Author Topic: C's and Indy to talk PG13 draft day (update pg 6) (Rumor)  (Read 17511 times)

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
https://twitter.com/ForeverGreen_/status/877700133764333568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Report: The #Celtics and Pacers are expected to engage in trade talks about Paul George tomorrow. Boston believes they can get him to stay.

Doesn't list a source, so take this as you will.

I knew this was plan all along.....

Or it's another smokescreen to drive up the price for the Lakers. Lol

Re: C's and Indy to talk PG13 draft day (update pg 6) (Rumor)
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2017, 10:26:43 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm gonna tweet something random and see how long it takes to get picked up 🤔
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

Yeah, not sure we should be changing the title yet until we learn what the actual source was.

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3010
  • On To Banner 18!
FYI, they got that information from The Vertical Live Stream.

May have some truth in terms of obviously having preliminary talks and exploring.

Ainge and CBS have to talk to George at some point.

HERE: https://twitter.com/ForeverGreen_/status/877700636501917697
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2017, 10:28:12 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

The source was Woj's Facebook Live stream re: "What is the Future of Paul George?"

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2017, 10:31:50 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
This is a hard place for the Celtics to be in... if they can talk to George before the draft and get assurance from that he stays, I'm okay giving up the number 3 for him - but if that doesn't happen, there is no way we trade the number 3 pick for potentially one year of George.

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
https://twitter.com/ForeverGreen_/status/877700133764333568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Report: The #Celtics and Pacers are expected to engage in trade talks about Paul George tomorrow. Boston believes they can get him to stay.

I knew this was plan all along.....

Or it's another smokescreen to drive up the price for the Lakers. Lol

Honestly either way is fine by me.  Lakers getting Pg for 27, 28 and randle would be horrible. We are protecting our own asset here too.

« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2017, 10:42:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186

I heard on ESPN that somebody was going to tweet something random!

« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2017, 10:51:27 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I heard on ESPN that somebody was going to tweet something random!

I'm one Chris Broussard's "sauces"
2021 Houston Rockets

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

This whole LA thing has made me kinda dislike george but I have to imagine we could get him to stay and I know we could beat the Lakers offer.

Why dislike George because of that?

I don't think he's done anything wrong by simply stating where his ultimate preference would be.  I mean he hasn't actually gone out and tried to force a trade to the Lakers, or said "I won't re-sign with any team except the Lakers", or anything like that.

All he's said is that of all the teams out there, if he had a choice, Lakers would be his top preference.  Doesn't mean that he wouldn't stay and re-sign with any number of other teams if he ended up there.

I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions without all the evidence - most people seem to ASSUME that Paul George is not open to re-signing with anybody but the Lakers, but he hasn't said that.  All he's said is that if he could choose any team to go to, the Lakers would be top preference.   

If he gets traded to a great place with a great team, great fans and great culture, great coach, great group of players - and goes on to find himself in the NBA finals battling for a championship - then I'd be pretty surprised if he were to leave all that in order to go to a lottery bound Lakers team in the middle of a rebuild.  George is what, 28 years old now?  He's only just getting in to his prime.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

This whole LA thing has made me kinda dislike george but I have to imagine we could get him to stay and I know we could beat the Lakers offer.

I don't think he's done anything wrong by simply stating where his ultimate preference would be.  I mean he hasn't actually gone out and tried to force a trade to the Lakers, or said "I won't re-sign with any team except the Lakers", or anything like that.

All he's said is that of all the teams out there, if he had a choice, Lakers would be his top preference.  Doesn't mean that he wouldn't stay and re-sign with any number of other teams if he ended up there.

I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions without all the evidence - most people seem to ASSUME that Paul George is not open to re-signing with anybody but the Lakers, but he hasn't said that.  All he's said is that if he could choose any team to go to, the Lakers would be top preference.   If he gets traded to a great place with a great team, great fans and great culture, great coach, great group of players - and goes on to find himself in the NBA finals battling for a championship - then he might find it very hard to leave all that and go to a lottery bound Lakers team.

Woj and Stein have reported that his agent is telling teams EXACTLY that.
2021 Houston Rockets

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions without all the evidence - most people seem to ASSUME that Paul George is not open to re-signing with anybody but the Lakers, but he hasn't said that.  All he's said is that if he could choose any team to go to, the Lakers would be top preference.   If he gets traded to a great place with a great team, great fans and great culture, great coach, great group of players - and goes on to find himself in the NBA finals battling for a championship - then he might find it very hard to leave all that and go to a lottery bound Lakers team.

Woj and Stein have reported that his agent is telling teams EXACTLY that.

Where have they said this?  I've been keeping a very close eye on Woj's twitter page, and I've seen plenty of updates on George - haven't seen any that say this. 

Unless he's mentioned it verbally on one of his livecasts?

If so, then I would personally walk away from that entirely and focus all my energy on trying to get both Butler and Porzingis.  As far as I'm concerned Butler and George are basically 1A and 1B among currently available players, so I'd much rather make a safe play for Butler rather then take a massive gamble on George.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:12:06 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
The C's could actually Trade for Porzingas and George---then sign Hayward.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Yeah, they could make it work.  I have been suggesting the same for Butler. 

The way I see it, we could do the following:

1. Offer the #3 pick ($4.5m), A.Bradley ($8.3m), J.Young ($1.8m), D. Jackson ($1.4m) to the Bulls for J.Butler ($17.5m). 

This would have us taking back $1.5m extra in salary, which temporarily leaves us without the cap space to sign a max FA potentially. 

2. Offer 2018 Lakers 1st (from Philly), 2018 Celtics 1st, J.Crowder ($6.2m) to the Knicks for Porzingis ($4.3m). 

This would have us giving away $1.9m extra in salary, so we would now have max salary cap space again.

3. Sign Gordon Hayward.

These three moves would leave us with the following:

PG: I.Thomas / T.Rozier
SG: J.Butler / M. Smart
SF: G.Hayward / J.Brown
PF: K.Porzingis
C: A.Horford / A.Zizic

Now we just need to use exception and/or vet min deals to fill in the rest of the roster (I would be ok with bringing in Sully as backup PF) and we'd be set for years to come...and we wouldn't have to give up the 2018 Brooklyn pick either. 

Throw George in there instead of Butler and it works out just as nicely.  Worst case we just throw Mickey in there as well to absorb George's extra salary.

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2017, 11:40:58 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

Yeah, they could make it work.  I have been suggesting the same for Butler. 

The way I see it, we could do the following:

1. Offer the #3 pick ($4.5m), A.Bradley ($8.3m), J.Young ($1.8m), D. Jackson ($1.4m) to the Bulls for J.Butler ($17.5m). 

This would have us taking back $1.5m extra in salary, which temporarily leaves us without the cap space to sign a max FA potentially. 

2. Offer 2018 Lakers 1st (from Philly), 2018 Celtics 1st, J.Crowder ($6.2m) to the Knicks for Porzingis ($4.3m). 

This would have us giving away $1.9m extra in salary, so we would now have max salary cap space again.

3. Sign Gordon Hayward.

These three moves would leave us with the following:

PG: I.Thomas / T.Rozier
SG: J.Butler / M. Smart
SF: G.Hayward / J.Brown
PF: K.Porzingis
C: A.Horford / A.Zizic

Now we just need to use exception and/or vet min deals to fill in the rest of the roster (I would be ok with bringing in Sully as backup PF) and we'd be set for years to come...and we wouldn't have to give up the 2018 Brooklyn pick either.

Make the trades-DELAYED...sign Hayward, announce the trades as official.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.