Author Topic: Salary cap for next year above expectations?  (Read 1846 times)

Salary cap for next year above expectations?
« on: April 16, 2010, 03:28:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/66010/20100416/stern_expects_10_11_cap_to_be_at_$561m/

While nothing official has been announced, it seems as though the gloom-and-doom projections from early this year may be a little off.

If true, this will be a real boon to teams like the Knicks and Clippers, who are hoping to land max-level free agents with their cap space.

[EDIT: apologies, just saw that RealGM's source on this is Ken Berger's Twitter page. I'll curb my optimism appropriately.]
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Salary cap for next year above expectations?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 03:39:52 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I think this is huge for OKC, Mia, and NYK. Miami and the Knicks definitely have room for 2 max guys.

The Thunder have 40 mil in guaranteed money for next year and this allows them to pursue someone that is very, very good. Huge for them.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:12:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I really don't care what the cap is. 

I will only get excited if they change how the whole system works.

Great for teams like Miami and NY.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 12:38:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Good news for teams, like Boston, who have luxury tax concerns. The tax threshold has been raised from an expected $65 million to $68 million.

It will allow more teams to spend their MLE this summer.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think this is huge for OKC, Mia, and NYK. Miami and the Knicks definitely have room for 2 max guys.

The Thunder have 40 mil in guaranteed money for next year and this allows them to pursue someone that is very, very good. Huge for them.

I really hope they go after a good center.  Marcus Camby could make an intriguing one year rental, or Brendan Haywood.  I still think David Lee could be very good for that team (even if he is more of a PF).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 01:01:27 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

I really hope they go after a good center.  Marcus Camby could make an intriguing one year rental, or Brendan Haywood.  I still think David Lee could be very good for that team (even if he is more of a PF).

Yea, they definitely have to look to the bigs of the free agent crop. Maybe target Bosh and Amare. And if they fall through, they can probably split their 16 mil in cap space between David Lee and Camby. Or take a long look at Boozer. People are saying OKC isn't really a desirable destination, but if someone values winning, I see no better fits than OKC and Chicago.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 01:49:33 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

I really hope they go after a good center.  Marcus Camby could make an intriguing one year rental, or Brendan Haywood.  I still think David Lee could be very good for that team (even if he is more of a PF).

Yea, they definitely have to look to the bigs of the free agent crop. Maybe target Bosh and Amare. And if they fall through, they can probably split their 16 mil in cap space between David Lee and Camby. Or take a long look at Boozer. People are saying OKC isn't really a desirable destination, but if someone values winning, I see no better fits than OKC and Chicago.

Yeah, after they won 50 games this year even though they're close to being the youngest team in the league, you have to think FA are paying attention.

I'm not sure if putting an All-Star big man on that team is the best idea, though - if it takes touches away from Durant, Westbrook, and Harden, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

What they need is a really great complementary big who can score 10-15 ppg in the post, rebound at a high level, and block some shots.  They need an anchor; Nenad Krstic just doens't cut it.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

David Lee would be great fit on that team.  Great garbage man scorer, excellent rebounder, nice 3rd or 4th option offensively. 

I'd then try trading Perk and Baby to them for Serge Ibaka and Nick Collison and maybe their 1st round pick, giving them the defensive/rebounding anchor they'd need to establish themselves as legit contenders.  They could start Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Lee and Perkins, with Maynor, Sefalosha, Green and Krstic off the bench.  That's a very good team with plenty of room to grow into greatness.

We'd get the great frontcourt athlete we've been missing in Ibaka and add a solid rotation big in Collison
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri