Author Topic: EPL Season  (Read 28817 times)

EPL Season
« on: August 17, 2008, 07:34:14 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
The Premiere Season kicked off this weekend with some interesting results:

Fulham loses to Championship Promoted Hull City, Man-U (at home) draws against Newcastle, my team, Chelsea, puts up four against Portsmouth, who just last week went to penalty kicks against Man-U.

Looks like it's going to be a good season.  Chelsea will take the crown from Man-U with Liverpool in second.

Go Chelsea....... 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: EPL Season
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Chelsea will take the crown from Man-U with Liverpool in second.

Man Utd in third (or worse)?  Doubtful.  Don't get used to Chelsea being at the top of the table these first few weeks, because it's not going to last. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I love Manchester...City!!!

Sorry Roy I can't root for MU...too much like NY Yankees.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 08:03:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Exciting first game for Chelsea. They played some lovely stuff especially in the first half before Ballack went off. Their passing was beautiful, especially the speed of it, very quick. Bosingwa is an excellent signing and looked fantastic, he fills a huge need for the club both defensively and offensively. That extra dimension he provides to the team makes Chelsea a different proposal ... much like Evra did/does with ManU. The midfield gave me a shock at first - Mikel, Ballack, Lampard, Deco and Joe Cole - lot of central players ... but it worked brilliantly. The wing backs have been released to go forward more often which supplies needed added width. Ashley Cole is great going forward also so two very good full backs running at you.

What will be interesting is to see how well Scolari manages the packed schedule and different playing styles (like Bolton) over his first season. I think he'll do great things at Chelsea but there will likely be some acclimation issues over his first year.

I think it's a two horse race between Chelsea and Man U. Too close to call. New system for Chelsea and a lot of unknowns stem from that. I think Arsenal take third, Liverpool fourth.

Very exciting start for Chelsea, they showed a great deal of promise.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:06:40 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i think if you're going to base the season on the opening weekend's results, you're going to come up short.

united finishing 1-1 was a credible result considering the injuries/suspensions we have. i'm not worried.

as for chelsea, they had a great result and come may it will be a united-chelsea 1-2 again. in what order? who knows? arsenal need to concentrate on 4th place imo, and liverpool will come up short yet again.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think the Premiership Title has been decided over the past 24 hours.

The signing of Berbatov is huge a coup for Manchester United and it will spur them onto the title. United are a team with very few weaknesses and this acquisition makes them near-invincible. It would take a sensational season for someone to knock United off. Hands down the best team in Europe.

Chelsea lacked width last season, lacked penetration and pace in the final third ... some type of attacking midfielder, winger or #10 type striker. Someone who could spark the side with guile and creativity around the box and create some magic. It's made the team too predictable and one-dimensional, leaving them without alternative strategies to win when opposing teams honed in on them. Unfortunately this massive hole in the team hasn't been filled. The team's play/attack is far too central and too easy to disrupt. Top sides and disciplined defensive teams (like Wigan were) can limit Chelsea's attack ... and on those days when this happens, they'll be the days that cost Chelsea the title.

Robinho could have helped Chelsea here and provided them with enough quality to make a serious challenge to United, even with the Berbatov acquisition, alas, he joined Man City. I'm not his biggest admirer (think he's grossly overrated) but he would have offered enough to give Chelsea the diversity they needed.

Disappointing day. The title was decided on the 1st of September.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
There is still much that can happen this season. With injuries (Rooney has proven to be injury-prone) and the emergence of any young players I think that the Premiership is up for grabs between the top three or four teams (Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal).

I think Chelsea is going to take it this year.

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:41:27 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15
I agree with you Who.  Signing Berbatov, while way over priced at 30 million pounds, shores up Man Utd. only real possible weakness.   Chelsea didn't have enough last year, and while Deco looks to be an improvement, they really don't have anyone that can provide width.  They have 5 great central players and really only 1 solid wide player, in Cole, who likes to cut inside anyways.

Arsenal did not do enough to improve themselves and look like coming in 4th might be a challenge.  Liverpool are constant under achievers in the EPL, but they do have a talented squad.  They will definitely be right there.  But the title is definitely Man U's for the taking.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 06:25:42 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I look at it this way, Ronaldo is out of both the trip to Anfield to face Liverpool and the trip to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea. I think you're forgetting about the impact he has and the fact that it's very possible United will drop 6 points here.

I think that the top four last year will not be the top four this year, with Arsenal most likely to drop out.

I also think Robinho is extremely overrated, for what it's worth I think that he would have made Chelsea stronger, obviously, but I think that this is the year they take the European crown. A lot of that depends on the hunger of Ballack, Drogba and Terry, who are Chelsea's best and most important players.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 06:04:20 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
I look at it this way, Ronaldo is out of both the trip to Anfield to face Liverpool and the trip to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea. I think you're forgetting about the impact he has and the fact that it's very possible United will drop 6 points here.

I think that the top four last year will not be the top four this year, with Arsenal most likely to drop out.

I also think Robinho is extremely overrated, for what it's worth I think that he would have made Chelsea stronger, obviously, but I think that this is the year they take the European crown. A lot of that depends on the hunger of Ballack, Drogba and Terry, who are Chelsea's best and most important players.

I know United misses a lot when Ronny is out, but drop six points?  No way.  At worst 4.  But Chelsea and Liverpool have not looked like world beaters, and I expect United to rebound nicely from that Zenit loss, especially with the debut of Berbatov.

I do agree that Robinho is overrated, especially for 30 plus million pounds (although that was how much Man City was going to have to spend to pick up a player of his caliber), he only has 20 goals in 100 or so games at Madrid, not exactly spectacular numbers for a 30 mil pound player.  Whatever happens, it will be interesting to see how these moves from the weekend shape out.

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
I think the Premiership Title has been decided over the past 24 hours.

The signing of Berbatov is huge a coup for Manchester United and it will spur them onto the title. United are a team with very few weaknesses and this acquisition makes them near-invincible. It would take a sensational season for someone to knock United off. Hands down the best team in Europe.

Chelsea lacked width last season, lacked penetration and pace in the final third ... some type of attacking midfielder, winger or #10 type striker. Someone who could spark the side with guile and creativity around the box and create some magic. It's made the team too predictable and one-dimensional, leaving them without alternative strategies to win when opposing teams honed in on them. Unfortunately this massive hole in the team hasn't been filled. The team's play/attack is far too central and too easy to disrupt. Top sides and disciplined defensive teams (like Wigan were) can limit Chelsea's attack ... and on those days when this happens, they'll be the days that cost Chelsea the title.

Robinho could have helped Chelsea here and provided them with enough quality to make a serious challenge to United, even with the Berbatov acquisition, alas, he joined Man City. I'm not his biggest admirer (think he's grossly overrated) but he would have offered enough to give Chelsea the diversity they needed.

Disappointing day. The title was decided on the 1st of September.

I agree, except on two points:

1:  I don't believe last years problem was penetration and pace in the final third.  I believe this all related back to the style off football the coach wanted to play and the prior coach.  They have plenty of depth in the attacking midfield positions and if they played Anelka and Drogba, they would be a force.

2:  While I hoped for Robinho, I'm not crushed by the loss.  I think it more shows what type of person he is.  If he really wanted to play for Chelsea and Big Phil, he could have refused, played until January, then tried again.  Look for Roanldo to move in that window now that Utd has Berbatov.

Also, what Utd did to get Berbatov should be investigated even though the Spurs have agreed not to pursue it.  They tampered and there was no doubt about it.

I look forward to the season and hope that Chelsea can get healthy.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 07:30:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I agree with Galen's take on Ronaldo for several reasons:

(1) United have the best trio of strikers in the league and they're all incredibly creative players. United also have four very good attacking midfielders healthy in Giggs, Scholes, Anderson and Nani. They're fine.

(2) Recent reports have Ronaldo coming back at the end of this month, with the Aalborg game on Sept 30th being targeted. Appearently, he's making great progress.

(3) United have only 3 games between then and now. Taking them only 5 games into the season. They'll have barely started. They're also 2/5ths of the way through that and are on pace with the league leaders, no deficit.

(4) Titles aren't won against top sides, they're won against the rest of the league. Whoever takes care of business against the lower levels and mid levels. Beating Liverpool or a Chelsea is nice but it's not necessary. There simply are not enough games for it to be so, and teams do not get enough points out of those few games to have huge meaning.

(5) Even without Ronaldo United are still a slight favourite in my eyes at winning those games against Pool and Chelsea. Although stalemates are the outcome I expect to be to occur.

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 08:11:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Any estimations/guesses on how Robinho's arrival effects City's hopes this season?

When I heard they were in for Berbatov I thought they'd have a legit shot at knocking off Pool or Arsenal for fourth place .... but with Robinho? Not so much no. I don't think it's that large of an addition for the club, especially considering the money they spent to bring him over.

I liked the SWP pickup though, I think that'll be more important than Robinho. Nice trio of Elano, Petrov, SWP across midfield attacking oppositions defenses.

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
i would not be surpirsed to see West ham headed for the relegation line with Curbishley quitting.  Talking about a team in turmoil, and lets not forget that two years ago they were close but Tevez and Mascherano saved them in what was a very interesting deal.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
Any estimations/guesses on how Robinho's arrival effects City's hopes this season?

When I heard they were in for Berbatov I thought they'd have a legit shot at knocking off Pool or Arsenal for fourth place .... but with Robinho? Not so much no. I don't think it's that large of an addition for the club, especially considering the money they spent to bring him over.

I liked the SWP pickup though, I think that'll be more important than Robinho. Nice trio of Elano, Petrov, SWP across midfield attacking oppositions defenses.

I've already stated I think Robinho is overrated, however, that doesn't mean he isn't a great player.  I'm very interested to see if he can adapt to English football, as it just doesn't seem to suit his style.  The major coup for City is the new owner.  Some Dubai group with assets in the range of half a trillion Euros.  He has already come out to say that he would be willing to pay 135 million euros for Ronaldo.  I don't think United would sell him to City for any amount, but it does show he means business.  If City can stay near the top 6 till the January window, they will have a great opportunity to one or two of the Big 4 out of Europe.  They will likely be spending close to 100 million pounds in the January window and should be able to really improve their squad with that amount of transfer funds.