Author Topic: 2017-18 NBA Season  (Read 199911 times)

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season
« Reply #420 on: November 10, 2017, 07:06:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
For me, the biggest mystery for us, is why we still play Nader and I am astounded when he comes off the bench ahead of other guys.   This has stopped somewhat recently.

Opponents have a 115.0 ORtg when Nader is in the game.  .566   eFG%, too.

Opponents have  97.1  ORtg and  .469 eFG% when Nader is  off the the court.

To place this is context we have a  -17.0 ORtg with him in the game and +12.3 ORtg with him out.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/naderab01/on-off/2018

I get the guy worked off his tail in the D league.   But those minutes need to be given to Semi so he can develop more.  6.9 more mpg to Semi.  I was not kidding when I called him "Lead-Killer" earlier in the season.

I think some of this could be fixed.   He leans over too much at the waist on D and therefore is off balance most of the time.   He should bend his knees more and waist less.

« Reply #421 on: November 10, 2017, 08:52:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Don’t know why you’re concerned about Nader’s PT.  He played a lot of minutes in the Bucks game, the day after we lost Hayward, and were just experimenting.  He played a lot of minutes in a 27 point blowout vs SAC.  He’s gotten 5 DNPs and most of his other minutes have been garbage time.  They tried to give him a few minutes vs. Atlanta since it was the second night of a back to back, and that didn’t work, but he really doesn’t play much at all in competitive games, once we got past those first couple games when Hayward and then also Smart were out.

« Reply #422 on: November 10, 2017, 10:22:40 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
If someone told me in September that going in to the second week of November that the Pistons, Knicks, Philly, Pacers, and Magic were all in playoff spots, and the Celts were on an 11-game winning streak atop the conference leaning heavily on 4 rookies....
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #423 on: November 10, 2017, 10:23:56 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Spurs game on tnt. Not many fans in arena

« Reply #424 on: November 10, 2017, 10:39:48 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
This season is interesting so far. Everybody expected a yawn until playoffs.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #425 on: November 10, 2017, 10:44:10 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130

This is the most fun start to the season in recent memory for me because it's been so unpredictable. Lots of teams winning unexpectedly, and the Cavs looking entirely mortal. I'm sure team records will start to regress to the mean by Christmas, but for now I'm absolutely loving it.

« Reply #426 on: November 10, 2017, 10:47:54 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177

This is the most fun start to the season in recent memory for me because it's been so unpredictable. Lots of teams winning unexpectedly, and the Cavs looking entirely mortal. I'm sure team records will start to regress to the mean by Christmas, but for now I'm absolutely loving it.

Me too! I've never been as engaged in watching how other teams are doing. Watching the C's, always. The Lakers (and the Nets) because of the picks. The Cavs because of Crowder and Thomas.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #427 on: November 11, 2017, 02:46:30 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
After nets win tonight,

the Nets, Cavs, lakers all have the same record 5-7. Lol

« Reply #428 on: November 11, 2017, 03:38:03 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
and the East is net +3 vs the West so far.

« Reply #429 on: November 11, 2017, 10:19:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Don’t know why you’re concerned about Nader’s PT.  He played a lot of minutes in the Bucks game, the day after we lost Hayward, and were just experimenting.  He played a lot of minutes in a 27 point blowout vs SAC.  He’s gotten 5 DNPs and most of his other minutes have been garbage time.  They tried to give him a few minutes vs. Atlanta since it was the second night of a back to back, and that didn’t work, but he really doesn’t play much at all in competitive games, once we got past those first couple games when Hayward and then also Smart were out.

Because we are a decidedly worse team with him on the floor and as we lose players to injury, it's important to notice and take head of little things because they will matter at some point this season.

I agree its a minor thing but the stats I posted are pretty [dang]ing.

« Reply #430 on: November 11, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Because we are a decidedly worse team with him on the floor and as we lose players to injury, it's important to notice and take head of little things because they will matter at some point this season.

I agree its a minor thing but the stats I posted are pretty [dang]ing.

I get he’s not good.  I was saying that last year during his D-League success.  I’m just not going to be concerned about a rookie late 2nd-round pick who only gets minutes when there are multiple injuries or it’s garbage time.  If Nader ever matters it’s because so many other things have gone wrong.  We won’t lose a game because of Nader — we’ll lose because 4 players were injured.  Same is true of every teams’ 13-15th players.

My only complaint was that they signed him to a small amount of guaranteed money next year.  He should not be around for 2018-2019.

« Reply #431 on: November 11, 2017, 11:01:53 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Donovan Mitchell is really good. Jazz got themselves a steal in the kid.

« Reply #432 on: November 12, 2017, 01:33:49 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Donovan Mitchell is really good. Jazz got themselves a steal in the kid.

Its a pity that outside of him, they're probably the dullest NBA team to watch that has been assembled in the last decade.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #433 on: November 12, 2017, 08:28:51 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
What is your general perception of Carmelo Anthony as a player for his entire carer?
I am having a constant argument with my brother about this topic and I would really like an outside opinion or a general perception of things.

My case is that obviously he's a remarkable offensive talent...and that's pretty much it. Plays below average defense, and makes nobody around him better to say at least. Now there are more than a couple of evidences to confirm that. I remember him going down, and Linsanity era started, with the Knicks winning like 10 straight games, he comes back, they are back in the .500 area.
The latest case is him leaving the Knicks and joining the OKC. The Knicks with only one really talented player and a bunch of scrubs have a 7-5 record, while a loaded OKC(5-7) squad is struggling to win games and lose to teams like the Kings.
Of course it is still a very young season, but the fact that Melo makes his teams worst is something that I was convinced of ever since he got traded to the Knicks.

Is he a future HOF(as my brother claims)?
What has he really done to deserve this honor, outside of scoring a bunch of points and making the All Star team, and okay, winning medals with the Team USA.

IMHO he is the most overrated player of all time
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #434 on: November 12, 2017, 09:43:02 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
What is your general perception of Carmelo Anthony as a player for his entire carer?
I am having a constant argument with my brother about this topic and I would really like an outside opinion or a general perception of things.

My case is that obviously he's a remarkable offensive talent...and that's pretty much it. Plays below average defense, and makes nobody around him better to say at least. Now there are more than a couple of evidences to confirm that. I remember him going down, and Linsanity era started, with the Knicks winning like 10 straight games, he comes back, they are back in the .500 area.
The latest case is him leaving the Knicks and joining the OKC. The Knicks with only one really talented player and a bunch of scrubs have a 7-5 record, while a loaded OKC(5-7) squad is struggling to win games and lose to teams like the Kings.
Of course it is still a very young season, but the fact that Melo makes his teams worst is something that I was convinced of ever since he got traded to the Knicks.

Is he a future HOF(as my brother claims)?
What has he really done to deserve this honor, outside of scoring a bunch of points and making the All Star team, and okay, winning medals with the Team USA.

IMHO he is the most overrated player of all time
The scoring averages and totals will make him a Hall of Famer.  He deserves it based on the numbers.  But you are absolutely right that he makes teams worse and is selfish and lazy.  I'm certain he will still make the Hall of Fame though.