Author Topic: Ray Rice  (Read 70465 times)

Re: Ray Rice
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

And lest we not forget the Celtics own Jared Sullinger, who had the good fortune of not being caught on tape, but seemingly did at least as much if not more than Ray Rice.

Care to walk us through this one? 
I'm with you on that.  I was under the impression Sully's issue was restraining his girlfriend, not popping her like Rice did.  If I missed some info somewhere, I apologize, but based on my understanding Sully's situation was not as brutal as Rice's.

The NBA is also a lot more focused on humoring the race-baiters than the social scandal PCers.  Goodell has been far more heavy-handed on the entire spectrum of both....That's why the two-game suspension of Rice was so bizarre coming from him.

« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

And lest we not forget the Celtics own Jared Sullinger, who had the good fortune of not being caught on tape, but seemingly did at least as much if not more than Ray Rice.

I'm with you on that.  I was under the impression Sully's issue was restraining his girlfriend, not popping her like Rice did.  If I missed some info somewhere, I apologize, but based on my understanding Sully's situation was not as brutal as Rice's.

One might see parallels between Janay Rice standing by her man and Sullinger's girlfriend asking for the charges to be dropped even though she initially claimed that she waited until he had left on a flight and was out of state before calling police and showing them marks left on her body.

If it were a non-Celtic, there would probably be some people speculating that he paid her to clam up and plead the fifth.

Does level of brutality matter, though?  One concern about domestic violence is recidivism.  Maybe it wasn't brutal now, but it could be in the future.  Should the punishment for a DUI be less because the driver didn't crash or hurt anyone or should there be a willingness to crack down hard because of the potential harm in future incidents?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2014, 03:54:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

The NBA is also a lot more focused on humoring the race-baiters than the social scandal PCers.  Goodell has been far more heavy-handed on the entire spectrum of both....That's why the two-game suspension of Rice was so bizarre coming from him.

Who are the race-baiters and who are the social scandal PCers?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

One might see parallels between Janay Rice standing by her man and Sullinger's girlfriend asking for the charges to be dropped even though she initially claimed that she waited until he had left on a flight and was out of state before calling police and showing them marks left on her body.

If it were a non-Celtic, there would probably be some people speculating that he paid her to clam up and plead the fifth.

Does level of brutality matter, though?  One concern about domestic violence is recidivism.  Maybe it wasn't brutal now, but it could be in the future.  Should the punishment for a DUI be less because the driver didn't crash or hurt anyone or should there be a willingness to crack down hard because of the potential harm in future incidents?

I think most states crack down on DUIs enough already.  Thank God not through experience....But the number of hoops a DUI convicted person have to jump through and the financial costs of such hoops are astounding.  After seeing that...I sure as hell would never risk it. 

I think that the brutality mattered in this case to Goodell only because he thought it would affect the brand.  It obviously didn't matter after he saw the video....Because he did the two game suspension after seeing everything.  There is absolutely no way he didn't see the video until last week.

« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I think most states crack down on DUIs enough already.  Thank God not through experience....But the number of hoops a DUI convicted person have to jump through and the financial costs of such hoops are astounding.  After seeing that...I sure as hell would never risk it. 

I think that the brutality mattered in this case to Goodell only because he thought it would affect the brand.  It obviously didn't matter after he saw the video....Because he did the two game suspension after seeing everything.  There is absolutely no way he didn't see the video until last week.

Whether you agree they should or not, the NFL suspends players for DUIs.  Should the suspension be the same if the player is simply pulled over by cops and given a sobriety tests compared to if that player is involved in a crash which leads to horrific pictures of mangled vehicles that make you shocked that no one was injured?

« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2014, 04:11:50 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Who are the race-baiters and who are the social scandal PCers?

Well, to start where Silver is concerned...The race baiters are the righteous indignant players and Rivers who threatened to "boycott"....Not to mention the pathetic faux hero earvin johnson...These are the same guys in the same league who embrace overt vile racists as jz, spike lee and lil wayne as owner and front row seat season ticket holders.  The same Rivers and players who had as their guest race hustler and career race baiter the fake reverend jackson sit in the front row of their first home game after the Sterling incident. 

Even though there was a semantic miscue in Sterling's interview with anderson al-cooper...I found what Sterling said about earvin far more true than what earvin said about Sterling.

« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Jared Sullinger essentially rag dolled his significant other around their bedroom.  Got on top of her multiple times, forcibly kept her down while she was trying to get away and injured her enough that over 10 hours later when the cops were called she still had very visible marks all over her chest.  Now granted he didn't slap her across the face, but he easily could have knocked her out when he was tossing her off the bed on to the floor or forcibly keeping her on the ground beneath him.  I mean just imagine what that would have looked like if there was video of it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Whether you agree they should or not, the NFL suspends players for DUIs.  Should the suspension be the same if the player is simply pulled over by cops and given a sobriety tests compared to if that player is involved in a crash which leads to horrific pictures of mangled vehicles that make you shocked that no one was injured?

I think the NFL is handling that appropriately the way they're handling it now.

« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2014, 04:47:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Well, to start where Silver is concerned...The race baiters are the righteous indignant players and Rivers who threatened to "boycott"....Not to mention the pathetic faux hero earvin johnson...These are the same guys in the same league who embrace overt vile racists as jz, spike lee and lil wayne as owner and front row seat season ticket holders.  The same Rivers and players who had as their guest race hustler and career race baiter the fake reverend jackson sit in the front row of their first home game after the Sterling incident. 

Even though there was a semantic miscue in Sterling's interview with anderson al-cooper...I found what Sterling said about earvin far more true than what earvin said about Sterling.

At the risk of getting this thread locked, I guess I should point out that the term "race hustler" tends to be coded racist language used as a pejorative by (ironically) the very sorts of people who most fit the description of a "race hustler", using the proverbial dog whistle to further a racist agenda.

« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Jared Sullinger essentially rag dolled his significant other around their bedroom.  Got on top of her multiple times, forcibly kept her down while she was trying to get away and injured her enough that over 10 hours later when the cops were called she still had very visible marks all over her chest.  Now granted he didn't slap her across the face, but he easily could have knocked her out when he was tossing her off the bed on to the floor or forcibly keeping her on the ground beneath him.  I mean just imagine what that would have looked like if there was video of it.

I don't want to get into diminishing varying forms of abuse, because it's gross, but characterizing what Sullinger was accused of as "rag dolling" (was she comatose? temporarily transformed into a Call of Duty physics model?) and what Rice did as "slapping across the face" requires a pretty willfully skewed comparison of the two events. 

I do fully agree that, assuming the initial police report was accurate, Sullinger is lucky that the events weren't caught on videotape, or things would've gone much worse for him.  The only things that would've saved him from the kind of punishment Rice is getting now is that he's nowhere near as famous, and NBA contracts have much stronger protections than NFL.

(Jason Kidd peeks around corner, breathes sigh of relief, darts back into the shadows of Milwaukee)

« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2014, 04:48:31 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
The harsh truth is, there are no victims in this world. Rice's wife made hundreds of individual decisions to stay with him prior to that incident. The "victims stance" is endemic to our culture, as anyone can pick it up and ward off all responsibility for anything. Rice got the consequences of his actions, the rest is between him and his wife..

« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Well Rice's situation was not as brutal as Rice's UNTIL the video surfaced.

These men and to a large extent the women they abuse always 'regret' it after the fact and try to sanitize the incident from outright brutality that you see on the video to a push and shove that seems sterile. I would not be surprised if he or his lawyers claimed that he pushed her and she slipped, and not that he caught her with a left hook that knocked her out cold.

So until the Sully video shows up, it will always be less brutal than the Sully incident.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:19:56 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2014, 04:54:28 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
few thoughts:

1. rice is a cowardly scumbag
2. the nfl and ravens dropped the ball and had an opportunity to make a statement long before this. unfortunately the statement they made is negative
3. i usually cant stand tmz, but i am glad they released this video.  while i dont think they are completely honorably, as i believe the timing of the release shows they want people talking about them.  so i appreciate their releasing the video and shedding light on this story, but still dont like their agenda/motive
4. rice's wife/fiance.....i feel bad for her.  aside from the physical harm rice did to her (and likely has done previously, and maybe after the incident), i feel bad that she is emotionally damaged and captive to this monster.  however, it is beyond frustrating when victims of these situations minimize, make exucses, "stand by their man", and ultimately enable these types of acts.  i feel bad that her self-esteem is so damaged she does not possess the courage and dignity to stand up for herself.
5. i hate the cycle of domestic violence. 
6. more boys need their fathers in their life to teach them respect for themselves and how to treat females. values within the homes in america are not actively taught or modeled to children, as more and more families are "broken".  the gov't is forced to pass these teaching expectations to other support systems (schools, social workers, etc). 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:03:50 PM by dark_lord »

« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The harsh truth is, there are no victims in this world. Rice's wife made hundreds of individual decisions to stay with him prior to that incident. The "victims stance" is endemic to our culture, as anyone can pick it up and ward off all responsibility for anything. Rice got the consequences of his actions, the rest is between him and his wife..

Does that mean you hold her responsible for being punched in the face?

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2014, 05:06:22 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
What were we saying about the pats again?

"I think everyone that witnessed that video yesterday has to be outraged and really disgusted to see someone associated with us doing something like that us," Kraft said. "Anyone who is a real man doesn't hit a woman."

http://deadspin.com/the-trouble-with-floyd-mayweather-1605217498/1632578678/+kylenw

i don't put a lot of stock into anything kraft or the patriots say, they are the ultimate spin-masters, they have the local media and fans cowed. which i guess is just a microcosm of the whole NFL. good sport, but a greedy, arrogant league.