Author Topic: Paranormal Activity - Scariest film of all time?  (Read 28776 times)

Re: Paranormal Activity - Scariest film of all time?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 09:01:03 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
When I was a kid I tried to get through The Shining several times and always had to turn off the tv when the ghosts of those two sisters popped up in the hallway.  The movie always seemed to come on at night after my parents went to bed so that didn't help.  Thats the scariest movie for me, and I'll check out Paranormal Activity.

In terms of having a lasting effect on me, no doubt the scariest was the Shining.  It was one of the first scary movies I'd seen and I had to walk home through the woods in the dark (something I'd done a million times, just not after seeing a scary movie).

The two little ghost girls and the lady in the tub who turns all gross were particularly creepy. 
Yup

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 01:09:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The original Ring I think scared me the most of any movie since I was 12. It is easy to scare a twelve year old. I watched Candyman and was scared to close my eyes in the shower (you know, when you're shampooing. Whatever, don't judge me) for like three weeks. That was scary.

But the Ring? That movie scared 8 kinds of crap out of me. I don't even know why exactly. maybe it is because I watch so much TV, or maybe it is that creepy little walk, or maybe it is because she's not really human and can't be killed (I hate those kinds of monsters. Give me Gacy over Jason any day), but the Ring scared the living buh-jeezus out of me. I just watched this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03668oTEoIQ

God I hate that movie. Still. I hate it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 09:06:40 AM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
I went to see it last night here in Vegas and I got to give it a big thumbs up. Absolutely brilliant production despite the reported $15k budget. I didn't think it was "The scariest movie of all time" (Exorcist is indelibly my #1) but it definitely leaves a lasting impression on your psyche as evidenced by my wife and I sleeping with the lights on. I do recommend if you plan on seeing it DO NOT watch the preview trailer, as it will kinda spoil an otherwise terrifying ending.

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
this movie looks interesting and i want to see it at some point.

the scariest things in movies from when i was a kid:

1.  the flying monkeys in the wizard of oz
2. stephen king's it.

That part where the clown is down in the shower drain still creeps me out to this day!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 05:06:55 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Saw this a few hours ago.  It's the real deal.  May be the scariest movie Ive ever seen in the theatre.

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 06:47:41 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I love watching horror movies.. I just haven't been scared by one since I was like 5 and first saw one of the Elm Street flicks.

What are the chances I'll be scared to walk the streets alone in the dark after seeing this movie? Cause I do really want to see it.

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 08:36:38 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Event Horizon was good. That movie had its moments.
If they ever make dead space into a movie I think that would make a few head turn. The plot and setting are perfect for a horror movie
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 09:09:27 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The three movies that scared the heck out of me as a kid were Poltergeist, Amintyville Horror, and Night of the Living Dead.

I haven't seen this one yet.  The last horror movie I saw was the Collector, which was relatively decent.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
The original Ring I think scared me the most of any movie since I was 12. It is easy to scare a twelve year old. I watched Candyman and was scared to close my eyes in the shower (you know, when you're shampooing. Whatever, don't judge me) for like three weeks. That was scary.

But the Ring? That movie scared 8 kinds of crap out of me. I don't even know why exactly. maybe it is because I watch so much TV, or maybe it is that creepy little walk, or maybe it is because she's not really human and can't be killed (I hate those kinds of monsters. Give me Gacy over Jason any day), but the Ring scared the living buh-jeezus out of me. I just watched this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03668oTEoIQ

God I hate that movie. Still. I hate it.

I was wondering why no one had mentioned The Ring. It almost made me poop my pants. Well, not exactly... But you get the point.

I am looking forward to Paranormal Activity.

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 10:12:42 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
My girlfriend is obsessed with the horror genre so I literally have to see 90% of the horror movies that come out in theaters. I am not exaggerating.  Killer puppets, killer mirrors, killer plants, serial killers, killer ghosts...I have endured them all. I do not like half of them but I get to see my action/gangster flicks with no complaints so it works.

This one was excellent. I hate movies that rely on loud surprises for the cheap scares (most horror movies these days). This one maintained a truly creepy atmosphere throughout and had me totally spooked. The "characters" were believable and by the end, I really believed for those two hours that i was watching home footage of a demon terrorizing a young couple. From a bitter cynic when it comes to the afterlife, this was a huge leap for me. I highly recomend.

By the way...DO NOT WATCH ANY TRAILERS OF THIS MOVIE IF IT IS NOT TOO LATE. It probably is since you are reading this thread but it will ruin some scenes.

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2009, 10:03:07 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Event Horizon was good.

i thought i was the only one who felt that way!  everyone i know rolls their eyes or laughs when i say i like that film  ;D

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 10:07:38 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
the one that held me tight was "The Strangers"

liv tyler...love her lips..

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 05:55:28 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Alright, I just got done watching the 2007 version, and I gotta admit it was a little creepy. Not the movie, per se.. Just when I finished it (Like the second I did) I heard footsteps up stairs.. Luckily it wasn't no ghostie whostie haha

But yea, better than I expected. I couldnt stand Cloverfield cause of the first person/HUD POV but PA did a good job of not giving me motion sickness.  :)

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 07:04:52 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

I haven't seen this one yet.  The last horror movie I saw was the Collector, which was relatively decent.

I heard that was all right.  It mustve went under the radar, because I dont remember it playing in theatres.

Also, Night of the Living Dead is a top 5 horror movie for me.  40 years old and it still holds up.

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2009, 04:53:50 AM »

Offline mzepol

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
the one that held me tight was "The Strangers"

liv tyler...love her lips..

TP for The Strangers. Definitely a disturbing film.

Some Asian Horror movie suggestions... if you liked Ringu, you'll probably enjoy:

1. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
2. Shutter (2004)
3. Noroi: The Curse (2005)

These three films are really really good. Highly recommended.