creators (any more than 3 and they all suffer from less usage to create with), 3-5 floor spacers (the more the better), 4-5 passers, and 4-5 finishers.  Then off the bench you need 1-2 more creators.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #574 on: August 25, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
This anticipation is killing me lol. I can't wait for the next round tomorrow. I feel that these next coming rounds will be far less predictable, and we'll start seeing more out-of-the-box thinking.
I might do some of that myself in the third and fourth rounds if my ideas so far aren't out of the celticsstrong universe already :laugh:. The big man position really thins out after the big 6 in Shaq/DRob/Hakeem/Kareem/Wilt/Russell.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #575 on: August 25, 2019, 01:51:53 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Absolutely, I’d say the next 6 rounds are more important than the first two.  Every team has two solid players now but they go they surround those studs with matter more.  The top 8 rotation is critical!!
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #576 on: August 25, 2019, 01:52:29 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think everyone drafted so far is a pretty fantastic floor raiser.

As for your graphic... yeah that's pretty much what I think about through my planning.  Coming into this game, I thought my ideal team will have a starting 5 that includes 2-3 creators (any more than 3 and they all suffer from less usage to create with), 3-5 floor spacers (the more the better), 4-5 passers, and 4-5 finishers.  Then off the bench you need 1-2 more creators.
Yeah that's a good idea. And yeah lol, floor raisers are the guys people latch on to with the eye test, they're usually the gaudiest players on the court. It's the ceiling raisers that raise the eyebrows of the average fan.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #577 on: August 25, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Yep for sure.

11 of my top 12 guys went in round 1.  My #12 ranked guy went at pick #13.  Pretty standard.

21 of my top 24 guys were gone by round 2.  Dirk, Robinson, and Malone were the 3 guys taken who I had as third rounders instead of second rounders by just barely.  So still very standard, just a little more off than round 1.  One of my "second rounders" was probably a reach to put him there in a vacuum, but he's a great complement for this game alongside other stars.

Now we're at the point of the draft where there are 21 players I could easily taken as the very next pick at any time.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #578 on: August 25, 2019, 02:34:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
TRADE

Dallas sends 3(3), 8(10)
Detroit sends 3(8 ), 6(5)

« Reply #579 on: August 25, 2019, 03:10:05 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
TRADE

Dallas sends 3(3), 8(10)

Detroit definitely has someone in mind to move up for, this is going to be interesting. 

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #580 on: August 25, 2019, 03:12:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
TRADE

Dallas sends 3(3), 8(10)

Detroit definitely has someone in mind to move up for, this is going to be interesting.
But will that player still be there at #3?

The tension builds.....

« Reply #581 on: August 25, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
TRADE

Dallas sends 3(3), 8(10)

The tension builds.....

I mean this with all seriousness, I moved up because I DO have one guy in mind.

And if he gets taken before I get to pick, I really have NO IDEA where I would go. So this is literally goin all in with my chips.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #582 on: August 25, 2019, 04:33:38 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
TRADE

Dallas sends 3(3), 8(10)

The tension builds.....

And if he gets taken before I get to pick, I really have NO IDEA where I would go. So this is literally goin all in with my chips.

Bold move, I love it!!

I have one player in mind that would be perfect for your team. 

« Reply #583 on: August 25, 2019, 04:37:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
TRADE

Dallas sends 3(3), 8(10)

The tension builds.....

Bold move, I love it!!

I have one player in mind that would be perfect for your team.

Might as well, right?

I would be so happy if I landed this guy, but if not, while I'm going to be lost, it's going to be fun, because I could probably go on an even crazier direction now.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #584 on: August 25, 2019, 05:25:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
ANNOUNCEMENT: Somehow or another, I just discovered, a Shaq vs. Hakeem debate that belongs in this thread, spilled over into an old Shaq thread. THIS GAME IS MEANT TO STAY RIGHT HERE, IN THIS THREAD!!! I will not tolerate discussions, or worse, full out arguments over players on your teams making their way out of this thread.