Author Topic: Big Miss on Blatche  (Read 10315 times)

Re: Big Miss on Blatche
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 11:53:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
An utter and total miss by the C's to not pick him up. We're holding some bonehead comments against him? Who cares? Delonte did that kind of stuff all the time and we never minded him being on the floor.
The key is Delonte generally brought it while he was on the floor. You'll also notice after that season he was not brought back even when we needed a backup guard of his caliber.

Blatche has a history of playing at this level for a month or so and then being terrible to the point he's benched.

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 11:55:15 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
The reason I feel so strongly about this guy is that he brings a lot of what KG can bring. Same height, long, athletic.

Perhaps he's a much worse defender than KG (even 36 year old KG), but I'd argue he's at least as good on offense.

It's our paint presence, or total lack thereof, outside of KG that has me completely worried about this roster. With KG resting, we roll out a totally undersized group that gets wrecked on the glass and relies on perimeter scoring.

We get no paint points. Teams like Brooklyn are able to rest bigs like Lopez and Hump and still have Evans / Blatche to give the Celts a real challenge in the paint.

Raw skills, youth, height, athleticism and vet min status vastly outweigh knucklehead status. Wasn't Randy Moss a knucklehead?

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 12:27:13 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Nope.

He is still the same knucklehead. He just hasn't done anything yet this season.

I think you are in denial. Surely he would be better than an empty roster spot...

No.  I had to watch him living in the DC area.  Guys like this tease their fans by playing well and behaving well for stints, but eventually, they knucklehead up.
maybe he was a knucklehead because he was on the Wizards and they are all knuckleheads without veteran leadership and a coaching staff that lets them do it.  Javelle McGee seems to be a vastly different player away from Washington.  Maybe all Blatche needed was to get away.

I agree with this. It's not as if he was part of a championship-caliber team and ruined all the things by himself. That locker room even went through that infamous gun incident, so, they were really out of their minds altogether.

I'm not going to say Blatche himself is a very mature basketball player.
I'm not even going to suggest he's anywhere near being consistent.

All I'm saying is he's incomparably better even if he plays two games in a month like this, if you compare him to whom Celtics picked up; Darko and Collins.
And he has averaged 9 and 5 in 17 mpg so far. Even if he doesn't score another point this season or even if he doesn't grab another rebound, his win share will still be light years ahead the Celtics big men burned in bench.

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Nope.

He is still the same knucklehead. He just hasn't done anything yet this season.

I think you are in denial. Surely he would be better than an empty roster spot...

No.  I had to watch him living in the DC area.  Guys like this tease their fans by playing well and behaving well for stints, but eventually, they knucklehead up.
maybe he was a knucklehead because he was on the Wizards and they are all knuckleheads without veteran leadership and a coaching staff that lets them do it.  Javelle McGee seems to be a vastly different player away from Washington.  Maybe all Blatche needed was to get away.

McGee was immature.  Maybe the right coach can fix that.  He can be basketball dumb on the court.

Blatche is full blown knucklehead.  He is the one coaches bench for the lack of defense.  He is the one that heads to AC when the coach suspends him, and proudly tweets about it.

Commish, Avery Johnson seems to not have a problem with him. He WAS all you said. And he can still be, he was amnestied, he gets paid by Wahington, playing or not. he could have Lap Dance Tuesdays and Donut Shop galore all day, and yet there he is playing good, in shape, giving effort. He's trying to fix his NBA image. I believe this realize his mistake.

Yet.

He did this in DC.  Runs of good play followed by the coach/team asking him to stay away.

Commish, with all due respect to Flip Saunders but that's on him. He couldn't discipline that team.

That and the fact that there are no veterans and/or leaders to keep him in check probably got his antics worse. And then to top it off, they named him team captain.

I really understand where you're coming from Commish. His history is pretty bad. But, 15 games in to this season he looks focused and willing to come back better than ever.

Like I said, he could've not played in the NBA at all and STILL get 7-8 million dollars from the Wiz because of the Amnesty. And yet there he is, on a non guaranteed contract, trying as best has he can to be at least a respected basketball player. That to me shows better focus and maturity. And yes he'll make some @DrayBaltche mistakes here and there by running his mouth, but I'm definitely sure we will not see the selfish, lazy, Lap Dance Tuesday hosting, no effort blob of a player ever again.

And that's why it's a Big Miss. We could've had him for the minimum.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The reason I feel so strongly about this guy is that he brings a lot of what KG can bring. Same height, long, athletic.

Perhaps he's a much worse defender than KG (even 36 year old KG), but I'd argue he's at least as good on offense.

It's our paint presence, or total lack thereof, outside of KG that has me completely worried about this roster. With KG resting, we roll out a totally undersized group that gets wrecked on the glass and relies on perimeter scoring.

We get no paint points. Teams like Brooklyn are able to rest bigs like Lopez and Hump and still have Evans / Blatche to give the Celts a real challenge in the paint.

Raw skills, youth, height, athleticism and vet min status vastly outweigh knucklehead status. Wasn't Randy Moss a knucklehead?

It was Flip Saunders who coached both that said Blatche is nothing like KG.

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Did andray blatche kill a lot of puppies or something?

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Did andray blatche kill a lot of puppies or something?

He certainly could have.  Who knows what he learned from Gilbert. 

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I'd rather pick up a naturally talented knucklehead rather than Jason Collins the nice guy.

Me too.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I'd rather pick up a naturally talented knucklehead rather than Jason Collins the nice guy.

Me too.

I am torn on this, because I tend to think the biggest issue the C's have right now, is with their chemistry and cohesion, rather than their talent.  At least that is what is preventing them from being the second tier team that they should be.  But, they also need more talent, if they want to be a really strong contender against the truly elite teams.

I just am not sure if a guy like Blatche would help enough to get them over the top...or enough to make the risk of him imploding things worth it.  They gave Darko a try, and it didn't work out with him. 

At this point, I would be much happier if they focussed on getting everyone on the same page, and playing together, and then tried to find a way to trade for a more reliable impact player to put them over the top, rather than taking a swing with a guy like Blatche.

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
@DrayBaltch: U still think them fake tweets R funny my dudez? Next tyme I C U at Lap Dance Tuesday, U better kiss the ring!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
For the vet min you had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 03:48:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Well, they didn't have a roster spot.  They gave that spot to Darko. 

And there is something to lose, if you start relying on him, and then he breaks, like he has in the past.  You don't lose money, but that sort of thing can really affect a team.

He is really the riskiest sort of player, because he is the type who can come in, and be great for a stretch, and then totally go off the reservation when you need him most. 

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

And there is something to lose, if you start relying on him, and then he breaks, like he has in the past.  You don't lose money, but that sort of thing can really affect a team.

He is really the riskiest sort of player, because he is the type who can come in, and be great for a stretch, and then totally go off the reservation when you need him most.

Not to mention, every good thing Sully and Melo can learn from KG can be countered by a bad thing they learn from Blatche. 

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 03:50:41 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

You're reaching now.

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

Me too.

I am torn on this, because I tend to think the biggest issue the C's have right now, is with their chemistry and cohesion, rather than their talent.  At least that is what is preventing them from being the second tier team that they should be.  But, they also need more talent, if they want to be a really strong contender against the truly elite teams.

I just am not sure if a guy like Blatche would help enough to get them over the top...or enough to make the risk of him imploding things worth it.  They gave Darko a try, and it didn't work out with him. 

At this point, I would be much happier if they focussed on getting everyone on the same page, and playing together, and then tried to find a way to trade for a more reliable impact player to put them over the top, rather than taking a swing with a guy like Blatche.

I agree that cohesion has been an issue. but as far as I know, it has got nothing to do with off-court issues. It's the definition of roles, I suppose. Green has little idea about what to do. He has been put at SF and PF, but that's just a superficial view of the issue, to be honest. He has no defined roles in taking part in the offense other than the isolations drawn for him. Terry has been up and down, and at times, he didn't get enough looks. Lee has shot the ball fairly poorly for his standards, but played the defense as well as he could.
In other words, although there seems to be a lack of energy on the court, I do believe that they are trying. But it's just not happening and they look puzzled and clueless more than someone lacking effort.
Hands down, Blatche would suffer from this, too, easily.

The thing is here he wouldn't be easily imploding the team by his absurd antics. It isn't easy for even Blatche to get out of control in the locker room with KG's presence around.
I'm not suggesting he would be tutored by KG to mature, but he would, for his own sake, have to shut his mouth up and sit down obediently at the very worst case.

And I don't think he's going to try anything funny with so much expectations looming over the Nets this season.
Because if he does that even on a team that has high ambitions, then he's pretty much done for.
To me, a good team with full of veterans was a last chance for Blatche to prove himself in the league that he can play and so far, he showed that he's a quality pickup.

I myself opt to refrain from taking risks as much as possible in reality, but for the Celtics, who live by and die by jumpshots generally, this could be a fairly plausible risk to take.

Anyway, there is no point in beating a dead horse. If any new chance to upgrade the roster to be better overall comes, I have faith in Danny that he'll pull the trigger.