Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 62859 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2019, 05:06:35 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
To do what BKN (or any good drafting team) did, IMO they need to part ways with Chris Wallace first.

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2019, 06:31:17 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
The problem with using the 2019 picks, the Celtics own, on an Anthony Davis trade is the Celts can't trade for Davis until after the draft.

So the Celts would still have to pick the players.
The question is would the Celts be picking for New Orleans?

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2019, 06:50:05 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Unpopular opinion, but AD trade is just a pipe dream IMO
Water cooler talk

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2019, 06:52:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Water cooler talk
I get that angle, but I think there’s far too much smoke for there to not be a fire
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2019, 06:52:38 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Fun water cooler talk

I disagree. The Celtics need to be determined and creative, but they have the assets to pull it off. I'm certain that the Pelicans will have no other way than to trade Davis this summer. They've missed their chances to build around him.

« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2019, 06:59:16 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
If AD will not sign a max extension with the Pels then AD to the Celts will not be a pipe dream anymore.

The Celts have the best assets available.

If the 2019 Memphis doesn't convey this year then it becomes more valuable.

A combination of picks and young players, that's what the Pels would want.

« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2019, 07:23:30 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
We pushed them to 6th worst

It took me about 30 tries on tankathon for this to convey to Celtics

Meaning we are where we want it to be.. It will roll over if they can stay this bad or worse
I think I'd rather have it convey this year.  Makes it a better pick to use in a trade for Davis (agree before draft, make trade when new year starts) and there are no guarantees of where it will eventually end up.  Sure it might end up #1 in 2021 or it could end up in the teens in 2020 or 2021.  Just too much unpredictability in those type of things.

I'm not sure that's true. I guess it depends on how the Pelicans view it but if I were the Pelicans looking to rebuild, I'm seeing that the protections on the pick go down more next year and then go away the year after, I'm seeing a Western conference that is still stacked, Gasol and Conley are another year older. I think it becomes a more valuable asset if it rolls over a season.
I think they trade Gasol and Conley though and get assets for them.  The Kings elevated pretty quickly without any super high picks, just by having a volume of young players and cap space.  The Nets, without any top tier draft picks, went from the worst teams in the league to above .500 and the current 6th seed in the East very quickly, just by acquiring a volume of young players and drafting well (from the end of the 1st round).  If the Grizzlies trade Gasol at the deadline this year and move on from Conley next summer, there is a pretty decent chance that the pick to Boston that conveys in 2021 won't be a very high pick.  Certainty is often far more important to value then uncertainty.

It took the Nets a while after the Pierce KG trade as we were netting top picks from them for a few years.

The Kings turned it around rather quickly but they did draft 2 top 5 picks Fox and Bagley as part of their core as well as having the return of the Cousins trade.  Gasol might be leaving in free agency in which case they get nothing back in a trade.  They could get solid pieces back for Conley, but it could be more draft picks, than ready now players.  Plus the west is loaded.  We’ll see.

« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The problem with using the 2019 picks, the Celtics own, on an Anthony Davis trade is the Celts can't trade for Davis until after the draft.

Of course they would.

« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2019, 08:44:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Of course they would.

Yeah, it happens all the time. It’s not a binding trade, but front offices know better than to back out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2019, 09:06:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
We pushed them to 6th worst

It took me about 30 tries on tankathon for this to convey to Celtics

Meaning we are where we want it to be.. It will roll over if they can stay this bad or worse
I think I'd rather have it convey this year.  Makes it a better pick to use in a trade for Davis (agree before draft, make trade when new year starts) and there are no guarantees of where it will eventually end up.  Sure it might end up #1 in 2021 or it could end up in the teens in 2020 or 2021.  Just too much unpredictability in those type of things.

I'm not sure that's true. I guess it depends on how the Pelicans view it but if I were the Pelicans looking to rebuild, I'm seeing that the protections on the pick go down more next year and then go away the year after, I'm seeing a Western conference that is still stacked, Gasol and Conley are another year older. I think it becomes a more valuable asset if it rolls over a season.
I think they trade Gasol and Conley though and get assets for them.  The Kings elevated pretty quickly without any super high picks, just by having a volume of young players and cap space.  The Nets, without any top tier draft picks, went from the worst teams in the league to above .500 and the current 6th seed in the East very quickly, just by acquiring a volume of young players and drafting well (from the end of the 1st round).  If the Grizzlies trade Gasol at the deadline this year and move on from Conley next summer, there is a pretty decent chance that the pick to Boston that conveys in 2021 won't be a very high pick.  Certainty is often far more important to value then uncertainty.

It took the Nets a while after the Pierce KG trade as we were netting top picks from them for a few years.

The Kings turned it around rather quickly but they did draft 2 top 5 picks Fox and Bagley as part of their core as well as having the return of the Cousins trade.  Gasol might be leaving in free agency in which case they get nothing back in a trade.  They could get solid pieces back for Conley, but it could be more draft picks, than ready now players.  Plus the west is loaded.  We’ll see.
I said they would trade Gasol at the deadline.  They then trade Conley either at the deadline or in the summer.  Probably get at least a couple of 1st's in those trades as well as some potential young players.  They would likely get a top 5 pick with their own pick the next 2 seasons, use cap space to pick up more picks, etc. and can turn it around much like the Kings did. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2019, 07:54:16 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Down 15 with 3 minutes left against an AD-less Pelicans. Let Okafor drop 20/10.

Gasol checked out mid-way through last season. Dude looks completely out of it now as well. Need to get him out of there. Conley has been good the entire year.

« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2019, 08:36:44 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
The 2019 Memphis pick becomes more valuable with every Memphis loss this season.

Good for the Celts.

« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2019, 08:43:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The 2019 Memphis pick becomes more valuable with every Memphis loss this season.

Good for the Celts.

Eh, it's not so cut and dry.

First, the pick is top 8 protected.  So if you're hoping for the pick to convey this season, there's a fine line between losing and too much losing.

But if you think it's better the pick gets pushed back, then sure, you want Memphis to lose as many games as possible.

« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2019, 09:28:58 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Good for the Celts.

First, the pick is top 8 protected.  So if you're hoping for the pick to convey this season, there's a fine line between losing and too much losing.

But if you think it's better the pick gets pushed back, then sure, you want Memphis to lose as many games as possible.

I don't want the pick this year.

A 2021 unprotected pick is the best case scenario.

« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2019, 09:44:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Good for the Celts.

I don't want the pick this year.

A 2021 unprotected pick is the best case scenario.

Maybe...

Or by then the team has turned it around and we end up with a non-lottery pick.