Author Topic: The "Asset" conundrum  (Read 356 times)

The "Asset" conundrum
« on: July 02, 2015, 12:05:04 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Danny is famous (or infamous depending on how u look at it) at accumulating assets.  Ever since the KG deal, he has publicly flaunted, err, stated his strategy.  It's nothing new or unique to us.  But with a team that seems so in flux and unbalanced u can't help but wonder....

1.  How truly valuable the assets are worth - (seemingly not as valuable as we, or Danny thought)
2.  What message it sends to players, particularly free agents

Clearly it's a business, everyone, including the players understand that.  But maybe free agents are hesitant in becoming another "asset" or another piece to getting a "bigger fish".

Plus what star, or second tier type free agent wants to come to such an unbalanced team that doesn't seem to have any direction?  They won't even grant Danny a meeting.  They're probably thinking the same as us....What is going on with the Celtics? 

Please excuse me as I get this off my chest!

Re: The "Asset" conundrum
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 12:10:24 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A few things

(1) Having too many assets can lead to them withering on the vine.  There are diminishing returns when you're trying to develop and integrate young players.

(2) Having a lot of assets, especially lower quality assets, tends to make other teams think they ought to be able to get a bulk price out of you for them.  It's a very well-displayed lack of leverage that you have in negotiations.

(3) As you are collecting assets, even if some of them are pretty decent in the here and now and help you win games, because you're just focused on increasing total value of your asset stash, your team never really resembles a team.  You're not building something so much as you're stockpiling for the right opportunity.  So you're not as far along in the rebuild as your win total might suggest.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain