Author Topic: Melo's problem in a nutshell  (Read 14118 times)

Melo's problem in a nutshell
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:00:43 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
from CNNSI

Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony is enjoying his Olympic experience so much he's interested in returning for the 2012 Games in London. "Hell, yeah,'' he said. "I'll be 27 years old (actually 28)... Depending on what the process is, I am open to 2012. We shall see what the process is.'' However, with the current Olympic team having made a three-summer commitment, starting with the 2006 World Championships, Anthony didn't sound too keen on doing that again. "It is a grind, but I don't think that, from what I'm hearing there will be another three-year commitment or something like that,'' he said. "So I will have to see that. But, if it's come to play and try out in '11 or '12, then I'll be good for that.''

perfect example of why melo will always be good, not great.

Even in the midst of Team usa having a strong turnoment, he doesn't seem to grasp that the reason thier having a good run is that for once they actually commited to working hard and with a set goal in mind. instead, melo would prefer the no commitment route and putting the team together at the last minute.  Melo is eternally the lazy one with regards to his commitment level, both to his NBA team and international ball.

He wants to win once on the court, in the NBA and in world competitions, that i'm not questioning, But its this kind of shirking of the work before the goal that gets him in trouble, both home and abroad.

Melo can be summed up in a nutshell as a great talent who has no drive to go above and beyond off the court.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Melo's problem in a nutshell
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Melo shouldn't worry too much about the grind.  I mean, he'll be getting plenty of rest and vacation time as his teams continually miss the playoffs entirely or lose in the first round the next several seasons.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Melo shouldn't worry too much about the grind.  I mean, he'll be getting plenty of rest and vacation time as his teams continually miss the playoffs entirely or lose in the first round the next several seasons.

Excellent post, Roy.  It's a good thing Karl has Doug Moe next to him because the only way a team with the thugster and Anthony as their best players is going to win is if they average 150ppg.  Even then, they'll be less than a .500 team.  Camby was the only reason this team has made the playoffs the last two years.  He covered 2-3 positions defensively on every rotation.

Melo can be summed up in a nutshell as a great talent who has no drive to go above and beyond off the court.

Again, I'll harken back to the notion that this means little or nothing to these guys.  It's too much work when they're not getting paid.  Why should they work every summer for nothing?   ;D  Of course, I forgot, patroitism.   ;D  Anthony is overrated and a jerk but I wouldn't blame any of these guys for playing or not playing.

Anthony's problem in a nutshell comes every time he opens his mouth. 

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Excellent post, Roy.  It's a good thing Karl has Doug Moe next to him because the only way a team with the thugster and Anthony as their best players is going to win is if they average 150ppg.  Even then, they'll be less than a .500 team.  Camby was the only reason this team has made the playoffs the last two years.  He covered 2-3 positions defensively on every rotation.

Again, I'll harken back to the notion that this means little or nothing to these guys.  It's too much work when they're not getting paid.  Why should they work every summer for nothing?   ;D  Of course, I forgot, patroitism.   ;D  Anthony is overrated and a jerk but I wouldn't blame any of these guys for playing or not playing.

Anthony's problem in a nutshell comes every time he opens his mouth. 

I'm not goign to get into the trap of assumign it means nothing to them because thats what you belive. nothing to me says "disconect" from athletes more than the fact that we always seem to know exactly what thier thinking about every issue.

but what is plain is that  the other guys on the team work there tails off for thier NBA teams (at least, most of them) Melo has consistantly done the bare minimum for the nuggets. He shows up and plays. You never hear about his offseason commitment to gettign better, or that he's into camp early. In fact you hear that he has trouble making meetings, and staying out of trouble since he likes to party every night during the season. I'm not one to act like we own these guys, and thus they should be in bed by 9 every night, but when your out partying during the stretch run to make the playoffs and getting banged for a DWI?  ???

Melo is lazy. He's very good, but could be great if he wasen't a waste off the court. This is just a symptom of the problem
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:15:44 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
but what is plain is that  the other guys on the team work there tails off for thier NBA teams (at least, most of them) Melo has consistantly done the bare minimum for the nuggets. He shows up and plays. You never hear about his offseason commitment to gettign better, or that he's into camp early. In fact you hear that he has trouble making meetings, and staying out of trouble since he likes to party every night during the season. I'm not one to act like we own these guys, and thus they should be in bed by 9 every night, but when your out partying during the stretch run to make the playoffs and getting banged for a DWI? 

I think you underrate his committment to his causes.  He's probably very busy doing community service...Running around the various Denver 'hoods promoting his "no snitch" initiative.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 11:18:56 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
but what is plain is that  the other guys on the team work there tails off for thier NBA teams (at least, most of them) Melo has consistantly done the bare minimum for the nuggets. He shows up and plays. You never hear about his offseason commitment to gettign better, or that he's into camp early. In fact you hear that he has trouble making meetings, and staying out of trouble since he likes to party every night during the season. I'm not one to act like we own these guys, and thus they should be in bed by 9 every night, but when your out partying during the stretch run to make the playoffs and getting banged for a DWI? 

I think you underrate his committment to his causes.  He's probably very busy doing community service...Running around the various Denver 'hoods promoting his "no snitch" initiative.

lol, with his sidekick AI teaching the kids about the value of practice.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 11:40:30 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Melo's problem is that he can't face his fears, his fear being a guy a foot shorter than him (don't make me provide the link, you all know what I'm talking about)  ;D
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 12:10:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Melo's problem in a nutshell, he's an idiotic dink.......again, that's just the nutshell, condensed version of things.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
This is getting to be a pretty big nutshell with all these accurate comments. Here is my 2 cents...

His issue is that he is a one-dimensional player who really isn't near as good as he thinks he is. All he can do is score 1-1. Nothing more.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:48:05 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Melo's problem in a nutshell, he's an idiotic dink.......again, that's just the nutshell, condensed version of things.

dude, stop snitching =)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
His issue is that he is a one-dimensional player who really isn't near as good as he thinks he is. All he can do is score 1-1. Nothing more.

Oh sure, he's really one-dimensional. It's not like he just came off a year where he averaged 7.4 rebounds a game or anything, which is excellent for a small forward. But why not let our preconceived notions of a player get in the way of facts!

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

exactly. melo will always be just good... not good enough to be as good as wade or lebron.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 01:06:07 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
It's funny how you guys act like you know Melo and you have been in the Nuggets locker room.  I'm not a big Melo fan either but I feel like I have to stick up for him after all the ridiculous things you guys are saying.  Your right he doesn't have that inner drive that others have such as Kobe, Lebron, MJ, and Wade seem to have.  Those are just natural instincts that only a lucky few are born with.  But I truly don't understand how you could call him lazy.  His entire life has been dedicated to working on and improving his game.  It got him a scholarship to a great school and it got him a multi-million dollar contract.  And if he likes to party with that money than so what.  I wouldn't want him on the Celtic's but I do have a great deal of respect for him which the rest of you seem to be lacking.

Also you guys have no idea what he is like off the court except for a few legal incidents.  I don't think it's fair to judge him on a few isolated incidents.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Melo Pierce shouldn't worry too much about the grind.  I mean, he'll be getting plenty of rest and vacation time as his teams continually miss the playoffs entirely or lose in the first round the next several seasons.

Melo Pierce can be summed up in a nutshell as a great talent who has no drive to go above and beyond off the court.

but what is plain is that  the other guys on the team work there tails off for thier NBA teams (at least, most of them) Melo Pierce has consistantly done the bare minimum for the nuggets Celtics. He shows up and plays. You never hear about his offseason commitment to gettign better, or that he's into camp early. In fact you hear that he has trouble making meetings, and staying out of trouble since he likes to party every night during the season. I'm not one to act like we own these guys, and thus they should be in bed by 9 every night, but when your out partying and getting banged for a DWI  stabbed in a nightclub?

exactly. melo Pierce will always be just good... not good enough to be as good as wade Kobe or lebron Nowitzki.

This is getting to be a pretty big nutshell with all these accurate comments. Here is my 2 cents...

His Pierce's issue is that he is a one-dimensional player who really isn't near as good as he thinks he is. All he can do is score 1-1. Nothing more.

Nice to see Carmelo is the subject of the latest offseason Two Minutes Hate thread.  Full disclosure, I'm from the Syracuse area, so I'm probably a little biased, but I can't help but notice everything you are dumping on Carmelo would have been accurate to say about Pierce at his age (except for the 1 dimensional scorer part, which isn't true for either but was a common inaccurate criticism of Pierce too) - hence the changes above.  I rarely have agreed with Simmons so much as when he said Denver would be idiotic to trade Anthony after seeing what Pierce has accomplished, as Carmelo is the closest thing in the league to where Pierce was 3-5 years ago.

Carmelo certainly has his problems, but he is a tremendously talented player, and, despite the bad press, actually a good guy, albeit a good guy who comes from a crap neighborhood and so has run in sketchy circles. He's donated over $3 million to Syracuse University for the 1 year he played there, over $4 million for projects in the city of Baltimore, and works with a prostate cancer foundation. He's also the ONLY basketball player to be named as one of the top 30 celebrity philanthropists in America (in fact he was at #8).  I found all this in 30 seconds of Google searching, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your blind criticisms - he's just a stupid, frivolous, lazy thug, right?

Yes, he's not a perfect person, and a flawed player, but I would say his main problem is that he hasn't fully adjusted to not being able to get by on pure talent.  A lack of good veteran role models on that rogue's gallery of a Nuggets team hasn't helped either - just look at how our younger guys have progressed having the positive influence of the Big 3 here for just one year, and then remember that Anthony is the same age or a couple years older than most of them. 

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Melo Pierce shouldn't worry too much about the grind.  I mean, he'll be getting plenty of rest and vacation time as his teams continually miss the playoffs entirely or lose in the first round the next several seasons.

Melo Pierce can be summed up in a nutshell as a great talent who has no drive to go above and beyond off the court.

but what is plain is that  the other guys on the team work there tails off for thier NBA teams (at least, most of them) Melo Pierce has consistantly done the bare minimum for the nuggets Celtics. He shows up and plays. You never hear about his offseason commitment to gettign better, or that he's into camp early. In fact you hear that he has trouble making meetings, and staying out of trouble since he likes to party every night during the season. I'm not one to act like we own these guys, and thus they should be in bed by 9 every night, but when your out partying and getting banged for a DWI  stabbed in a nightclub?

exactly. melo Pierce will always be just good... not good enough to be as good as wade Kobe or lebron Nowitzki.

His Pierce's issue is that he is a one-dimensional player who really isn't near as good as he thinks he is. All he can do is score 1-1. Nothing more.

Nice to see Carmelo is the subject of the latest offseason Two Minutes Hate thread.  Full disclosure, I'm from the Syracuse area, so I'm probably a little biased, but I can't help but notice everything you are dumping on Carmelo would have been accurate to say about Pierce at his age (except for the 1 dimensional scorer part, which isn't true for either but was a common inaccurate criticism of Pierce too) - hence the changes above.  I rarely have agreed with Simmons so much as when he said Denver would be idiotic to trade Anthony after seeing what Pierce has accomplished, as Carmelo is the closest thing in the league to where Pierce was 3-5 years ago.

Carmelo certainly has his problems, but he is a tremendously talented player, and, despite the bad press, actually a good guy, albeit a good guy who comes from a crap neighborhood and so has run in sketchy circles. He's donated over $3 million to Syracuse University for the 1 year he played there, over $4 million for projects in the city of Baltimore, and works with a prostate cancer foundation. He's also the ONLY basketball player to be named as one of the top 30 celebrity philanthropists in America (in fact he was at #8).  I found all this in 30 seconds of Google searching, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your blind criticisms - he's just a stupid, frivolous, lazy thug, right?

Yes, he's not a perfect person, and a flawed player, but I would say his main problem is that he hasn't fully adjusted to not being able to get by on pure talent.  A lack of good veteran role models on that rogue's gallery of a Nuggets team hasn't helped either - just look at how our younger guys have progressed having the positive influence of the Big 3 here for just one year, and then remember that Anthony is the same age or a couple years older than most of them. 

you could say that, it would be unture, but you could say it.

coming out of collage pierce was seen as an athletic slasher who could finsh at the rim, but lacked a complete offensive game.

Pierce was always known to work hard in the offseason, and to polish area's of his game that he had problems in. thus how waaayyyyy before these last few years, he was known for having a deadly mid range game (which he lacked coming out of kansas) good 3 pt shooting ability (lacked coming out of kansas.) The ability to post up (lacked coming out of kansas) and better, if still not great ball handleling skills (while pierce still turns it over in pressure a bit to much, he improved this through hard work.)

in collage, melo was known as a great scorer who had issues with effort on defense. 5 years into his career....he's known as a great scorer who doesn't play defense. outside of his rebounding, which he has improved, he's the same player he was in his sophmore season.

If he gave a [dang] about his game, AT ALL, he'd already be able to play better defense and handel better. but he doesn't seem to care. He's content with being a great scorer, which he no doubt is.

if you want a non-celtic contempary, from a "putting in the effort" standpoint, LBJ was a average defender at best his forst few years, and couldn't sink his mad range jumper to save his life. 5 years later, he's really turned it up on defense, and his mid range jumper is in the process of going from liablity to strength.

The one thing you crossed out that makes any sense is that paul was immature when he came into the league, no doubt about that. But don't confuse that with lack of work ethic. paul has always shown the latter, if not the former. even after he got stabbed, no doubt for being an idiot, he was back working 2 months later.

melo's yet to show either maturity or a work ethic. but other than the above, yea, interchangable. ;)