Author Topic: Nick Fazekas  (Read 1649 times)

Nick Fazekas
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:24:31 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Anyone interested in the guy?

If Ainge has no other cards up his sleeve, I would love to take a flyer on him with a smallish contract, especially if the contract has some team options. Let him earn the money.

He's an Unrestricted Free Agent now, thanks to the Clippers withdrawing their qualifying offer and relinquishing there rights to maintain his Restricted Free Agent status.

He's still young (23) and has height (6'11).

He can play from outside, and when he finally got spot playing time last season, he earned 11.8 minutes for the Clippers and managed 4.7 and 3.4 and shot .571. Small sample size, but it's his only real chance and he's shown some stuff. Good enough for 15.9/13.2 per 40 averages and a 19.65 PER.

He obviously has red flags and question marks, as he slipped to the 2nd round and was released by 2 different teams. However, there were extenuating circumstances in his releases: the Mavs needed a roster spot for Keith Van Horn, and the Clippers are completely reshaping their roster and releasing a lot of players to clear cap room for free agents.

Additionally, he's slow for a PF and weak for a center; the big question is could the C's training staff, who did such a good job with Al and Perk, get Fazekas quicker to be a PF or stronger to be a C for defensive purposes? That's why I'd prefer team option contracts, just to keep his motivation to train hard high.

However, in his only opportunity he's performed well offensively. He might be worth a risk for some team, I'd be curious to keep an eye on him for a couple seasons.