Author Topic: NFL players vote Tebow most overrated player  (Read 5750 times)

NFL players vote Tebow most overrated player
« on: October 25, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/25/nfl-players-vote-tim-tebow-most-overrated/

Tebow, the Jets’ backup quarterback, was named the most overrated player by 34 percent of the players in a survey conducted by Sports Illustrated.

Re: NFL players vote Tebow most overrated player
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds about right.

Bet if you polled NFL fans you'd probably get the same answer too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

tough to argue with that.

Was Jeremy Lin simultaneously the NBA's most overrated player? When I try to think of the NBA's most overrated players, I think that the first three to come to mind were all playing for the Knicks last year...

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:50:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
And the sky is blue and water is wet. Who knew?

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think Tebow is over-publcized but not necessarily overrated.  I think most people think he is pretty limited as a QB.  For overrated at this point I would probably say Mario Williams
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Tebow is over-publcized but not necessarily overrated.  I think most people think he is pretty limited as a QB.  For overrated at this point I would probably say Mario Williams

Yeah, I think that is a good way to put it.  If anything, he has become underrated as an actual QB.  But he is still way too overpublicized, compared to his impact on the field.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Tebow missed a block on the Miami blocked punt today.  Probably didnt help his cause!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
More overrated than Cam Newton?  Was there a poll done of how many NFL players wish they could lead 1-4 teams to wins in the playoffs?

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
More overrated than Cam Newton?  Was there a poll done of how many NFL players wish they could lead 1-4 teams to wins in the playoffs?
He didn't lead them into the playoffs. Their defense did and it is once again showing that they are a formidable bunch and are now one of the better teams in the league because they have a real quarterback on the offensive side.

Newton has throw for more yards in his worst year than Tebow has in his whole career. Newton's career completion % is almost 15 points higher than Tebow's. By any measure other than wins, Newton is a better QB and the only reason Tebow has more wins is because he quarterbacked a team with a very good defense.

Tebow's current coach can't stand the thought of Tebow playing and thinks his team has a better chance to win when playing the worst starting QB in the league. If Tebow can't start in NY and doesn't get traded to Jacksonville to start, he will be out of the league.

He's incredibly over rated as a QB.

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Whoa whoa, you leave Cam Newton out of this! He's got enough on his plate!

I need a monster night out of him tomorrow, so Im not gonna be very excited with you guys distracting him right now.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 07:52:31 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He didn't lead them into the playoffs. Their defense did and it is once again showing that they are a formidable bunch and are now one of the better teams in the league because they have a real quarterback on the offensive side.

Newton has throw for more yards in his worst year than Tebow has in his whole career. Newton's career completion % is almost 15 points higher than Tebow's. By any measure other than wins, Newton is a better QB and the only reason Tebow has more wins is because he quarterbacked a team with a very good defense.

Tebow's current coach can't stand the thought of Tebow playing and thinks his team has a better chance to win when playing the worst starting QB in the league. If Tebow can't start in NY and doesn't get traded to Jacksonville to start, he will be out of the league.

OK leeeettttt's seeeee.  Defense immediately improves the second Tebow walks onto field.

Peyton takes over a playoff team and leads it to ....the playoffs.   But remember. Peyton had nothing to do with it. It's all the defense. In the mean time RG3 has nothing to do with the Redskins in the playoffs. Defense.

Also the Colts were good with Peyton. Now they're good with Luck. Peyton.  Incredibly over rated QB.  But he has a miracle neck.  If he wins the Super Bowl I'll have to admit he's better than Eli....maybe.

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Well said.  As much as is made of Tebow's "intangibles", people still often neglect to consider them.  Champ Bailey said that tebow inspires him to play harder and that he plays harder when tebow is the quarterback.  People on this blog are quick to praise point guards for making their teammates better, but neglect to consider this with Tebow.  I understand its a very different kind of "making your teammates better", but the end result is the only thing that matters.

I want Tebow to go to Jacksonville this offseason.  The fans will love him down there. They are absolutely terrible anyways, so its not like they are risking a lot.  They have a good RB in jones-drew, they have 2 talented young receivers, but they aren't overpaying players at this position that will be under-utilized.  Run an offense similar to what Fox used in Denver and use this upcoming draft (high picks in every round) and offseason signings to build a great offensive line they can run behind and as strong of a defense as possible.  They have had no playoff appearances over the past 5 season and nothing looks particularly bright in their immediate future, so give their fans a quarterback they've already long adored since his days at UF and just see if he can work his magic.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

OK leeeettttt's seeeee.  Defense immediately improves the second Tebow walks onto field.

Peyton takes over a playoff team and leads it to ....the playoffs.   But remember. Peyton had nothing to do with it. It's all the defense. In the mean time RG3 has nothing to do with the Redskins in the playoffs. Defense.

Also the Colts were good with Peyton. Now they're good with Luck. Peyton.  Incredibly over rated QB.  But he has a miracle neck.  If he wins the Super Bowl I'll have to admit he's better than Eli....maybe.

Peyton took over a team that had basically the worst record of any playoff team in history and shouldn't have been in the playoffs and turned them into a 2 seed.

Redskins have a good defense but RG3 has been phenomenal.

That's the difference that you seem totally incapable of admitting, and it seems borderline willfully ignorant: Tebow was bad on a decent team that scraped out enough victories by virtue of special teams and defense to make the playoffs as the 23rd best offense in the league (you know, the part tebow can actually control, unlike defense and a bizarre stretch of opposing teams completely screwing up) with a record that shouldn't have made the playoffs except that their competition was san diego, KC, Oakland.  RG3 has been incredible on a similar team but with worse defense (and worse receivers...look at decker/thomas with a qb who can actually throw).

I don't understand a lot of your arguments. Are you serious? It just shows complete lack of nuance and depth, and relies on totally undefined buzzwords. "Peyton takes over a playoff team and leads it to ....the playoffs." Huh? again, no looking beneath the surface. there are grades of playoff teams, and that team shouldn't have been in the playoffs by any other season or any other division. Now it's a 2 seed. With basically 1 change.

New York Jets backup quarterback Tim Tebow was so frustrated when the starting job was conferred upon Greg McElroy early last week that he told the coaches he didn't want to be used in any Wildcat packages Sunday against the San Diego Chargers, multiple Jets sources told ESPNNewYork.com./quote]

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8776088/tim-tebow-new-york-jets-asked-left-wildcat-sources-say

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Well said.  As much as is made of Tebow's "intangibles", people still often neglect to consider them.  Champ Bailey said that tebow inspires him to play harder and that he plays harder when tebow is the quarterback.  People on this blog are quick to praise point guards for making their teammates better, but neglect to consider this with Tebow.  I understand its a very different kind of "making your teammates better", but the end result is the only thing that matters.

I want Tebow to go to Jacksonville this offseason.  The fans will love him down there. They are absolutely terrible anyways, so its not like they are risking a lot.  They have a good RB in jones-drew, they have 2 talented young receivers, but they aren't overpaying players at this position that will be under-utilized.  Run an offense similar to what Fox used in Denver and use this upcoming draft (high picks in every round) and offseason signings to build a great offensive line they can run behind and as strong of a defense as possible.  They have had no playoff appearances over the past 5 season and nothing looks particularly bright in their immediate future, so give their fans a quarterback they've already long adored since his days at UF and just see if he can work his magic.

There were also some players who were getting pretty sick of the continued credit Tebow was getting for other peoples' contributions. McGahee comes to mind. Bailey's comment smacks of just trying to do good team building, ride the tide...i'd love to hear how he feels about Manning. Something tells me he's a little happier.

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/25/nfl-players-vote-tim-tebow-most-overrated/

Tebow, the Jets’ backup quarterback, was named the most overrated player by 34 percent of the players in a survey conducted by Sports Illustrated.
I'd be surprised if football fans didn't also rate him as the most overrated player