Author Topic: 1 game overreaction to the focus on brown?  (Read 2601 times)

Re: 1 game overreaction to the focus on brown?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 07:24:03 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I think the time off he had was really good for him. He started the season looking lost like he didn't understand what his role on offense was.  He began improving but he still looked frustrated and was forcing things.  He was hanging his head quite frequently.  I think that break may have helped him clear his head.  He looks more confident and is picking the right times to drive to the hoop and cut to the basket.

If he can continue being aggressive, driving and cutting, and knowing the right times to do so, he's going to make this offense play so much better.
One thing on O that i'm happy to see is he can manage to be aggressive at drives but is also able to read when there is no lane and can stop-pass out, so not much turn over and all his shot inside will be high percentage shot

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 08:35:39 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
There really isn't much to read into, other than the fact that the entire team is feeling more confident and playing with a true sense of purpose.  I believe Jaylen was somewhat relieved to see the team find it's groove while he was out of the lineup.  This allowed him to return without the mounting pressure of a disappointing start. 

Hayward accepting a role off the bench made it easier for Brown to accept it as well. Now they feel that it doesnt matter if they come off the bench, they can still shine there.

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 08:36:12 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I think the time off he had was really good for him. He started the season looking lost like he didn't understand what his role on offense was.  He began improving but he still looked frustrated and was forcing things.  He was hanging his head quite frequently.  I think that break may have helped him clear his head.  He looks more confident and is picking the right times to drive to the hoop and cut to the basket.

If he can continue being aggressive, driving and cutting, and knowing the right times to do so, he's going to make this offense play so much better.
One thing on O that i'm happy to see is he can manage to be aggressive at drives but is also able to read when there is no lane and can stop-pass out, so not much turn over and all his shot inside will be high percentage shot

He was not doing that well earlier in the season.  He would try to force drives when lanes weren't open and take jumpers when they were.  The last couple of games, he's been much better.  Getting those high percentage shots are both great for him and the team.  If he continues picking his spots well, not only will he be more efficient, it will open up high percentage shots for everyone else.

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 08:37:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The team isn’t showcasing Brown. Teams know what he can do.

The Celts are trying to get him going, which seems to be working.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 12:01:01 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
This team has so many options because it has so many good players. It was understandable that figuring out who could play together best was going to be the challenge. We've discovered that starting Brown and Tatum together along with Kyrie, Horford, and Hayward doesn't really work. For some reason, they just don't click.

Brown coming off the bench and leading his own unit along with Hayward doing the facilitating, has worked well for him.

Nobody ever said you can't become a star in the NBA coming off the bench. 

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
This team has so many options because it has so many good players. It was understandable that figuring out who could play together best was going to be the challenge. We've discovered that starting Brown and Tatum together along with Kyrie, Horford, and Hayward doesn't really work. For some reason, they just don't click.

Brown coming off the bench and leading his own unit along with Hayward doing the facilitating, has worked well for him.

It's very likely that other than Kyrie we probably won't have anyone else average 20ppg. What we will have is a lot of people in the 10-16 range. That's how many scorers we have. If you assume the following averages:

Kyrie 21
Tatum 16
Morris 14
Brown 13
Hayward 13
Horford 13
Rozier 10

That's 100 points from just 7 players, so Smart and the rest of the bench would contribute the remaining 10 to get us to our season average of 110. Individually you could look at those averages and say wow these guys have regressed from last year how come they're averaging less than Avery Bradley did his last year here?

It's because you have to feed everyone and that score distribution is what you want. We all know any of those players is capable of putting out a 25-point game when it's their night, and could possibly average 20 if they were the primary option with not a lot of other options on a team, but over the entire season they have to sacrifice (and put up with fans saying they suck because they're only averaging 12-14. Only way that changes is someone gets injured or we start averaging 125+  ;D

What should ideally happen though is that, if they are truly sharing the load, as their scoring averages go down their scoring efficiency and assists should go up. We can already see it with Kyrie, his ppg is down but his apg is up.

Totally agree. Unfortunately its trying to change a paradigm that has existed since the start of basketball that the best players start, and get the best contracts, and get the chance to get voted onto All Star and All-NBA teams. You'll get the likes of Charles Barkley saying "well I can't consider any of them All-Stars because All-Stars don't average 12-14ppg".  ::) Because very few teams have had the depth that we do right now, probably the only one I can remember in the recent past was San Antonio in 2014.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 01:40:15 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

The minutes distribution seems to be working as well.  It helps that Morris and Smart aren’t playing over 30 minutes so Brown and Hayward will have plenty of opportunities to really shine.  Even Rozier is having his moments in this new look lineup. 

Brown and Rozier seem to be playing real well off of Hayward’s playmaking.  Brown looks rejuvenated coming back from injury.

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Prior to the 2017-2018 season, a CB poll asked readers to predict which player would be the most polarizing. Jaylen Brown was the leading vote-getter. They were one year early with the prediction.  ;D