Author Topic: Ten Thoughts From Game 1  (Read 21527 times)

Re: Ten Thoughts From Game 1
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 11:42:43 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
.9 is the only one I’m cautious on. It may take the guy all season and/or never to return to himself. Hopefully he’s back in a month or two but he has a long ways to go. Looked like he was running in cement.

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 11:43:36 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Regarding Brown, I don't necessarily want to trade him but I do think he needs to adopt a different mindset for this team to be at its best with him in the starting lineup. 

Last season, he was near the top of the league in percentage of touches that end in a shot.  That was pardonable when he was the de facto star in the playoffs, but he doesn't need to be that selfish on offense now.  Take your open threes, attack closeouts, and be a monster in transition.  I don't need to see these plays where he goes iso on a set defender unless he's playing with the second unit.  We just have better ways to create offense than that.

And that's okay.  Not everybody can be a star.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 11:44:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Disagree with 7. Brown didn't finish well tonight but with his usual finishing, he probably puts up 20 tonight. Brown will be a two way star. He has to stay and be used properly.
But you’re only half addressing the point.  I think someone is going to get lost amid all these A players.  I happen to think that guy will be Brown.
I think they will all find their role and on different nights, the leading scorer and star will be different and on many, many nights that star is Brown.

Brown missed several lay ups/offensive rebounds/makeable shots. He could easily have gone for 20+ tonight and if he did I am sure you aren't calling to trade him.
I’m not those makeable misses.  As I recall, he was swallowed up inside several times and he’s never really been known for his touch around the rim anyway.

As far as calling to trade him, that’s not really the premise of my thread last week.  I more was pointing to a guy that might be replaced by another guy to make us better (theoretically).  For instance, I think the Celtics would be better right now with someone like reddick versus brown.

Reddick over Brown? Really? Reddick is 34, Brown is 21
Thats not the point.  I think reddick would be a better fit in this team and make us better right now.
Ugh, no way at all. Marginally better shooter than Brown, better off ball movement, but his defence and absolute lack of versatility would be terrible for us
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 11:47:45 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Disagree with 7. Brown didn't finish well tonight but with his usual finishing, he probably puts up 20 tonight. Brown will be a two way star. He has to stay and be used properly.
But you’re only half addressing the point.  I think someone is going to get lost amid all these A players.  I happen to think that guy will be Brown.
I think they will all find their role and on different nights, the leading scorer and star will be different and on many, many nights that star is Brown.

Brown missed several lay ups/offensive rebounds/makeable shots. He could easily have gone for 20+ tonight and if he did I am sure you aren't calling to trade him.
I’m not those makeable misses.  As I recall, he was swallowed up inside several times and he’s never really been known for his touch around the rim anyway.

As far as calling to trade him, that’s not really the premise of my thread last week.  I more was pointing to a guy that might be replaced by another guy to make us better (theoretically).  For instance, I think the Celtics would be better right now with someone like reddick versus brown.

Thats not the point.  I think reddick would be a better fit in this team and make us better right now.
Ugh, no way at all. Marginally better shooter than Brown, better off ball movement, but his defence and absolute lack of versatility would be terrible for us
Thats fine.  I’m referring to fit, and someone that can cause havoc without having the ball in his hands.  Of course brown is a better defender and more versatile but we have that in spades anyway.  One less versatile guy isn’t going to kill this team.

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 11:53:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Thats fine.  I’m referring to fit, and someone that can cause havoc without having the ball in his hands.  Of course brown is a better defender and more versatile but we have that in spades anyway.  One less versatile guy isn’t going to kill this team.
I think you're underestimating how important Brown is to our perimeter defence. He's our best guy to defend the Thompson's, DeRozan's, Middleton's and other tall guard/wings of the league. Almost all the elite teams in the league have a player like that, and Redick routinely gets crushed by them. Would kill us over a series

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 11:57:03 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

I think you're underestimating how important Brown is to our perimeter defence. He's our best guy to defend the Thompson's, DeRozan's, Middleton's and other tall guard/wings of the league. Almost all the elite teams in the league have a player like that, and Redick routinely gets crushed by them. Would kill us over a series
Perhaps.  But is brown going to accept the defensive stopper role that is a fifth or sixth option on offense?  That’s part of the point.

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 12:02:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Perhaps.  But is brown going to accept the defensive stopper role that is a fifth or sixth option on offense?  That’s part of the point.
We can't tell, but I don't necessarily think he'll be a 5th or 6th option offensively long term at all. I think the #3 or #4 guy, depending on how much Hayward turns into what is effectively the wing version of Horford, is much more likely. Just because he's a defensive stopper doesn't mean he can't get 12-15 FGA's

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 12:22:16 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Number 6 is what I’ll focus on.

I think this season is going to be where Brad goes from the wunderkid to legit best coach in the league (and I know Pop is still coaching).

The biggest knock on this team is they have too much talent. I’m sure he won’t get the respect as far as CotY next June, but if he successfully manages the minutes and overall talent here, he is definitely the best.

There is so much talent and egos that he has to navigate around. Tonight he made the decision to go with Rozier over Kyrie late (which seemed to his surprise, but he looked disappointed in himself more than mad at Brad). I feel like we will see plenty of different rotations and stars getting benched for reserves outplaying them on a particular night.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 12:29:09 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

We can't tell, but I don't necessarily think he'll be a 5th or 6th option offensively long term at all. I think the #3 or #4 guy, depending on how much Hayward turns into what is effectively the wing version of Horford, is much more likely. Just because he's a defensive stopper doesn't mean he can't get 12-15 FGA's
Yeah, that’s where we differ.  I think Hayward will be fine.  And I don’t think jaylen will ever be as good as peak Hayward.  His feel for the game is just so far below average, even for his age.  I don’t think it will ever be average.

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 12:32:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brown scored 30+ points twice in the playoffs last year. There will be about 10 games or more that he will be undoubtedably the best player on the court. Thinking of trading him with two cost controlled years on his contract is crazy talk.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 12:32:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah, that’s where we differ.  I think Hayward will be fine.  And I don’t think jaylen will ever be as good as peak Hayward.  His feel for the game is just so far below average, even for his age.  I don’t think it will ever be average.
Fair. I agree with the first half of that. I don’t think he’ll ever exceed peak Hayward, and I believe he can return to that peak.

It’s all academic if we trade Brown for Davis ;)

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 12:47:06 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
If you look at the minutes Stevens really played everyone evenly and enough for them all to be happy.   The guys that didnt play probably shouldnt. Maybe Semi might grow frustrasted but someone will get hurt.

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 12:51:43 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Brown is 6.7 shooting guard who ia stronger than everyone in his position can jump higher than everyone in his position.. can defend anyone fron 1 to 5, can block embiid, has a nice  shot,has work ethic, is improving every year.... and yes he makes some mistakes... but is with tatum UNTRADEABLE

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 01:01:10 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

I have no idea where you're getting that notion from, particularly given that the Celtics are running the system that they are. 

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 01:13:25 AM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM

:o reddick over brown really? In order to make that work someone like Smart has to be shown the door to make the salaries fit in the cap.