Author Topic: Celtics (23-5) at Clippers (12-17) 12/27  (Read 66246 times)

Celtics (23-5) at Clippers (12-17) 12/27
« on: December 26, 2009, 06:10:35 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
   at 
Boston Celtics (23-5) at Los Angeles Clippers (12-17)
Sunday, December 27
9:30 PM ET
Game #29, Road Game #15
TV:  CSN-NE, FSNP, NBA LP 758, 759
Radio:  WEEI, KFWB
Staples Center

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Baron Davis 

Shooting Guard
  vs 
Ray Allen vs Eric Gordon

Small Forward
  vs 
Tony Allen vs Rasual Butler

Power Forward
vs
Kevin Garnett vs Marcus Camby

Center
vs
Kendrick Perkins vs Chris Kaman

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Big Baby Davis
Eddie House
Bill Walker
Brian Scalabrine
Shelden Williams
JR Giddens

Injuries
Kevin Garnett (back) questionable
Marquis Daniels (thumb)  out
Paul Pierce (knee)  out

D League
Lester Hudson   

Reserves
Sebastian Telfair
Al Thornton
Brian Skinner
Craig Smith
Ricky Davis
Mardy Collins
Steve Novak
DeAndre Jordan

Injuries
Marcus Camby (knee)  questionable
Blake Griffin (knee)  out
Kareem Rush (knee)  out 

Team Connections
 Baron Davis and Paul Pierce co-host a charity event called LA Stars during the summer along with Gilbert Arenas
Eddie House played for the Clippers during the 2003-04 season
Doc Rivers played for the Clippers during the 1991-92 season
Marcus Camby played for Tom Thibodeau in New York when he was
an assistant coach from 1998-2002
Ricky Davis played for the Celtics from 2003-06
Armond Hill played for the Clippers when they were in San Diego during the 1981-82 season
Craig Smith and Kevin Garnett were teammates in Minnesota during the 2006-07 season
Sebastian Telfair played for the Celtics during the 2006-07
season
Alex Acker and Rasheed Wallace were teammates in Detroit  in the 2005-06 and 2008-09 seasons
Sebastian Telfair, Craig Smith and Shelden Williams were teammates in Minnesota during the 2008-09 season.

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Baron Davis
Baron Davis has slowed some in recent years but he is still one of the NBA's elite point guards.  Rondo should be able to use his speed to get the best of this matchup. 

vs
Kendrick Perkins vs Chris Kaman
Kaman is leading the Clippers in points at 19.8 per game.  It will be up to Perk to slow him down and keep him from getting easy shots.

HonorableMention 
Kevin Garnett vs Marcus Camby
This key matchup may or may not materialize with both players listed as questionable for this game.   Camby hyperextended his knee in a loss vs the Rockets on Tuesday and left after one quarter of the Clipper's Christmas day loss to the Suns.  After missing one game with a bruised thigh, KG returned to the Celtics lineup but took a hard fall in the final minutes of the Celtics win in Orlando, hitting his head hard and landing awkwardly on his back.  He walked gingerly off the court holding his back and is also listed as questionable for this game. Camby is the Clippers' leading rebounder (11.5) and shot blocker (2.1).   Both players are key to their teams' success.  Rasheed Wallace would fill in for KG.  I'm not sure who would fill in for Camby if he couldn't play.   

Game Notes
• Celtics and Clippers split the season series 1-1 against in 2008-09
• Ray Allen led the Celtics with 18.5 points per game last season
• Baron Davis averaged 14.5 points per game against the Celtics last year
• The C’s are 6-4 against the Clippers since the 2004-05 season
• The Celtics are leading the all-time series 81-30 with the Celtics 41-11 at home

Both of these teams played on Christmas day with opposite results.  The Celtics are coming off an impressive win, even without the Captain, in Orlando while the Clippers are coming off one of their most lopsided losses of the season in Phoenix.  The Celtics are 13-1 on the road while the Clippers are 7-8 at home.  The Celtics are 9-1 in their last 10 games and have won 3 in a row.  The Clippers on the other hand are 4-6 in their last 10 and have lost 3 in a row. 

The Celtics are going for their 10th straight road win, which would match the second longest road win streak in franchise history.  The record is 13 straight road wins and 4 teams have made it to 10 in a row.  The most recent 10 game road win streak came Nov. 4-Dec. 17, 2008.   

The Celtics will be facing 2 former Celtics in this game. Sebastian Telfair and Ricky Davis have both been doing a decent job coming off the bench for the Clippers.   Both will have a special interest in getting a win over their old team. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Celtics have been winning with defense and that will be no different in this game.   Defense wins games and the Celtics need to continue to make it a priority. 

Rebound -  The Celtics need to make an effort to crash the boards and get more rebounds, especially on the offensive end.   The Clippers are capable of running on the break if the Celtics don't prevent it by keeping them from getting the rebounds. 

Focus - The Celtics' focus has been very good on the road.  In fact, they have been more focused on the road than they have been at home.  Hopefully they will keep this focus through the rest of their current road trip.   

X-Factor
Trap Game
After a big win over the Magic on Christmas day, it would be easy to overlook the Clippers who haven't been playing very well this year.  The Celtics shouldn't overlook the Clippers or they could end up losing a game they should win easily. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 02:12:55 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (23-5) at Clippers (12-17) 12/27
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Once again another great job by FLCeltsFan but one thing, and I'm not sure if you know this already, you have the Lakers hardwood down instead of the Clippers.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 08:33:36 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Thanks for another great set-up, Florida ... hope you enjoyed the Celtics' win on Friday, and I hope you and yours had a Christmas filled with blessings! (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 08:41:58 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
boston SHOULD wack the clippers..they play ZERO defense

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:48:21 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Once again another great job by FLCeltsFan but one thing, and I'm not sure if you know this already, you have the Lakers hardwood down instead of the Clippers.
TP for catching that.  I just did a search for Staples and didn't even think about there being two courts.  duh!

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:50:06 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks for another great set-up, Florida ... hope you enjoyed the Celtics' win on Friday, and I hope you and yours had a Christmas filled with blessings! (TP)
  Thanks Bahku!   Yes, I very much enjoyed the Celtics' win and then very much enjoyed the Lakers loss.   And yes, my Christmas and every day are filled with many blessings.   I wish for you the same. 

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
its not gona be an easy game. there is talent on this clipper team.

and Kaman is sooo ugly

celts should win, hope TA plays well this game. don't want to see scal in games anymore.

Is Walker getting called up while PP is out?

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 10:06:50 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
starting 5 is good but camby is gimpy...their bench is AWFUL

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
starting 5 is good but camby is gimpy...their bench is AWFUL

Butler can explode at any time ... nice thing is, it's only once-in-a-while, and he had a big game yesterday ... I doubt he'll do much in this one.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 12:17:50 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Q's Handicap Research -

Clippers are 1 and 4 in their last 5 games against brutal competition on the road. They won an OT game in Philly while Boston lost their Friday night home game to the Sixers in a complete statistical anamoly. I think you can throw that result out because this is Sunday night. Celtics in non-Friday games are 15 or 16 and that annual loss in Indiana on "Patriots Saturday" in the Hoosier State.

I expect the Clippers to come out as strong as they can as they have to make a push now to have a chance at the playoffs once Blake Griffin returns. They have good talent as dear old friend Ricky Davis is not in their regular rotation. Baron Davis plays well against us. Eric Gordon has caused a lot of trouble.

The Clippers do not play very good defense as they give up 110 points per 100 possessions.

The Celtics, on the other hand, give up 95 points per 100 on average for the season and put the hammer down on Orlando, limiting them to 78 points per 100.

Series history in Los Angelos since Garnett and Ray Allen walked through that door

2008 Boston hammered the Clippers 104-76
2009 Boston lost to the Clippers 93-91 (I think we were learning that KG was going to be gone for the season)

Today's game - The Celtics need to step on these guys throats early and often and finish their business tonight. Clippers may keep it competitive for a quarter like they did in Phoenix but I expect the Celtics to put the hammer down tonight and win by a 99-83 type score.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »

Kiorrik

Small Forward
  vs 

Spotted a minor flaw in the OP! Tony is good, FL, but not *that* good :D

;)

TP for the topic, and I'll check you guys in the game thread ;) sleepy time now :D

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 01:10:56 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Small Forward
  vs 

Spotted a minor flaw in the OP! Tony is good, FL, but not *that* good :D

;)

TP for the topic, and I'll check you guys in the game thread ;) sleepy time now :D
Yeah you beat me to it :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Hey, does somebody know where to find a Dunk counter this season, cause' I really think Perk is right up there in top 3.
TP award :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP FL!

I'm a little worried about this game since the Celtics could get overconfident after their win against Orlando and without the Captain.

But considering how good we've been on the road this season I think we will be ok. I'm hoping for a blowout to rest the starters since we play back to back in Golden State tomorrow.

I won't watch the game live (it starts too late and I have sleep to catch back) but I will watch it tomorrow. Go Celtics!

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 01:18:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
thanks once more for a great thread!  tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva