Author Topic: Josh Smith trade rumors  (Read 6718 times)

Re: Hawks say no to Josh Smith max extension in meeting w/his reps
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
what can the nets offer for Smith? Humphries, Brooks, and picks?

Maybe wallace to?

Yea, I guess giving up Wallace could make sense. We are out of the running in any case.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
what can the nets offer for Smith? Humphries, Brooks, and picks?

Maybe wallace to?

Yea, I guess giving up Wallace could make sense. We are out of the running in any case.
They might be able to bring in a 3rd team, like say San An and do something like this:

SA - Wallace
BK - Smith
AT - Jackson, Brooks, Blatche, two 1sts from BK

Not a bad trade for any of the teams, but Atlanta could probably do better for Smith if they just opened it up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 10:39:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Given how bad Gerald Wallace has looked I don't see how they can include him in a trade to Atlanta. I just don't see the incentive on their end. That's a lot of salary for what would be two lower first round picks.

I don't see what team would be eager to take that on in a three team deal either.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 11:34:39 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The type of team that should consider renting out cap space to take on Wallace's contract for two late first round picks is a rebuilding team that is unlikely to be a playoff team for a few years.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 11:55:33 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Given how bad Gerald Wallace has looked I don't see how they can include him in a trade to Atlanta. I just don't see the incentive on their end. That's a lot of salary for what would be two lower first round picks.

I don't see what team would be eager to take that on in a three team deal either.

I don't see anyone wanting Gerald Wallace's contract.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: Josh Smith trade rumors
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

The Spurs "are among the teams with interest" in Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawks GM Danny Ferry was previously working with the Spurs, but it sounds like the Spurs are just eyeing the situation rather than actively pursuing Smith. It would be unlike San Antonio to pursue a blockbuster midseason, especially with the team rolling, and the Spurs are unlikely to have interest in paying Smith in free agency after the season.
Related: Spurs

Source: Yahoo! Sports Feb 12 - 12:34 PM

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

The Spurs "are among the teams with interest" in Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawks GM Danny Ferry was previously working with the Spurs, but it sounds like the Spurs are just eyeing the situation rather than actively pursuing Smith. It would be unlike San Antonio to pursue a blockbuster midseason, especially with the team rolling, and the Spurs are unlikely to have interest in paying Smith in free agency after the season.

I don't think San Antonio pulls the trigger unless Josh Smith tells them he'd be willing to sign a contract extension for less than the max.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I don't think San Antonio pulls the trigger unless Josh Smith tells them he'd be willing to sign a contract extension for less than the max.
If it is just Jackson's contract and some young non-rotation players and a draft pick or two, I don't see why San An wouldn't make that trade even without any assurances from Smith.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 01:19:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

If it is just Jackson's contract and some young non-rotation players and a draft pick or two, I don't see why San An wouldn't make that trade even without any assurances from Smith.

I think it would cost them Tiago Splitter.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Right but why would ATL trade Smith for Jackson and Splitter, who they'd need to pay this summer? Not much value.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Right but why would ATL trade Smith for Jackson and Splitter, who they'd need to pay this summer? Not much value.
What is wrong with paying talented players?

They seem to want a young center to go alongside Al Horford. Tiago Splitter is as good as they are going to get for Josh Smith given the situation (expiring deal, high contract demands).

Splitter isn't likely to receive a huge bid this summer. Keeping him shouldn't be a problem.

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

They seem to want a young center to go alongside Al Horford. Tiago Splitter is as good as they are going to get for Josh Smith given the situation (expiring deal, high contract demands).

Splitter isn't likely to receive a huge bid this summer. Keeping him shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah but SAS isn't going to give Splitter up for an expiring deal like Smith especially when they would also have to give up Jackson (to make the dollars work).  Doesn't make sense from SAS standpoint to include Splitter.  Now maybe if they also got Pachulia or Korver so they could at least replace one of the positions they might be more interested.

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah but SAS isn't going to give Splitter up for an expiring deal like Smith especially when they would also have to give up Jackson (to make the dollars work).  Doesn't make sense from SAS standpoint to include Splitter.  Now maybe if they also got Pachulia or Korver so they could at least replace one of the positions they might be more interested.

Huh?  Splitter is more than likely walking this summer anyways.  Splitter is as much a rental as Smith is. 

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Splitter is more than likely walking this summer anyways.  Splitter is as much a rental as Smith is.

Splitter is a restricted free agent.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Splitter is more than likely walking this summer anyways.  Splitter is as much a rental as Smith is.

Splitter is a restricted free agent.

I expect San Antonio to keep hold of Splitter this summer. I don't think anyone makes a large enough offer for San Antonio to give up on him.

They will be looking to Splitter for an increased role in future years as Duncan continues to age and eventually leaves. Plus, he is their 2nd best big man currently. They need to keep Splitter to compete.

They can afford to pay him. Parker is on an affordable deal. So is Duncan. I think Ginobili's contract expires as soon. He'll either leave or stay on a more cost effective deal. San Antonio can afford to keep Splitter.

I would be very surprised to see Splitter leave San Antonio this summer.