Author Topic: Jannero Pargo signs 1 year deal worth 3.5 million with Russia  (Read 4156 times)

Jannero Pargo signs 1 year deal worth 3.5 million with Russia
« on: August 15, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3537498

What do you think? 3.5 million isn't that high.

Re: Jannero Pargo signs 1 year deal worth 3.5 million with Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
He wasn't going to get that kind of money here in the NBA. It's high for a player like him.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
He probably would have been looking at the vet minumum, or maybe a wee bit more (like, $2M per) had he stayed in the NBA.  Eddie House money.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I would've given him that. He was great in the playoffs. His defense let Chris Paul cruise on defense and play great at the other end. He's a streaky shooter but that kid can play. That's Scal money. He's worth that.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 07:16:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
It's terrible. Pargo is a legit player, he was the 6th man on a contender last season. Awful to lose a player like him to Europe. He was good value at $3.5mil too. Several teams made a mistake not bringing him in, including the Hornets.

At least they have a good replacement in Mike James already on the books, but I think Pargo is better, it's a downgrade. Still they're solid at the position. It's their lack of a backup big that ruins that bench.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 07:27:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's terrible. Pargo is a legit player, he was the 6th man on a contender last season. Awful to lose a player like him to Europe. He was good value at $3.5mil too. Several teams made a mistake not bringing him in, including the Hornets.

At least they have a good replacement in Mike James already on the books, but I think Pargo is better, it's a downgrade. Still they're solid at the position. It's their lack of a backup big that ruins that bench.

Yeah, I'm surprised that the Hornets didn't match.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:33:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I guess Mike James is happy.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
puts a bit more pressure on posey to produce - according to what i read they lost pargo b/c they had their money in posey.

if posey doesn't play consistently great, it could be problematic.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 08:31:23 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
puts a bit more pressure on posey to produce - according to what i read they lost pargo b/c they had their money in posey.

At the same time, for as much quick volume scoring as Pargo can occasionally put up, it's worth remembering that actual 'hot' streaks with him are far more the exception than the rule.  The guy is a grade-A chucker: He puts up 15.7 shots per 36 minutes, and his true shooting percentage last year was an absolutely miserable 46.8 percent (and he's only 47.8 for his career).  That's disgustingly inefficient. 

I don't think Posey needs to be looking over his shoulder at the ghosts of Pargo past.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 09:08:02 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

At the same time, for as much quick volume scoring as Pargo can occasionally put up, it's worth remembering that actual 'hot' streaks with him are far more the exception than the rule.  The guy is a grade-A chucker: He puts up 15.7 shots per 36 minutes, and his true shooting percentage last year was an absolutely miserable 46.8 percent (and he's only 47.8 for his career).  That's disgustingly inefficient. 

I don't think Posey needs to be looking over his shoulder at the ghosts of Pargo past.

-sw

Exactly my thoughts. In my opinion Pargo shot the Hornets out of the playoffs last season. He played heroics and took so many shots that froze his teammates. I don't think he's such a big loss to the Hornets or to any other title contender.

PS - Thinking about his weaknesses, Pargo can be a player who improves a lot in Europe, under the guidance of a coach like Walsh. It'll be interesting to see if he can play within Walsh's system (I guess I'll start following the ULEB Cup next season, with these Russian teams making all these signings... another sports channel to subscribe... Russian billionaires are killing my budget;) )
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:32:06 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 09:09:35 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Yeah, I'm surprised that the Hornets didn't match.

Are you considering that the $3.5 million is a net salary? It would translate into a MLE salary, I suppose.

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 09:44:54 PM »

Offline Bostonsportfan

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 2
hmmmmm! interesting. I can't belive New Orleans did not resign him he was a great backup last season for them. besides who wants to Mother Russia anyway, gets pretty cold there and they threaten to nuke the Polish and invade tiny countries for  fun. lol