Poll

Tatum + Memphis pick for JJJ. Would you do it?

Yes
8 (15.7%)
No
32 (62.7%)
I'd only do it straight up. Offering Tatum on his own should get it done.
11 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Idea: Jaren Jackson Jr.  (Read 8826 times)

Idea: Jaren Jackson Jr.
« on: July 21, 2019, 07:50:40 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We started discussing about this in another thread yesterday. I'm curious to see what you guys think about it, hence I added the poll. 

Right now, we have no legit PF in terms of size.

Tatum is 6' 8"
Hayward is 6' 8"
G. Williams is 6' 7"
Theis is 6' 8"
Semi is 6' 7"
R. Williams has the size but he ain't a PF.

What we've done the last couple of years, is start Tatum out of position. Not an ideal situation, that's for sure.

Would you guys consider a trade around Tatum and Jaren Jackson Jr?

- Legit size at the PF position. Imo, he'd be an ideal fit next to the rest of our starters.
- Amazing young talent (in all honesty, I'd take him over Tatum)
- One extra year on a team friendly contact

Smartacus made an interesting point as well:
Maybe Memphis bites because they convince themselves that Tatum might be the star player in the league most likely to re-sign in Memphis since he's got such ties to St Louis.

Problem is, the Grizzlies have zero incentive to trade JJJ. I bet they would ask for their pick back as well. In this case, would you guys do Tatum + Memphis pick for JJJ?

For what it's worth, here's an article from the Grizzlies blog on SBNation. The author makes a list of 8 players he'd be willing to trade JJJ for. Tatum is one of them.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2018/12/4/18125309/trading-jaren-jackson-jr-nba-memphis-grizzlies-nba

( the article is from December 4, 2018)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:57:15 AM by Jvalin »

Re: Idea: Jaren Jackson Jr.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 07:59:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd do it. It hurts. But I'd do it.

Guys with JJJ's size, defensive talent (future all-league defender) and offensive skill-level (inside-outside game, 20+ppg talent) are so rare and super valuable.

I'd love to have him here.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:38:44 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I don't think that would be enough for Memphis. Honestly, we'd probably have to throw in Brown for them to even consider it

They have absolutely no reason to move on from JJJ right now, unless it was a huge overpay
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:48:57 AM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I picked , No.

For me you move other assets for a PF. You won't get a JJJ level prospect but I feel there should be someone out there that would fit.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 09:18:31 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think our assets might be a little suppressed after the season we just had.  I want to see how this team performs until the trade deadline in a drama free zone before I consider any big moves that include Tatum, Brown, or Hayward. Gives us more time to see if Tatum or Brown can make another leap, and how far Hayward recovers.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I personally would. He'll be 19 until a month out from the season, and he showed real promise on both ends. However I don't think Memphis would. JJJ is younger and more cost-controlled than Tatum.

We'd have to throw in more I think
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 10:37:48 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Here is a quick list of young bigs that have shown something but aren't established superstars. I've put them in order of what I think their value would be to us:

Jackson MEM
Siakam TOR
Collins ATL

Carter CHI
Turner IND

Gordon ORL
Sabonis IND
Bagley SAC

Allen BKN
Harrell LAC

Kuzma LAL

Isaac ORL
Collins POR
Cauley-Stein SAC

Jackson would be pretty obviously the most expensive player on this list to trade for, followed by Siakam and Collins (ATL). Those three are already pretty sure bets to be make some all-star teams. They are all excellent players but you will have to seriously overpay for them.

After that tier, I think Carter would be the best possible guy for us.  Gordon and Turner both have some flaws, but both are strong two way bigs that would really help us. All the other guys would help.

I can't see going for Jackson, but I could see a case for anyone from Carter through Harrell.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I like Jackson, too, and I’d consider a trade that involved Tatum, possibly including a first. One question and one issue.

The question:why do you consider him a PF rather than a 5? He’s listed at 6’11”, wingspan 7’4”, weight 243. Given his age and build I expect him to add a little weight/strength as he grows into his prime, and he’s not afraid of contact. While he has good foot speed for a center he’s only so-so next to a PF. To me, he’s a center.

The issue: Memphis just drafted Morant and Clarke, who fit well next to JJJ. Swap Tatum in for JJJ and I think they’re unbalanced. Net, I think this ship has sailed.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 11:28:02 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Memphis are building a nice young team..they wont trade Jackson..i like what they are doing
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 11:28:16 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Tatum is the one untouchable from what has been rumored. So no way would Boston trade him for JJJ.

Tatum is a big reason we got Kemba, and Kemba seems excited to want to play with him.

I think Boston is seeing how Hayward is, there was the talk of him getting slimmer and faster, don't know if it's because he gained weight over the year rehabbing, and want to get to his old playing weight, or if they are trying to move him to the SG spot. I wouldn't be worried on offense about him getting his shots off, but he'd have a hard time with the smaller guards of the league. And that would open up Brown in a trade for a bigger guy to play in between Tatum and Kanter.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 11:35:00 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like Jackson, too, and I’d consider a trade that involved Tatum, possibly including a first. One question and one issue.

The question:why do you consider him a PF rather than a 5? He’s listed at 6’11”, wingspan 7’4”, weight 243. Given his age and build I expect him to add a little weight/strength as he grows into his prime, and he’s not afraid of contact. While he has good foot speed for a center he’s only so-so next to a PF. To me, he’s a center.

The issue: Memphis just drafted Morant and Clarke, who fit well next to JJJ. Swap Tatum in for JJJ and I think they’re unbalanced. Net, I think this ship has sailed.

I can't imagine MEM considers Clarke on the same plane as Morant/JJJ; that's like assuming we couldn't trade for AD because we already have Grant Williams. Tatum and Morant would make a wonderful core moving forward just as JJJ and Morant will.

As for the deal, I'd probably hold off. I really like JJJ, but why are we assuming he is so much better or more valuable than a future premier wing scorer? If we could make the deal straight up, I'd probably do it just for the sake of balance, but we would have to massively overpay. The only way we are going to get a young-ish up and coming big man is if a team makes him available. Danny isn't going to put Tatum on the block, thus lowering his value. He would want Tatum to be the hot commodity.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 11:41:25 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't see Memphis doing this, considering they owe us what could end up being a pretty sweet pick.

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I can't imagine MEM considers Clarke on the same plane as Morant/JJJ; that's like assuming we couldn't trade for AD because we already have Grant Williams. Tatum and Morant would make a wonderful core moving forward just as JJJ and Morant will.

As for the deal, I'd probably hold off. I really like JJJ, but why are we assuming he is so much better or more valuable than a future premier wing scorer? If we could make the deal straight up, I'd probably do it just for the sake of balance, but we would have to massively overpay. The only way we are going to get a young-ish up and coming big man is if a team makes him available. Danny isn't going to put Tatum on the block, thus lowering his value. He would want Tatum to be the hot commodity.

I hope you’re right about Tatum. After last year I am a lot less optimistic than before.

Conversely I think you’re undervaluing Clarke. If he can shoot the 3, which I believe he will, and if you can play him next to a long 5, which Memphis can, he becomes a very nice 2-way player. People who say he can’t shoot because he didn’t attempt a lot of 3s in college are missing that he was a *very* accurate midrange shooter on good volume. His touch, BBIQ, and work ethic are also all well above average. You just need to put him in a lineup that addresses his lack of length, which Memphis can do while they have jackson.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 11:56:23 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
No thanks.  I want to see what we have  first once we give Tatum the 🔑 to the offense.  Kemba and Tatum together could be really special.

There’s no patience for developing our own players and a grass is greener mentality concerning other prospects.

The kid I’m interested  in if affordable would be mo  bamba.  An athletic defender who could possibly guard the likes of Giannis on the block.

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 12:30:52 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
No thanks.  I want to see what we have  first once we give Tatum the 🔑 to the offense.  Kemba and Tatum together could be really special.

There’s no patience for developing our own players and a grass is greener mentality concerning other prospects.

The kid I’m interested  in if affordable would be mo  bamba.  An athletic defender who could possibly guard the likes of Giannis on the block.
I agree with you other than the interest in Bamba.  This season should be focused on player development.  If we do trade someone it ought to be Brown not Tatum.