Author Topic: *** The Bash Rondo Thread ***  (Read 18576 times)

Re: *** The Bash Rondo Thread ***
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Why are we bashing the best PG in the world or anyone for that matter? Dumb thread.

Who's bashing Chris Paul?

I think his reputation must have taken a hit when you explained to everyone that he doesn't step up in the playoffs as much as Rondo does.

« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
we SHOULD bash a guy who :
plays passing lanes
seems to pad stats, once bragged he could average a triple double
seems to take games off, once shot left handed for an entire game (off hand)
calls out teammates through the press both tv and papers
not an easy teammate to have, expects the best from everyone
hot shot passes that sometimes lead to turnovers

i could go on
 8)

anyone?
Leave Larry Bird out of this.  Leave Rondo out of this, too.  Both great players!   ;)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Why are we bashing the best PG in the world or anyone for that matter? Dumb thread.

I think his reputation must have taken a hit when you explained to everyone that he doesn't step up in the playoffs as much as Rondo does.

Was that when you correctly explained to me that Chris Paul has actually outperformed Rondo in both the regular season and postseason over the course of their careers in pretty much any individual metric? (Win Shares, PER, TS%, eFG%, PTS, AST, FG%).  I'm glad I listened.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:02:46 PM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Was that when you correctly explained to me that Chris Paul has actually outperformed Rondo in both the regular season and postseason over the course of their careers in pretty much any individual metric? (Win Shares, PER, TS%, eFG%, PTS, AST, FG%).  I'm glad I listened.

Those metrics are probably accurate, but I don't think you heard that from me. So, no changes with those listening skills.

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2013, 08:07:58 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
plays passing lanes

i could go on
 8)

anyone?
Leave Larry Bird out of this.  Leave Rondo out of this, too.  Both great players!   ;)

Tommy point for knowing.  Silly people that was Larry bird.  I am pretty sure a group here would find issues with his game as well.  How dare he shoot with his opposite hand or get bored so try to make the prettiest pass.
Sadly threads like this make celtics blog pretty unimportant, boring and sad.
Officially taking a break from reading trash but tp to thirsty boots for recognizing a few Larry traits

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
plays passing lanes

i could go on
 8)

anyone?

Tommy point for knowing.  Silly people that was Larry bird.  I am pretty sure a group here would find issues with his game as well.  How dare he shoot with his opposite hand or get bored so try to make the prettiest pass.
Officially taking a break from reading trash but tp to thirsty boots for recognizing a few Larry traits

I understand your point, although I think some folks would disagree with the degree to which Larry did those things versus Rondo. 

Also, I think you misunderstood Larry regarding stats-patting.  He said he *could* average a triple-double, if he cared about stats.  Instead, he did what was necessary to win.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
plays passing lanes

i could go on
 8)

anyone?

I understand your point, although I think some folks would disagree with the degree to which Larry did those things versus Rondo. 

Also, I think you misunderstood Larry regarding stats-patting.  He said he *could* average a triple-double, if he cared about stats.  Instead, he did what was necessary to win.
Larry was not above stat padding...or history padding.  Winning the three point contests was not during games, but egging McHale to go for 50 points was, and so was his doing it a week later.  I don't believe stats are more important to Rondo than winning.  If that were true, I doubt if KG (someone who should know) would be so fond of him.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2013, 09:44:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
plays passing lanes

i could go on
 8)

anyone?

We also know that Rondo's capable of scoring more and playing a bigger role in the offense than he has in the past but he (like the others) subjugated his game for the good of the team. That wasn't exactly done in order to lose games.

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2013, 12:17:55 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
The whole, "Rondo is dribbling the air out of the ball and its all his fault" bellyaching is just ridiculous in my opinion.

Rondo is a runner with a team that doesn't want to run. He's running a system his coach approves of. He's playing with players that for long periods of time don't move off the ball.

He can't help it if his team mates have trouble getting open, have trouble performing the plays, are too old or unathletic to run a fast break with him or he's just doing what his coach wants him to do.

And he can't help it if a whole bunch of teams run a modified zone against the Celtics because they see what I see: no off the ball movement, a lack of inside out basketball, no fast break basketball, no low post options, and no regular, consistent three point shooters to be afraid of.

People really need to stop reading uninformed bloggers complaining of Rondo's dribbling too much and pay attention to what is happening on the court. Stop repeating stuff that you read and watch a few games like an opposing coach and see what is happening.

Sorry for the attitude but I'm getting a little sick of people spouting this BS off and not actually realizing what is happening on the court.

You deserve my first ever LOL! With an exclamation mark no less.  Good job sir.  Why is the ball movement better without Rondo, can you tell me that?  If it's everyone else's fault but Rondo's for the terrible ball movement, why is it better when he's not on the court? Or maybe you don't think so.

I keep hearing about how well the offense flows without Rondo, I think it looks fairly disjointed. Any ideas on why that great ball movement leads to fewer assists and a lower efg%?

Come on. The offense was awesome Sunday without Rondo. They scored 100 points...........in 58 minutes

« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:59 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
The whole, "Rondo is dribbling the air out of the ball and its all his fault" bellyaching is just ridiculous in my opinion.

Rondo is a runner with a team that doesn't want to run. He's running a system his coach approves of. He's playing with players that for long periods of time don't move off the ball.

He can't help it if his team mates have trouble getting open, have trouble performing the plays, are too old or unathletic to run a fast break with him or he's just doing what his coach wants him to do.

And he can't help it if a whole bunch of teams run a modified zone against the Celtics because they see what I see: no off the ball movement, a lack of inside out basketball, no fast break basketball, no low post options, and no regular, consistent three point shooters to be afraid of.

People really need to stop reading uninformed bloggers complaining of Rondo's dribbling too much and pay attention to what is happening on the court. Stop repeating stuff that you read and watch a few games like an opposing coach and see what is happening.

Sorry for the attitude but I'm getting a little sick of people spouting this BS off and not actually realizing what is happening on the court.

You deserve my first ever LOL! With an exclamation mark no less.  Good job sir.  Why is the ball movement better without Rondo, can you tell me that?  If it's everyone else's fault but Rondo's for the terrible ball movement, why is it better when he's not on the court? Or maybe you don't think so.

I keep hearing about how well the offense flows without Rondo, I think it looks fairly disjointed. Any ideas on why that great ball movement leads to fewer assists and a lower efg%?

Come on. The offense was awesome Sunday without Rondo. They scored 100 points...........in 58 minutes

Sigh. The goal of our offense shouldn't be to score, it should be to keep the ball out of Rondo's hands.

Re: The Critique Rondo Thread
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2013, 08:35:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Why did the title of the thread change? Wasn't there enough Rondo bashing going on?

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2013, 08:40:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Why did the title of the thread change? Wasn't there enough Rondo bashing going on?

"Bash" sounds vindictive and non-constructive. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2013, 08:40:46 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

The word "bash" was probably too harsh.

« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

"Bash" sounds vindictive and non-constructive.

I'll refrain from "critiquing" some of the posts in response to this...

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
So is the main argument that we will be better on both ends now that Rondo's out?  That's completely false.

I can see it defensively, but not offensively.  If the argument is that Rondo holds the ball too much, can someone explain to me how he ends game with an average of 11 assists?  Maybe we ought to fault the role players for not hitting shots they are supposed to hit (Bass and Lee, specifically)?  Maybe we need to fault our sub-par rebounding for Rondo not being able to get out in transition?