Author Topic: Xbox360 and Netflix  (Read 14172 times)

Re: Xbox360 and Netflix
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 12:07:37 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
As a side note, on the matter of price:  yes, PS3 is more expensive.  However, to make your 360 wireless, you have to buy an $80 adapter (it's built in with PS3), and you need to buy some sort of rechargeable battery kick for the controller (built in with the PS3). 

An 80 GB PS3 is $400; a 60 GB Xbox 360 is $300. 

Is wireless + rechargeable controller + blu ray player + 20 extra GB worth $100?  I think that clearly, it is.  The PS3 is, in my opinion, a much more cost effective product at the moment.

I have both systems; they're basically identical right now (with promises that PS3's graphics will be better in the future; I'll believe it when I see it).  The Xbox has slightly better exclusive games, although the PS3 has its share, as well.  I think they're both worth owning, but if price was my only factor, I think you have to go with the PS3.  It's just a much better deal.

does the ps3 now include the HDV cables out of the box? when they first launched they didn't, theres another 60$ for good ones.

The 360 comes with them.

and ya, as i said, if they had launched at the same time, or i was buying a system now, i would probley go with PS3.

sicne ive had my 36o since launch though, sony offers me little in incentive to ever consider a ps3.

Thats the situation alot of people find themselves in i think. 500$ is alot to ask for built in wireless when i already have a system that does the exact same thing games wise.

PS3 needs something ground breaking (like solving blu-ray programming in games) or they will always be the second bannana outside japan this cycle.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 12:08:17 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Wow a lot of techie "newbs" here I guess.

First off the netflix that will be available though xbox live (which you need an active recurring netflix account to access BTW + an xbox live gold account) will not be in High Def as is the web site streaming content in standard definition.  This is not permanent and Netflix claims they will be streaming high def in the future, but don't try to say that "netflix downloads" will destroy blu ray because they would have already if that was the case.  Or any other cheesy streaming content site that's out there for that matter.  

Secondly the content of netflixs' streaming content is not much to be desired.  Most of these films are older and surely not in high def.

One cool thing you can do however is stream a movie and then invite your xbox live friends to watch it with you and chat from anywhere around the world.

On to the PS3-

The PS3 has recently added download able movie content to their web service and though I can't remember bc I don't use it, they will have content in full 1080p with actual new movies that you might actually want to purchase or download.  Now Xbox already has offered this for quite some time now and the content is in HD (optional).  So while the netlix action certainly adds more content it does nothing to improve the quality.

PS3 has also started a TV/on demand/DVR function to it's euro PS3 service that allows you to use your PS3 as a DVR box to store content.  Hopefully we will see this in the states sometime soon.

For the games-

Yes xbox is WAY ahead of the pact in this department.  Even with PS3 coming out with MGS4, Resistance 2 and whatever other crap they offer xbox has a far superior line up not only with exclusive titles, but excellent download able arcade games.

However as far as writing the games Blu ray will take over.  The xbox discs are basically DVD's and can only hold about 6-7 gigs.  Blu ray discs are up to 50 gigs per disc so don't tell me that developers can't write for it.  Actually I just read an article on ign saying that the developers of Gears of War are saying that they have pretty much reached the max graphically writing on xbox discs and while developers originally did have some issues writing for the PS3 with 50 gigs to work with they certainly have room to improve.

As for "Blu Ray being out of business" in five years I totally agree.  

Bill gates actually said this in so many words long before the Korean dude and I can see it.

While people love their vintage record collections and dvd collections for that matter you have to admit it's kind of a waste of space.  I mean my one friend has three out of four walls in his entertainment room covered with dvd's and it's just clutter to me.

The future of your media library will be much like itunes "cover flow" technology.  And if storage is an issue they will just make it cheaper and offer it through their servers.  

Sorry if I had too much to say on the whole techy front, but there were some things that needed to be clarified.  ;D

Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 12:15:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

First off the netflix that will be available though xbox live (which you need an active recurring netflix account to access BTW + an xbox live gold account) will not be in High Def as is the web site streaming content in standard definition.  This is not permanent and Netflix claims they will be streaming high def in the future, but don't try to say that "netflix downloads" will destroy blu ray because they would have already if that was the case.  Or any other cheesy streaming content site that's out there for that matter.  

Secondly the content of netflixs' streaming content is not much to be desired.  Most of these films are older and surely not in high def.

One cool thing you can do however is stream a movie and then invite your xbox live friends to watch it with you and chat from anywhere around the world.

On to the PS3-

The PS3 has recently added download able movie content to their web service and though I can't remember bc I don't use it, they will have content in full 1080p with actual new movies that you might actually want to purchase or download.  Now Xbox already has offered this for quite some time now and the content is in HD (optional).  So while the netlix action certainly adds more content it does nothing to improve the quality.

PS3 has also started a TV/on demand/DVR function to it's euro PS3 service that allows you to use your PS3 as a DVR box to store content.  Hopefully we will see this in the states sometime soon.

For the games-

Yes xbox is WAY ahead of the pact in this department.  Even with PS3 coming out with MGS4, Resistance 2 and whatever other crap they offer xbox has a far superior line up not only with exclusive titles, but excellent download able arcade games.

However as far as writing the games Blu ray will take over.  The xbox discs are basically DVD's and can only hold about 6-7 gigs.  Blu ray discs are up to 50 gigs per disc so don't tell me that developers can't write for it.  Actually I just read an article on ign saying that the developers of Gears of War are saying that they have pretty much reached the max graphically writing on xbox discs and while developers originally did have some issues writing for the PS3 with 50 gigs to work with they certainly have room to improve.

Bill gates actually said this in so many words long before the Korean dude and I can see it.

While people love their vintage record collections and dvd collections for that matter you have to admit it's kind of a waste of space.  I mean my one friend has three out of four walls in his entertainment room covered with dvd's and it's just clutter to me.

The future of your media library will be much like itunes "cover flow" technology.  And if storage is an issue they will just make it cheaper and offer it through their servers.  

Sorry if I had too much to say on the whole techy front, but there were some things that needed to be clarified.  ;D

biggs, i could give a care less if i have to get 6 DVD's in a game compared to one blu ray DVD storage space wise, its a non-issue to me and appaerntly alot of other gamers.

They can't program in blu ray right now, and thats the only use the format has froma gaming standpoint. and since they've been trying to solve the problem for 5 years, i don't really think thats going to change anytime soon.

yes, they can store a ton more per disc, but who cares? i didn't hate final fantasy 7 for the ps2 because it had to be put on 4 discs due to storage issues, i wont give a darn if final fantasy 13 comes to me on 5 seprate dvd's for the xbox and 1 for the ps3 like they say it will now. who cares? changing a dvd isn't taxing.

on to the DVR thing, thats awesome. I have a DVR, so i could care less.

this was sony's problem this cycle, assuming i would re-buy a games console a year later because i want there extra services. it won't happen. i'll buy the specfic things (blu ray player, DVR,, ect.) that the system replicates, why would i overpay so that i now have the honor of having two systems that play the same games?

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 12:21:37 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum

On to the PS3-

For the games-

biggs, i could give a care less if i have to get 6 DVD's in a game compared to one blu ray DVD storage space wise, its a non-issue to me and appaerntly alot of other gamers.

They can't program in blu ray right now, and thats the only use the format has froma gaming standpoint. and since they've been trying to solve the problem for 5 years, i don't really think thats going to change anytime soon.

yes, they can store a ton more per disc, but who cares? i didn't hate final fantasy 7 for the ps2 because it had to be put on 4 discs due to storage issues, i wont give a darn if final fantasy 13 comes to me on 5 seprate dvd's for the xbox and 1 for the ps3 like they say it will now. who cares? changing a dvd isn't taxing.

on to the DVR thing, thats awesome. I have a DVR, so i could care less.

this was sony's problem this cycle, assuming i would re-buy a games console a year later because i want there extra services. it won't happen. i'll buy the specfic things (blu ray player, DVR,, ect.) that the system replicates, why would i overpay so that i now have the honor of having two systems that play the same games?

I don't know what your saying about the whole "6 dvd's in one" or whatever that means.  The point of the extra storage for games is limitless.  You can write bigger maps, include more content etc.  It is true that people had issues writing for the PS3 originally, but that is just because it is more complex.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
because 6 DVDs= 1 Blu ray disc.

Companies are not going to not write a game for xbox because they'll ahve to break it up for stroage purposes do to writign it with blu ray's storage in mind. if they were, then Final fantasy 13 wouldn't have gone multiplatform, as it will require, by early estimates on square's part, 5 DVD's on 360, since they followed the scenario you discreibed and wrote it for blu-ray storage intialy. it doesn't bar them form breakign the data up and releasing it on DVD.

The point i was making is no one, at all, has figured out how to write a game with graphics in the blu ray format, and thats the only gaming diffreance between the consoles. It hasen't happened at above 15 FPS yet, and it probley won't. Blu ray is not a good format for random draw, and thats what games are all about.

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 03:08:06 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum

Companies are not going to not write a game for xbox because they'll ahve to break it up for stroage purposes do to writign it with blu ray's storage in mind. if they were, then Final fantasy 13 wouldn't have gone multiplatform, as it will require, by early estimates on square's part, 5 DVD's on 360, since they followed the scenario you discreibed and wrote it for blu-ray storage intialy. it doesn't bar them form breakign the data up and releasing it on DVD.

The point i was making is no one, at all, has figured out how to write a game with graphics in the blu ray format, and thats the only gaming diffreance between the consoles. It hasen't happened at above 15 FPS yet, and it probley won't. Blu ray is not a good format for random draw, and thats what games are all about.

gotcha ;)

Man that would suck.  A six disc edition xbox game that could be out on only one disc?  Ouch.  Maybe Gates should just eat his words and release a blu ray drive for his next system. 

Anyway I hear what your saying about people not getting the hang of writing for blu ray yet, but the fact that there's room for improvement only helps them.  As the xbox is starting to reach it's limits graphically the developers will get the hang of blu ray.  Just my opinion.  I'm not a PS3 fanboy in anyway, I like all 3 systems.  Go celts :)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 03:17:52 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

gotcha ;)

Man that would suck.  A six disc edition xbox game that could be out on only one disc?  Ouch.  Maybe Gates should just eat his words and release a blu ray drive for his next system. 

Anyway I hear what your saying about people not getting the hang of writing for blu ray yet, but the fact that there's room for improvement only helps them.  As the xbox is starting to reach it's limits graphically the developers will get the hang of blu ray.  Just my opinion.  I'm not a PS3 fanboy in anyway, I like all 3 systems.  Go celts :)

but see, i don't care if the game comes on multiple DVD's. i certainly don't care enough to go out and drop 600 bucks on a ps3.

as to "figuring out" programing in blu ray as a resolution, heard that for the two years leading up to the PS3's release, and hear it every day since. yet even if they solved the riddle tommrow, you wouldn't see a game with blu-ray graphics until 2010 at the earliest since it would have to start from scratch developmental wise.

It's not going to happen, sony has dedicated 5 years to trying to turn blu ray into a graphic system you can rpogram in, and there still stuck at 15 FPS for random draw. yyou really think there going to have an epiphony tommrow and figure out how to speed it up 45 FPS? they might get there, but no time soon.

and again, im not anti sony. as i said, if i was just into the market today, with a blank check, i would probley go with a PS3.

but thats the catch isn't it? with xbox playing the EXACT same games for less money, what motivation do I, as someoen who already has a game system (360)from launch have to drop a new 600 dollar investment in a ps3?

blu ray? why? i can just buy a blu ray player for half the price. the only thing that will catch them up now are exclusives, and they just lost the last huge one they have until GOW3 in 2010-11ish.

Son'y one and only hope is to figure out a way to program in blu ray, and release stunning exclusives. otherwise they will never make up the huge gap in install base that exists right now.

also, there are rumors theres already a blu ray drive for 360, due to hit next spring/summer. rumors only at thsi point though.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 03:50:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

gotcha ;)

but see, i don't care if the game comes on multiple DVD's. i certainly don't care enough to go out and drop 600 bucks on a ps3.

Word...I've had this idea for a long time about a massive game, an rpg where it would start small but be backwards compatible where you'd start in one place (like NYC) and move forward by buying new locations on other discs....so next up you'd buy Whiteplains or Bismark ND...

Wait...wait...thats not what this topic is about...

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Personally, I want the 360.  Didn't care about the HD movies. 

Now, if PS2 or Wii get the exclusive rights the "CelticsBlog: the Video Game!", that changes everything. 

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 05:16:12 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
does the ps3 now include the HDV cables out of the box? when they first launched they didn't, theres another 60$ for good ones.

The 360 comes with them.

Wrong. You can spend $100,000.00 on HDMI cables, or $6.00 off a website (monoprice), and get the same quality. It's digital, all 1 and 0, it either works or it doesn't. There's not distortion as if it was a component cable or coax cable, as it's digital.

Anyways, 360 for the win.

EDIT: Quoted wrong..lazy to fix.