Author Topic: Why don't FA's go out West? and I don't mean to the Lakers  (Read 3954 times)

Why don't FA's go out West? and I don't mean to the Lakers
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I really don't understand why some free agents want to stick in the EAST? (I know I've got a Boston bias) I mean why is it that it's either NY - I know why - basketball mecca. or the LA Lakers. But why do they want to go to the Lakers? If they want a team on the West Coast and Hollywood, why must it be to the Lakers, why not the Clippers.
For example, if LeBron is leaving Cleveland, why couldn't he go out West to the Clippers or to San Antonio or Dallas?
Does anyone else agree with me?
I'm sick of FA's going to NY or LA (Lakers). Let start a ban against NYC and LA (Lakers)!

Re: Why don't FA's go out West? and I don't mean to the Lakers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I really don't understand why some free agents want to stick in the EAST? (I know I've got a Boston bias) I mean why is it that it's either NY - I know why - basketball mecca. or the LA Lakers. But why do they want to go to the Lakers? If they want a team on the West Coast and Hollywood, why must it be to the Lakers, why not the Clippers.
For example, if LeBron is leaving Cleveland, why couldn't he go out West to the Clippers or to San Antonio or Dallas?
I'm sick of FA's going to NY or LA (Lakers). Let start a ban against NYC and LA (Lakers)!

Why go to a team like the Clippers?  They are known to be cheap.  They are known not to win. 

Unless the team ownership changes, I have a hard time seeing that team shake that perception.

Sac is a small town.

GS is a mess in the front office. 

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147

Why go to a team like the Clippers?  They are known to be cheap.  They are known not to win. 

Unless the team ownership changes, I have a hard time seeing that team shake that perception.

Sac is a small town.

The Clips could be a problem with Lebron...

Baron
Eric Gordon
Lebron
Blake Griffin
Kaman

Thats a potential/former/current allstar at every position.  That starting lineup could give teams some serious headdaches.  Plus its a major market, i think it almost makes the most sense for Lebron to go there out of all his other options...

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 02:47:45 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
And let's not forget, the Lakers are king out there in LA like the Sox are here.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 02:49:44 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Clippers are like the kid brother to the Lakers.

Lakers have all the history and glamour while the Clippers have the joke-like history and a notoriously cheap owner.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 03:07:21 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Here's a question maybe better suited for an LA forum: In other cities with two teams in the same sport there is regional support. For instance, The South Side of Chicago are for the White Sox fans while the North Side for the Cubs. NY has the Mets supported by Queens and the Yankees getting the Bronx and much of Manhattan. Do these regional fan bases exist in LA for the Clippers and Lakers?

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Here's a question maybe better suited for an LA forum: In other cities with two teams in the same sport there is regional support. For instance, The South Side of Chicago are for the White Sox fans while the North Side for the Cubs. NY has the Mets supported by Queens and the Yankees getting the Bronx and much of Manhattan. Do these regional fan bases exist in LA for the Clippers and Lakers?

The really rich famous people follow the Lakers.  The B-list stars go to the Clippers.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

The really rich famous people follow the Lakers.  The B-list stars go to the Clippers.

Frankie Muniz is B list?  I think you're giving him too much credit.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 03:17:05 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Andre Miller went to Portland this year, even though he isn't a superstar, Baron Davis was a star when he first signed with the Clippers, and Carlos Boozer went to the Jazz over Cleveland, but that is all the decent to big free agents that I can think of that have gone out west other than to the Lakers.

I do know what you mean, not as many star players or free-agents at all go out west.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 03:24:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Free agents generally go to the teams with cap space.  This summer, the majority of the max cap space teams are in the East. 

I think a marquee player could very well end up in LA, but the overall ineptness of that management put them at a distinct disadvantage, even if they do have some nice pieces to put around a star.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
i guess what I'm saying is that can a BIG NAME FA go out West to some other team than the Lakers. In fact I'll go a step further and say why don't 2 Big Name FA's go to a particular team to really knock off the Lakers.

For example, we keep hearing that Lebron wants to go to NY, and there's a slight possiblity tht DWade might go there too. Why can't they decided to bolt to a team like Portland? or Phoenix?
and really knock the swagger off of the Lakers.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 04:19:53 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
i guess what I'm saying is that can a BIG NAME FA go out West to some other team than the Lakers. In fact I'll go a step further and say why don't 2 Big Name FA's go to a particular team to really knock off the Lakers.

For example, we keep hearing that Lebron wants to go to NY, and there's a slight possiblity tht DWade might go there too. Why can't they decided to bolt to a team like Portland? or Phoenix?
and really knock the swagger off of the Lakers.

If a big time free-agent goes to any team out west, it will be LeBron to the Clippers. 

They have already said that LeBron would already be able to choose the teams next coach and GM, with Larry Brown, even though as we all know that he is coaching the Bobcats right now, being looked at.

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Sac is a small town.

The Clips could be a problem with Lebron...

Baron
Eric Gordon
Lebron
Blake Griffin
Kaman

Thats a potential/former/current allstar at every position.  That starting lineup could give teams some serious headdaches.  Plus its a major market, i think it almost makes the most sense for Lebron to go there out of all his other options...
well imagine the fakers

kobe
artest
bronnie
pau
bynum

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 04:47:19 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell

well imagine the fakers

kobe
artest
bronnie
pau
bynum

- that will NEVER happen. not enough ball to go around.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 04:50:42 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

well imagine the fakers

kobe
artest
bronnie
pau
bynum

- that will NEVER happen. not enough ball to go around.

Lakers don't have the money for LeBron either.