Author Topic: Mavericks (6-3) at Celtics (7-1) Game #9 11/11/19  (Read 51270 times)

Re: Mavericks (6-3) at Celtics (7-1) Game #9 11/11/19
« Reply #810 on: November 12, 2019, 09:50:49 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
What was up with Brad's rotations early in the 4th, the game was slipping away, we couldnt get a bucket, but he didnt want to put Kemba or Brown back in. I almost lost it. I think the lineup was Wannamaker, Tatum, Theis, GWill and Green. That's just atrocious offense...luckily Kemba bailed us out
I was questioning this as well but it appears he was trying to rest the starters up hoping to go with them(Kemba/Smart/Brown/Theis/Tatum) for a good 6 minutes to end them game. And it worked. That group pulled away and cemented the game.

Well with Brown it was that he played the entire or nearly the entire 3rd quarter and so he just needed at rest at the start of the fourth. He ended up playing 38 minutes, Smart had 37 and Kemba at 33 after sitting out like the last 3 or so due too that injury.

« Reply #811 on: November 12, 2019, 10:32:13 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Did Tatum guard Porzingis a lot? Or was that Smart?

Smart gave Porzingis nightmares. He was on him like white on rice to the point where when Porzingis turned his head to look for a pass, he accidentally hit Smart in the face.

Actually, Marcus mostly covered Doncic and Jaylen mostly covered Porzingis, at least before they chased him off the floor. Marcus did switch onto Porzingis a few times.

I thought this was the most interesting element of the game. Both Jaylen and Marcus were able to completely dominate Porzingis. Given his size, this was startling.

Will anyone in the league make the C's pay for using a pair of guards this way, without any real second big on the floor? I've yet to see anyone so far.

« Reply #812 on: November 12, 2019, 10:47:54 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Smart gave Porzingis nightmares. He was on him like white on rice to the point where when Porzingis turned his head to look for a pass, he accidentally hit Smart in the face.

Actually, Marcus mostly covered Doncic and Jaylen mostly covered Porzingis, at least before they chased him off the floor. Marcus did switch onto Porzingis a few times.

I thought this was the most interesting element of the game. Both Jaylen and Marcus were able to completely dominate Porzingis. Given his size, this was startling.

Will anyone in the league make the C's pay for using a pair of guards this way, without any real second big on the floor? I've yet to see anyone so far.

Size doesn't matter if you don't know how to use it. There are few true back-to-basket players that can dominate you with size. Most are skilled perimeter players.

Even guys like Embiid (who does make you pay for going small) would rather try to attack closeouts and shoot mid-range shots than truly post up and use their size.

Honestly, Enes Kanter might be one of about 5 guys in the NBA that can really make you pay for going small. KAT? Gobert (mainly because of the lob not the postup)? Jokic? Vucevic? Drummond? Embiid?

There are others who can score inside, but none who can do so in a way that makes you change your defense significantly. None that break your defense. Some that may have good games, but none that have games that give you the automatic W.

The game of basketball is at least partially about making the other team try to attack you in ways they are uncomfortable. Most teams today are not comfortable attacking inside. Therefore, CBS says, "We dare you to try to try to throw it to Love in the post against Smart. Go ahead. Beat us trying to do that."

« Reply #813 on: November 12, 2019, 10:57:14 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

The game of basketball is at least partially about making the other team try to attack you in ways they are uncomfortable. Most teams today are not comfortable attacking inside. Therefore, CBS says, "We dare you to try to try to throw it to Love in the post against Smart. Go ahead. Beat us trying to do that."

Also when that happens, the game slows down and what it does is it can freeze up the shooters. You have to make sure its not quick and easy though, because that's just recipe for disaster. What Smart is doing though, is making them work by fighting for positions, making the offense stagnant. Do it for a while then start trapping the big guy and the shooters may start to miss when given kickouts.

« Reply #814 on: November 12, 2019, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Size doesn't matter if you don't know how to use it. There are few true back-to-basket players that can dominate you with size. Most are skilled perimeter players.

Even guys like Embiid (who does make you pay for going small) would rather try to attack closeouts and shoot mid-range shots than truly post up and use their size.

Honestly, Enes Kanter might be one of about 5 guys in the NBA that can really make you pay for going small. KAT? Gobert (mainly because of the lob not the postup)? Jokic? Vucevic? Drummond? Embiid?

There are others who can score inside, but none who can do so in a way that makes you change your defense significantly. None that break your defense. Some that may have good games, but none that have games that give you the automatic W.

It isn't just about those moments after a big receives a pass in the low post. Big guys generally abuse smaller players before they get the ball. Most small guys can't keep a big from getting deep position. Smart and Brown are perhaps the two strongest guards in the league, and bigs just don't seem to be able to back them up.

« Reply #815 on: November 12, 2019, 12:45:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Brad is pretty clearly trying hard to keep the main 4 players around 32 MPG when constructing his rotations. Obviously with the injuries to Jaylen and now Gordon that's slipping a little bit depending on the game.

He also seems to want Theis around 24 MPG give or take. (leaving the rest to Timelord and then some small ball with no C)
I know, easy to forget Kanter, but he's back though minutes were limited for him last night.   ;)  The "small-ball" is with Theis at C.

« Reply #816 on: November 12, 2019, 12:57:28 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Theis really did well despite the pain.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #817 on: November 18, 2019, 10:14:38 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I can’t watch the game, only the box score. So far so good.

Who looks good for the Celtics?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva