Author Topic: Is Jaylen Brown still a Celtic?  (Read 18891 times)

Re: Is Jaylen Brown still a Celtic?
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Before tonight Jaylen was 8th on the team in touches. Could be a reason he has struggled after being a #2 option last year.
This is what I've been saying and why I don't like Brown starting.  He is a better player when he has the ball more and he just isn't going to have many nights where he is getting the ball a lot in the starting unit.

It's a bit counter-intuitive, considering Brown is probably our 6-7 best playmaker (not a knock on him), but it makes sense.

For example, I think Brown could be every bit as good as Wiggins offensively with a higher usage rate. But I also think that Wiggins would struggle in Jaylen's role.

Horford may be good with picking his spots, but that comes with experience and IQ. Brown may just need more reps.

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Before tonight Jaylen was 8th on the team in touches. Could be a reason he has struggled after being a #2 option last year.
This is what I've been saying and why I don't like Brown starting.  He is a better player when he has the ball more and he just isn't going to have many nights where he is getting the ball a lot in the starting unit.

It's a bit counter-intuitive, considering Brown is probably our 6-7 best playmaker (not a knock on him), but it makes sense.

For example, I think Brown could be every bit as good as Wiggins offensively with a higher usage rate. But I also think that Wiggins would struggle in Jaylen's role.

Horford may be good with picking his spots, but that comes with experience and IQ. Brown may just need more reps.
I don't see Brown similar to Horford at all.  Horford has always been very good at picking his spots and has never needed the ball to get his.  He obviously has gotten better with experience, but I just don't think Brown is that type of game.  Brown has always been at his best when he gets lots of touches with a higher usage.  Some players just need the ball to really be successful and that seems like Brown's game to me.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2018, 09:43:32 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
We need Jaylen to be good so we can package him, Rob Williams, Rozier, sac pick and fillers for A. Davis.. 😀

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I don't see Brown similar to Horford at all.  Horford has always been very good at picking his spots and has never needed the ball to get his.  He obviously has gotten better with experience, but I just don't think Brown is that type of game.  Brown has always been at his best when he gets lots of touches with a higher usage.  Some players just need the ball to really be successful and that seems like Brown's game to me.

Jaylen is not playing at the level he did last year, but I’m not ready to say I know the ceiling for this just-turned-22 year old player five games into the season. He may find his way on offense - last night he was a big plus. I think the issue is he wants to grow his playmaking ability, which would come with growing pains in any offense. I’m hopeful he and the team will figure it out and we will be that much more lethal.

Let’s not forget that his defense remains a huge asset for this team. How many 2-guards can defend Blake Griffin effectively? Pretty sure he draws Durant if we play GSW, and he can switch onto Steph Curry or Klay and still cover very very well.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:04:45 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
Deleted double-post.

« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2018, 10:31:51 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Good to see him knocking down shots last night.

With this team, he should be watching film on JJ Redick, Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton. Jaylen is more athletic and more purely talented than any of them but with his lack of skill as a playmaker and the presence of so many other playmakers on the team, I think Jaylen would find a lot of success becoming a master cutter off the ball.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

With this team, he should be watching film on JJ Redick, Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton. Jaylen is more athletic and more purely talented than any of them but with his lack of skill as a playmaker and the presence of so many other playmakers on the team, I think Jaylen would find a lot of success becoming a master cutter off the ball.
That's hard to do when so many of Stevens offensive sets have Jaylen sitting in the corner waiting for a kick out three pointer. Watch Stevens sets. He usually has two players sitting in each corner. There just isn't a lot of running around off picks looking to lose your man and cut to the basket looking for a pass. The offense usually revolves around looking to take it to the basket and kick it out to the three point line then move it around the three point line looking for the open shot and if the shot isn't there, drive and kick out again and look for the open shot.

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yes he is.

He reminded us of this last night.

Just gotta stay the course with this team...it is all coming together.

« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2018, 11:34:46 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Thwe touches and shots thing is a bit of a chicken and an egg scenario. Maybe he struggled because he didn't get touches, or maybe he took less shots and was played less minutes because he was struggling. I tend to believe it was the latter. Typically when Brown starts off 0-3 or 0-4 quickly he takes 8 or nine shots a game. When he starts 2/3 or 3/3 he gets more like 13-14. Personally I think he is just fine in an off ball role. Great cutter, great in transition, great spot up shooter and kills mismatches is pretty much what you want in that role. That being said I wouldnt mind him getting some more ball handling chances. There was a play last night where he had the ball at the three point line, dribbled past his man and got all the way to the rim. Missed the lay up but still, he has some ability to create and we could use someone who can get to the rim and get fouls.

Bottom line is Jaylen will be fine, has had a rough start but I see no reason to change anything yet.

« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2018, 11:39:26 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

That's hard to do when so many of Stevens offensive sets have Jaylen sitting in the corner waiting for a kick out three pointer. Watch Stevens sets. He usually has two players sitting in each corner. There just isn't a lot of running around off picks looking to lose your man and cut to the basket looking for a pass. The offense usually revolves around looking to take it to the basket and kick it out to the three point line then move it around the three point line looking for the open shot and if the shot isn't there, drive and kick out again and look for the open shot.

There is some of that, for sure. But on this team any of the starters can be that man in the corner. Literally any of them. And Jaylen can be involved in the primary action.

Last night, Brad set up something like a three-man weave after the ball came over halfcourt, with the PG, the center, and a swing/wing involved at the top of the key. Sets with Tatum, Rosier, and Theis - a pick, a handoff option, and second pick/handoff option, then a drive and kick option. Jaylen can be in that mix. There are often two-man games above the break off to one side, with another two- or three-man action off the ball. Sometimes Jaylen is fed in the post - and there are definitely guards he can get very good shots off from the post. I think there are a lot of ways to use him as more than a sniper. I also think he needs to get at least a few shots each game in the open floor on a fastbreak. He can be better finishing but he's already pretty good.

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Jayen plays much better when the pace of the game is quick up and down basketball. When he gets in the open court attacking the rim he's at his best. His defense even gets better.

When the game slows, he kind of gets lost and he begins looking lost because he hasn't quite yet figured it out in a deliberate halfcourt game.

This entire team plays better at a fast pace where the bench comes more and more into play. The way this team is constructed, with the depth we have...fast pace basketball may be the key.   

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2018, 12:12:19 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Jaylen functions best in the half court when the ball is moving and he takes hand-offs around the top of the key. He turns the corner and once he has his shoulder partially past a defender he is very good.

He isn't very good at squaring up defenders and beating them off the dribble, and he often gets ignored in the corner. He's very big and very fast for a two-guard and he could score a lot more on cuts, but we don't have the passers. I see him open on cuts a lot and they don't get him the ball.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned was just how spectacular the defense was on Blake Griffin last night. Morris was great too, but Jaylen just destroyed Griffin when he covered him straight up.

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jaylen functions best in the half court when the ball is moving and he takes hand-offs around the top of the key. He turns the corner and once he has his shoulder partially past a defender he is very good.

He isn't very good at squaring up defenders and beating them off the dribble, and he often gets ignored in the corner. He's very big and very fast for a two-guard and he could score a lot more on cuts, but we don't have the passers. I see him open on cuts a lot and they don't get him the ball.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned was just how spectacular the defense was on Blake Griffin last night. Morris was great too, but Jaylen just destroyed Griffin when he covered him straight up.
I could easily see Jaylen being 1st team All-Defense this year.

« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Jaylen Brown says his sore right foot is "sort of like a plantar (fascia)" injury. He says the pain began to surface about a week ago. He's questionable for tonight.

https://twitter.com/marc_damico/status/1058030034521337857?s=21

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2018, 12:34:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jaylen Brown says his sore right foot is "sort of like a plantar (fascia)" injury. He says the pain began to surface about a week ago. He's questionable for tonight.

https://twitter.com/marc_damico/status/1058030034521337857?s=21

Just give him the night off.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team