Author Topic: 2021 Historical Draft: How Does My Team Look?  (Read 64612 times)

Re: 2021 Historical Draft: How Does My Team Look?
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2020, 11:38:15 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The Sacramento Kings!!!
PG: Tim Hardaway Sr.
SG: Joe Dumars
SF: Alex English
PF: Cliff Robinson
C: Moses Malone

Ooh wee, that is a strong team!

I had not realized how strong a team this was until it was put together like this. Strong well balanced team.

I thought Timmy Hardaway was a big get for you in the 4th round. I was shocked he lasted that long. He was a heck of a player. I absolutely love that Timmy & Joe D backcourt. That is phenomenal. Those two would work together so well it is scary.

I thought the Cliffy pick was early but I see why you did it. He really is a very nice fit on that lineup. Defensive quickness & length combined with transition & perimeter based offense. Those are great qualities to add to this group.

Seriously, I said "ooh wee" out loud when I saw this team. That must be the first time in god knows how many years I said that. It's been so long I had forgotten if they were real words / phrase or just a strange noise. I googled it to find out.

This is a super-fun & very strong basketball team.

I absolutely love the backcourt.

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Sacramento Kings!!!

I had not realized how strong a team this was until it was put together like this. Strong well balanced team.

I thought Timmy Hardaway was a big get for you in the 4th round. I was shocked he lasted that long. He was a heck of a player. I absolutely love that Timmy & Joe D backcourt. That is phenomenal. Those two would work together so well it is scary.

I thought the Cliffy pick was early but I see why you did it. He really is a very nice fit on that lineup. Defensive quickness & length combined with transition & perimeter based offense. Those are great qualities to add to this group.

Seriously, I said "ooh wee" out loud when I saw this team. That must be the first time in god knows how many years I said that. It's been so long I had forgotten if they were real words / phrase or just a strange noise. I googled it to find out.

First, TP to Who for his audible “ooh wee”.

Second, I agree completely.  I loved the Moses pick, but the rest of this team snuck up on me.  Really great roster construction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
The Sacramento Kings!!!

Second, I agree completely.  I loved the Moses pick, but the rest of this team snuck up on me.  Really great roster construction.
First, thanks for the kind words.

Second, I agree that the Cliff pick may have been a bit early. I was looking for a more specialized pick that could space the floor for me and defender at a high level, and those don't exact grow on trees at the PF spot. Reached a bit for fit. Using hindsight, I probably could have grabbed a great 6th man instead, and waited on Cliff until the next round.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2020, 10:31:57 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The Sacramento Kings!!!

Second, I agree that the Cliff pick may have been a bit early. I was looking for a more specialized pick that could space the floor for me and defender at a high level, and those don't exact grow on trees at the PF spot. Reached a bit for fit. Using hindsight, I probably could have grabbed a great 6th man instead, and waited on Cliff until the next round.
Just thought there was a modern big forward who could defend at a considerably higher level while being a more dynamic off-ball player in general (not an indictment on Cliff, but he was more of a top 30-40 guy rather than a top 20-30 player, Cliff would be a great backup rather than a starter in this format imo). Btw I've warmed up to your team offensively, I don't quite think that it is elite but it's certainly strong. Just have some concerns defensively with your PG and SF being average defenders when your frontcourt isn't amazing on defence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2020, 01:47:32 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
The Sacramento Kings!!!

Just thought there was a modern big forward who could defend at a considerably higher level while being a more dynamic off-ball player in general (not an indictment on Cliff, but he was more of a top 30-40 guy rather than a top 20-30 player, Cliff would be a great backup rather than a starter in this format imo). Btw I've warmed up to your team offensively, I don't quite think that it is elite but it's certainly strong. Just have some concerns defensively with your PG and SF being average defenders when your frontcourt isn't amazing on defence.
That's fair. I fell in love with Cliff's unique skillset, so I reached a bit to get him. I'll probably go for more defense in my bench picks to shore up some of my weaker positions.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Chicago Bulls
G: Mark Price
G: Drazen Petrovic
F: Julius Erving
F: Shawn Kemp, Larry Nance
C: Vlade Divac, Jermaine O'Neal

I am happy with the versatility of the big man rotation. I got 4 guys who can all play alongside one another. Vlade gives me a high post facilitator / glue guy. Kemp gives me a power PF or a small ball C. Jermaine gives me a defensive C. Nance gives me an all-round glue guy at PF.

I believe that big man versatility will allow me to matchup against any type of big man combination in the league / team style of play. So very happy with that.

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2020, 11:51:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Phoenix Suns post trade:

PG: Tony Parker
SG: Clyde Drexler
SF: Danny Granger
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo
C: DeAndre Jordan

Sixth Man: Devin Booker

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Chicago Bulls

I am happy with the versatility of the big man rotation. I got 4 guys who can all play alongside one another. Vlade gives me a high post facilitator / glue guy. Kemp gives me a power PF or a small ball C. Jermaine gives me a defensive C. Nance gives me an all-round glue guy at PF.

I believe that big man versatility will allow me to matchup against any type of big man combination in the league / team style of play. So very happy with that.

Was unsure of how I felt about this team until today. I love that you grabbed Vlade and Jermaine. Very strong big man rotation that can play many different styles. Great facilitator and floor spacer in Price, all around superstar at the 3 with Dr J, and a great knock down shooter at the 2 with Petrovic. Big fan of this team. Would like to see some 3 and D guys round out the bench.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2020, 11:54:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Chicago Bulls

I hate picking right behind you Who. I think this is the second draft that I have and you absolutely KILL ME by taking my guy right in front of me. You've done it twice so far

I really like your team. It's one of the best, especially after your double center picks today that I think better balance the team as a whole.

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
Phoenix Suns post trade:

I loved the trade for you. Giannis gets an elite second scorer in Clyde, and you probably got the steal of the draft in Parker. I'd like to see you pick up a stretch big to help space the floor for Giannis (like Milwaukee does with Brook Lopez) but this is shaping up to be a really good squad.

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2020, 11:56:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Through 7 Rounds here are the Raptors

Guards - Tiny Archibald 73
Wings - Predrag "Peja" Stojakovic 04, Chet Walker 67, Kiki Vandeweghe 87
Bigs - Karl Malone 97, Ben Wallace 04, Spencer Haywood 73

I really like how this team is shaping up.  Love the fit and overall talent.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2020, 12:03:56 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Updated Wizards:

PG: John Stockton
SG: Klay Thompson/Michael Redd
SF: Gerald Wallace
PF: Dennis Rodman
C: Arvydas Sabonis/Bam Adebayo

I was happy to add some extra defense to my starting lineup and not have to play Redd out of position.

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2020, 12:05:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Phoenix Suns post trade:

I love your team 1 through 4. The starters and Booker are awesome. I have a tough time with DeAndre Jordan though especially next to Giannis.

I loved the trade for you. Giannis gets an elite second scorer in Clyde, and you probably got the steal of the draft in Parker. I'd like to see you pick up a stretch big to help space the floor for Giannis (like Milwaukee does with Brook Lopez) but this is shaping up to be a really good squad.

Yeah, I'm the same boat. I'd go with a floor spacing center and slide DeAndre to the bench.

I hate picking right behind you Who. I think this is the second draft that I have and you absolutely KILL ME by taking my guy right in front of me. You've done it twice so far

Oh me too! I am terrified every time you pick before me.

I've been lucky so far. It hasn't happened yet but I live in fear every time you pick before me. Well not so much now but earlier in the draft. Especially that 2nd round one. I was 100% sure you were taking Mark Price!

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2020, 12:22:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Through 7 Rounds here are the Raptors

Guards - Tiny Archibald 73
Wings - Predrag "Peja" Stojakovic 04, Chet Walker 67, Kiki Vandeweghe 87
Bigs - Karl Malone 97, Ben Wallace 04, Spencer Haywood 73

I really like how this team is shaping up.  Love the fit and overall talent.

I loved the Chet Walker draft pick. I had him high on my draft board. Somewhere around 7th among SFs. I thought he'd be a 3rd-4th round pick. That was a great pickup.

I am unsure of playing the 3 SFs together though. I thought a true SG would have served you better.

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2020, 12:46:12 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I know that Clyde was the best player in the draft, but I am able to improve my bench depth dramatically by makin the deal, and for me Reggie fits my team really well as his ability to shoot the 3 really spreads open the floor for Gervin to offense.

I am not sure there are many players drafted that will be able to guard Gervin when team is able to space the floot around him. Mookie shot 7 threes a game at 37%, Reggie is one of the best shooters in nba history, Connie consistantly hit what would be the current day baseline 3pt line and Ibaka making 36% of his threes on good volume.

Off the bench right now I have a 2 man game of Lowry and Laimbeer (the original floor spacing bigman) and that is offset by the freakish ability of George McGinnis.

Mookie/Lowry
Miller
Gervin/McGinnis
Hawkins
Ibaka/Laimbeer
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic