Author Topic: Iguodala agrees to six-year, $80 million deal with Sixers  (Read 8682 times)

Iguodala agrees to six-year, $80 million deal with Sixers
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »

Offline I am... a brain doctor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • ...For me to poop on!!!
Consider me impressed. I think Iggy is a good player and all, but I don't think he is worth more than Josh Smith, Emeka, or Deng.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3532139

Re: Iguodala agrees to six-year, $80 million deal with Sixers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:54:21 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Yeah, I would have assumed that he'd lose money from last year's offer based on his lackluster playoff performance.  Whomever his agent is earned his cut this time. 
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:14:47 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Wow, that's good money. Now maybe he'll consistently hit a jump shot.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:27:22 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Consider me impressed. I think Iggy is a good player and all, but I don't think he is worth more than Josh Smith, Emeka, or Deng.

I disagree with that. Iggy is superior to Deng, Emeka, or Josh Smith. He's the best offensive player and the best defensive player of that group. What truly separates him from the pack is  that he does something none of that group can do ... create for others and help their teammates by doing so. He's by far the best passer, ball-handler and playmaker of the bunch. Iggy is the definitely the player out of the four that I would choose and by a wide margin over the other three.

I was hoping they'd sign Iggy to a $75mil contract, didn't think they had any hope for less than that considering what the market was paying lesser players. $80mil is a bit more but it's workable, no problems with that contract. Very good signing by the Sixers.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:45:54 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Don't overlook the Sixers, folks.  They will have the best defensive front line in basketball.  Definitely the most athletic.  Brand is a perfect match for the Sixers.  Miller is underrated.  If they get anything close to quality 2-guard play, they will come in at least a 4-seed but could be as high as a 2 seed in the east.  They will be knocking at our door maybe this year but definitely in 2009-2010.

The trade of the most overrated and selfish player in basketball, the thugster, and some terrific personnel moves has turned this team into an instant contender.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Don't overlook the Sixers, folks.  They will have the best defensive front line in basketball.

They don't have the best defensive front line in the division.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:35:51 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Don't overlook the Sixers, folks.  They will have the best defensive front line in basketball.

Dalembert: 10.4 rpg 2.3 bpg, Brand: 9.3 rpg, 2.2 bpg (in '07)
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 11:52:40 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Cameby : 13.3 RPG 3.3 BPG Martin: 7.2 RPG 1.6 BPG(in 07')

total front line starter production:

sixers: 19.7 Reb 4.5 blocks

Nuggets : 20.5 Reb blocks 4.9

so, whats your point?

i mean, i agree they'll be much, much more dangerous with brand, but the Reb and block numbers do not a terrifing defense make.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:10:34 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Of all of the players that declined their options last year (Smith, Gordon, Okafor), he's the best and he had the best season.  I don't understand the knock on him that he disappeared in the playoffs.  First off, he made the playoffs.  Secondly, he's the only viable offensive player on his team against the second best team in the league known for their defense.  Now, I didn't watch any of the games, but I'm sure the Pistons plan was something like "just stop Iguodala".  Thirdly, it took the Pistons six games to do that. 

$80M is a lot, but I think he'll end up being one of those guys you can afford to overpay.

Although I'm still mad at him that he took it to my high school at the Illinois State Tournament.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:12:09 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't know, there is this front line in Boston that is pretty good. 

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
What will be truly interesting about the Sixers' defense will be Thaddeus Young+Andre Iguodala on the wings.

We already have a solid expectation from the rest of the squad and what they can do defensively and they should be a top 4-8 defense ... but an Iggy/Thaddeus combo on the wings could become a separating factor that makes them a top 4 defense.

I while ago I thought Young and Iggy could become the best pair/combination of defensive wings in the game. Then that Artest fellow landed in Houston next to that Battier bloke ....

Heck Iggy/Young still might have a shot at being the best pairing because both are more versatile defensively and are far superior full court/trapping defenders which is something Phily already actively use to change the tempo of games to suit their needs. They might end up with a larger impact because of that, then again maybe not. We'll see in time.

Iggy and Thaddeus have great size, strength and quickness for their respective positions which will help.

you could make a case Tracy will be starting and playing the largest portion of minutes though, that still gives Houston a very good combo when Tracy is committed defensively.

Ron-Ron and Shane should be considered the top duo until proven otherwise.

Who else have great combination of defenders at SG/SF?

Boston? Ray is solid and Pierce is excellent
Detroit? Rip is very good and Prince is pretty good

I wouldn't put San An or Cleveland in there because they don't have a second quality defensive player. Be interesting to see what Wade/Marion can do together, that shouldn't be too far off of the C's duo. Any other teams?

I'd put Phily up there alongside Boston and Detroit already with a Thaddeus/Andre pairing. If Young can continue to grow defensively, and I think he should, they could challenge Houston for the best pair of defensive wings in the game.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

So they're both superior defenders to KG because of their rebounding and blocks?

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 02:02:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

So they're both superior defenders to KG because of their rebounding and blocks?

TP tim and WDL, to me those stats are nice, but no indication of them suddenly being a great defensive front line. It took me 2 minutes to find a "better" frontline in denver, and im sure there's alot of duo's on average at best defensive teams that put up those kinds of numbers.

In summary, yes, i think the sixers are contenders, no, i don't think there "one of the best front line defenses!" just because of this.

they very well may be in the end, but it will take some time to see.

there's multiple front lines who are much better defensivly ATM.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:08:12 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

TP tim and WDL, to me those stats are nice, but no indication of them suddenly being a great defensive front line. It took me 2 minutes to find a "better" frontline in denver, and im sure there's alot of duo's on average at best defensive teams that put up those kinds of numbers.

In summary, yes, i think the sixers are contenders, no, i don't think there "one of the best front line defenses!" just because of this.

Except of course that Camby no longer actually plays in Denver.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Except of course that Camby no longer actually plays in Denver.

to my knowledge, brand has never played a game in philly, yet his stats from last year were used like he was to show off the dalenbert/brand frontcourt.

camby's 07 stats were as a nugget, so i put him along side his partner.