Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 553565 times)

Vermont Green, j804, celticsclay, scaryjerry, cdcd, Celtics2021 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #4905 on: April 15, 2024, 05:29:16 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 375
did milwaukee tank to avoid the 76ers? but instead they are facing the pacers who beat them every time this year?

milwaukee might be going down in the 1st round again.

really hoping we can avoid the sixers either all-together, or until a later round. they are the toughest team in the east IMO. but it seems Embiid is hurt again

« Reply #4906 on: April 15, 2024, 06:56:18 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
did milwaukee tank to avoid the 76ers? but instead they are facing the pacers who beat them every time this year?

milwaukee might be going down in the 1st round again.

really hoping we can avoid the sixers either all-together, or until a later round. they are the toughest team in the east IMO. but it seems Embiid is hurt again
My feeling is BOS - PHI ECF. hopefully Embiid is nice and worn down by then. 

« Reply #4907 on: April 15, 2024, 09:58:40 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Phoenix Suns guard Grayson Allen has agreed to a four-year, near $70 million contract extension through 2027-28, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium
. Allen has had a breakout first season in Phoenix, averaging 13.5 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3 assists, 49.9% from field, 46.1% from 3.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4908 on: April 15, 2024, 10:46:09 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Phoenix Suns guard Grayson Allen has agreed to a four-year, near $70 million contract extension through 2027-28, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium
. Allen has had a breakout first season in Phoenix, averaging 13.5 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3 assists, 49.9% from field, 46.1% from 3.

If my math is right, that is $17.5M average per year.  That seems fair.  His shooting has been very important for PHI.

« Reply #4909 on: April 15, 2024, 10:54:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
@TheAthletic

@Stadium

If my math is right, that is $17.5M average per year.  That seems fair.  His shooting has been very important for PHI.
so a lot more than Grant Williams and probably a fair amount less than White will get
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4910 on: April 15, 2024, 11:01:08 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 706
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Giannis is doubtful for Game 1 against the Pacers. His status remains up in the air per, @ShamsCharania

« Reply #4911 on: April 15, 2024, 11:19:23 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Giannis is doubtful for Game 1 against the Pacers. His status remains up in the air per, @ShamsCharania

If this is being tweeted about 5 days before the start of the playoffs then that's probably not a good sign for his status in the first round. Something to also consider, Durant dealt with a similar injury and then it became his Achilles in 2019 as soon as he came back. They better be careful about it, but I'm not sure they can especially if IND actually goes ahead 2-1 to start the series or something.

If I had to guess, they'll sit him the first two games. The NBA will probably also formulate a schedule where IND-MIL get 2 or even 3 days off between Games 1 and 2 or Games 2 and 3 to make sure he can return. Yes that's my slight conspiracy theory.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4912 on: April 15, 2024, 11:25:54 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

If this is being tweeted about 5 days before the start of the playoffs then that's probably not a good sign for his status in the first round. Something to also consider, Durant dealt with a similar injury and then it became his Achilles in 2019 as soon as he came back. They better be careful about it, but I'm not sure they can especially if IND actually goes ahead 2-1 to start the series or something.

If I had to guess, they'll sit him the first two games. The NBA will probably also formulate a schedule where IND-MIL get 2 or even 3 days off between Games 1 and 2 or Games 2 and 3 to make sure he can return. Yes that's my slight conspiracy theory.

For what it’s worst, almost all teams typically get two days between games one and two or two and three.  Not getting it is more of a conspiracy than getting it.

« Reply #4913 on: April 15, 2024, 11:55:04 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

For what it’s worst, almost all teams typically get two days between games one and two or two and three.  Not getting it is more of a conspiracy than getting it.

Sorry I meant more the "3 days off" thing. You're right. Two days off is pretty common. But like the situation where a team plays maybe Tuesday, and then their next game isn't until Saturday night. Something like that. Not every team or series gets that one though. Truth be told I hate those myself lol when the C's have them. Don't mind a few "two days off" between games in early rounds but the 3 days off are odd and can throw a team off as well.

« Reply #4914 on: April 15, 2024, 01:41:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
They should just play every other day. Could start playoffs a week ot two later doing that giving less need for back to back in season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4915 on: April 15, 2024, 01:51:42 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
They should just play every other day. Could start playoffs a week ot two later doing that giving less need for back to back in season.

It would be nice but that would require 4 games per day in the first round, until teams start to get eliminated.  They would have to broadcast like Football where each geographic region gets its own game.  Or I guess TBS could have one game and TNT another at the same time.  If you are a Celtics fan in the Mid-West, you might not be able to get all the Celtics playoff games without a league pass or something.

Once you are out of the first round though, no reason not to have two games every night with teams playing every other night, even when they have to travel.

« Reply #4916 on: April 15, 2024, 01:57:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
TV networks aren't paying billions of dollars to air regional NBA playoff day games. Can't imagine the league would want it either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4917 on: April 15, 2024, 02:01:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

It would be nice but that would require 4 games per day in the first round, until teams start to get eliminated.  They would have to broadcast like Football where each geographic region gets its own game.  Or I guess TBS could have one game and TNT another at the same time.  If you are a Celtics fan in the Mid-West, you might not be able to get all the Celtics playoff games without a league pass or something.

Once you are out of the first round though, no reason not to have two games every night with teams playing every other night, even when they have to travel.

Something else to consider is hockey playoffs are also going on and some cities will have both basketball and hockey teams in the playoffs. Many organizations have multi-purpose arenas that are booked for other events so that factors in. It's probably not as feasible as a result.

Usually the ECF or WCF though is actually every other day (maybe 1 exception mixed in) because by then in both sports the teams have dwindled down to just 4 total. Finals obviously is for marketing purposes and advertisements, etc.

« Reply #4918 on: April 15, 2024, 02:17:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2425
I thought Grayson Allen would have gotten $20-23mil per year in free agency this summer. I think he took less money to stay in Phoenix.

« Reply #4919 on: April 15, 2024, 02:30:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
The play-in teams and full schedule will obviously be determined in the coming days.

But this is how the Saturday and Sunday slates line up for Game 1 (times TBD).

Saturday, April 20
Game 1: Knicks vs. East No. 7, Time/TV TBD
Game 1: Cavaliers vs. Magic, Time/TV TBD
Game 1: Nuggets vs. West No. 7, Time/TV TBD
Game 1: Timberwolves vs. Suns, Time/TV TBD

Sunday, April 21
Game 1: Celtics vs. East No. 8, Time/TV TBD
Game 1: Bucks vs. Pacers, Time/TV TBD
Game 1: Thunder vs. West No. 8, Time/TV TBD
Game 1: Clippers vs. Mavericks, Time/TV TBD

Celtics are very likely the 3 PM or 3:30 PM, hopefully that's not ABC/primetime but idk