Author Topic: 2019-2020 GM Survey  (Read 3717 times)

2019-2020 GM Survey
« on: October 17, 2019, 12:57:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Results are out.

https://www.nba.com/gmsurvey/2019

-Celtics getting projected as 3rd best team in East.
- Tatum tied for 2nd for "breakout"
- CBS #2 for "in game adjustments" and tied for 3rd for defensive schemes

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: 2019-2020 GM Survey
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Not one GM has the Sixers winning the Finals, I'm okay with this world, though think they have a chance, definitely an intriguing squad.

If my math is right, about 3 GMs pick the Sixers to finish 3rd or 4th.  While 5 GMs have the C's finishing 2nd.

There's hope!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 01:55:47 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Not one GM has the Sixers winning the Finals, I'm okay with this world, though think they have a chance, definitely an intriguing squad.

If my math is right, about 3 GMs pick the Sixers to finish 3rd or 4th.  While 5 GMs have the C's finishing 2nd.

There's hope!
look at today's date and think back 15 years. there is always hope.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxSZJ9GZ-w
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 03:16:05 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

That's a big drop from last year though #1 and 53% last year, down to 17% this year.  That's like 10 GM's downgraded their opinion of Stevens.

Disappointed Smart didn't get any Defensive love, no votes for Best Defender, Best Perimeter Defender, or Most Versatile Defender, though did get 1 vote for Toughest.

Kevin Durant getting votes in a couple of categories despite not even expected to play next year.

Kind of wanted to see Kyrie get some votes for Best Leader, just to know some GMs have a sense of humor.  Kind of like when Isaiah got that 1 vote for All Defensive Team a few years ago.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 04:50:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

That's a big drop from last year though #1 and 53% last year, down to 17% this year.  That's like 10 GM's downgraded their opinion of Stevens.

Disappointed Smart didn't get any Defensive love, no votes for Best Defender, Best Perimeter Defender, or Most Versatile Defender, though did get 1 vote for Toughest.

Kevin Durant getting votes in a couple of categories despite not even expected to play next year.

Kind of wanted to see Kyrie get some votes for Best Leader, just to know some GMs have a sense of humor.  Kind of like when Isaiah got that 1 vote for All Defensive Team a few years ago.

Yeah, that's the one I was looking for.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

There's hope!

I generally agree with thinking some overrate the 76ers. They lost a legit all-star in Butler and did not get an all-star in. Richardson and Horford are really elite role players, but al's all-star games are behind him. Reddick was also a big (and unexpected) loss.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 06:08:50 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Interesting that no one has Jaylen Brown breaking out.  Not even as an honorable mention.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
It's also interesting that the Celtics don't have an assistant coach that makes the list or honorable list.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 09:08:30 PM »

Offline Abel

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Interesting that no one has Jaylen Brown breaking out.  Not even as an honorable mention.

Absolutely agree, yet LeBron is listed as having a break out season...?? If anything I think that LeBron's season may take on a 'revenge tour' flavor, based on media converage, him missing the play-offs and his tweets around people taking his thrown....

But unless it is 2004 again, he ain't having 'breaking out'....... 

Southern hemisphere Celtics fan!

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 09:14:09 PM »

Offline Abel

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4

My read in all of this, after looking at the GM survey and the definite lack of love that the C's across the survey, is that the underachieving of last season has affected the general, overall perception of the Celtics. That is everything from the coaching staff, to the front-office and players ....

The most curious one for me was the C's didn't even rank an honourable mention in 'the best young core' category. Surely Tatum and Brown are in the top 5 young cores (if not higher, but lets face it I am biased) .....           
Southern hemisphere Celtics fan!

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

My read in all of this, after looking at the GM survey and the definite lack of love that the C's across the survey, is that the underachieving of last season has affected the general, overall perception of the Celtics. That is everything from the coaching staff, to the front-office and players ....

The most curious one for me was the C's didn't even rank an honourable mention in 'the best young core' category. Surely Tatum and Brown are in the top 5 young cores (if not higher, but lets face it I am biased) .....           
Boston won 49 games and got worse in several areas.  Despite that several GM's still think they are the 2nd best team in the East.

As for the young core, Boston has Tatum and Brown and basically no one else.  The other teams on the list have more and/or better young players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 10:25:57 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
LeBron received votes for breakout season?!? Lol

It’s probably Darryl Morey that gave him that vote lol

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 10:39:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Boston won 49 games and got worse in several areas.  Despite that several GM's still think they are the 2nd best team in the East.

As for the young core, Boston has Tatum and Brown and basically no one else. The other teams on the list have more and/or better young players.

They have Brown, Tatum, Smart, Langford, Timelord, Carsen Edwards, Grant Williams and Tremont Waters, not to mention the phenom named Tacko

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

There's hope!

I generally agree with thinking some overrate the 76ers. They lost a legit all-star in Butler and did not get an all-star in. Richardson and Horford are really elite role players, but al's all-star games are behind him. Reddick was also a big (and unexpected) loss.

The thing is they have Embiid (and Simmons).  Philly can lose an All-Star, they still have 2.  It's not like Milwaukee is loaded with top end talent other than Giannis (personally I think a guy like Middleton is closer to Tobias Harris in talent than he is to Ben Simmons).  Plus Milwaukee lost a key player too in Brogdon.

But really what it all comes down to is I think Embiid can just be that dominate, and I think the Sixers are a great match up for the Bucks with the ability to handle Giannis similar to how Toronto did (using the wall approach and help D).

And there's a lot of room for improvement on Philly's end.  If Simmons can develop a shot with a little confidence, if Embiid gets on top of his conditioning, both have the ability to reach the next level of superstadom.  (Simmons going from star to superstar, Embiid going to Shaq levels of dominance).  But of course Giannis can reach that next level too with a reliable jumper.

Not to say Philly doesn't have their warts, and may struggle in the regular season.  Will they have enough spacing, will Horford and Embiid play well together, will Simmons and Embiid play well together?  Will Horford age poorly?  Were Redick and Butler that great of leaders?  Will Simmons get better in the clutch/half court?

I can see things going great in Philly, though I can also see how it might not work.

But Philly has the top end talent in Embiid, and I think they just match up well against Milwaukee.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 01:26:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

There's hope!

The thing is they have Embiid (and Simmons).  Philly can lose an All-Star, they still have 2.  It's not like Milwaukee is loaded with top end talent other than Giannis (personally I think a guy like Middleton is closer to Tobias Harris in talent than he is to Ben Simmons).  Plus Milwaukee lost a key player too in Brogdon.

But really what it all comes down to is I think Embiid can just be that dominate, and I think the Sixers are a great match up for the Bucks with the ability to handle Giannis similar to how Toronto did (using the wall approach and help D).

And there's a lot of room for improvement on Philly's end.  If Simmons can develop a shot with a little confidence, if Embiid gets on top of his conditioning, both have the ability to reach the next level of superstadom.  (Simmons going from star to superstar, Embiid going to Shaq levels of dominance).  But of course Giannis can reach that next level too with a reliable jumper.

Not to say Philly doesn't have their warts, and may struggle in the regular season.  Will they have enough spacing, will Horford and Embiid play well together, will Simmons and Embiid play well together?  Will Horford age poorly?  Were Redick and Butler that great of leaders?  Will Simmons get better in the clutch/half court?

I can see things going great in Philly, though I can also see how it might not work.

But Philly has the top end talent in Embiid, and I think they just match up well against Milwaukee.

They were talking about this a bit on the Russilo podcast. Basically, it seems like a lot of people think Brown holds them back. They had a pretty good stat on how many long range jumpers taken by Embiid last season (including 3s) and it was a real lot like 450 or so and he ranked in the bottom ten in the league out of hundreds of players for efficiency on those shots. It seems like there is a thought that Brown coddles those guys (him and Simmons) and/or is not that good a strategic coach which matters a lot in postseason.