Author Topic: 2023 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 31207 times)

Re: 2023 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #525 on: June 23, 2023, 09:55:25 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 939
I've thought way too much about this and decided that last night was one of those "Trust the Process" moments. When he's not the Secretary of Transportation, CBS is a numbers geek and has already forgotten more about the new CBA than I will ever know. I've gotta think that he's decided that 2nd rounders are undervalued as trade chips now and will be worth a heck of a lot more once all the "aprons" shake out.

I'm good with last night.

Mike

« Reply #526 on: June 23, 2023, 10:03:06 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 481
I've thought way too much about this and decided that last night was one of those "Trust the Process" moments. When he's not the Secretary of Transportation, CBS is a numbers geek and has already forgotten more about the new CBA than I will ever know. I've gotta think that he's decided that 2nd rounders are undervalued as trade chips now and will be worth a heck of a lot more once all the "aprons" shake out.

I'm good with last night.

Mike

As a fan last night sucked.  No 1st round pick in 3 years and boom another year without one.  As a business perspective last night was brilliant.  With the new CBA 2nd round picks will be vital for teams close to that 2nd apron.  The C's needed to restock and they did.  I think we will see the same kind of thing next year with 1 of the 2 x 1st round picks.  The C's should once again have one of the best 3 records in the NBA while GSW should finish around where Miami did this year if they don't resign Draymond.  It will be even better if someone gets hurt.  Brad will stock up on assets to make deals down the road.

« Reply #527 on: June 23, 2023, 11:03:14 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Reading draft prospect reports the past few years has taught me one thing: I was born in the wrong era. All these athletic guys with no shooting ability getting drafted.

My grandfather played basketball and was reportedly a star center. His nickname was “Legs.” I got a toy hoop for Christmas when I was 3? I don’t remember it, but have seen pictures. I was a tall, skinny kid and got a real hoop for my 8th birthday.

I played organized ball through sophomore year. I went from being the starting center 7-8th grade to being a backup guard. I was 6’0” in 8th grade, so one of the taller kids and definitely more athletic. I remember as a child a pediatric doctor telling my mom that I would top out at least 6’3”, possibly 6’4”. I never made it. I stopped growing taller in 9th grade at 6’1”, and played forward that year. By 10th I was dropped down to guard as the other guys shot past me in height.

I was a very good defender. I was both quick and fast and could run for days. (Ran a 10.65 electronic timed 100m and a 47.38 400m) I could dunk at 6’0” in the 8th grade (measured a 38” one step vertical in 10th), and my wingspan is greater than my height, but not by a lot.

The trouble is I couldn’t shoot outside of the paint and my dribble was rudimentary. I could rebound and pass, because that’s what a center does. Play defense. But I had spent 5-6 years playing as a big with no ball handling experience or shooting from outside. I was washed up as a guard and concentrated on football and track. I only played summer pickup basketball games after that.

Today, if I’d grown another couple of inches I’d have had a chance at being a 2nd round NBA pick! Lol. It’s funny, but not that far fetched. I was a good enough athlete to play Division I football.

« Reply #528 on: June 23, 2023, 11:06:24 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 624
UDFA Sanogo to Bulls  :'(

Any other UDFAs out there ppl are high on?
Definitely would like to see us stock up on some cheap prospects, see if we can develop a few rotation players for this upcoming window restricted spending.

« Reply #529 on: June 23, 2023, 12:57:11 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Wonder if Brad is still sleeping.  Doesn't look like the C's have signed any UDFA's.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #530 on: June 23, 2023, 12:58:13 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3203

Definitely would like to see us stock up on some cheap prospects, see if we can develop a few rotation players for this upcoming window restricted spending.

Oscar Tshiebwe.

« Reply #531 on: June 23, 2023, 03:12:02 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 624

Oscar Tshiebwe.

Still available!

Timme to Bucks

« Reply #532 on: June 25, 2023, 02:25:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25612
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
One disappointment:  the Warriors bought the #57 pick from the Wizards to draft Trayce Jackson-Davis.

Obviously, Brad didn't believe in the guy, but with him sliding like that, I would have gladly ponied up to purchase the pick.  I would have been thrilled with netting Walsh, TJD, and 4 seconds.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #533 on: June 25, 2023, 02:34:57 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 428

Oscar Tshiebwe.
Indiana got Oscar
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #534 on: June 25, 2023, 02:41:04 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51

I know!! So bummed! I think he will surprise a lot of people.

« Reply #535 on: June 25, 2023, 02:41:31 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
One disappointment:  the Warriors bought the #57 pick from the Wizards to draft Trayce Jackson-Davis.

Obviously, Brad didn't believe in the guy, but with him sliding like that, I would have gladly ponied up to purchase the pick.  I would have been thrilled with netting Walsh, TJD, and 4 seconds.

With one of the new 2nd apron penalties being that you can't send out cash in trades, I wonder if that would have factored into Brad's decision. I don't know if that rule applies this year (or if Brad liked any of the guys available at #57), but if it does then I totally get not making that trade and hard capping us.

If we liked anyone there at 57, though, trading one of the future 2nds for the pick should have been a no-brainer. Other teams can offer much more of an opportunity with the pro club then we can, so we can't just count on being able to sign the top UFAs
I'm bitter.

« Reply #536 on: June 25, 2023, 02:42:36 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White

100% agree with this Post!!! These are the kind of things Miami is doing all the time!

« Reply #537 on: June 25, 2023, 02:46:53 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White

100% agree with this Post!!! These are the kind of things Miami is doing all the time!
I really liked TJD as well. I believe it is a curse to stay in school 4 years now!! That is really too bad. I believe with 4 years experience you can contribute right away in the NBA! staying in school is a good thing for an NBA team!!! Come on Brad!

« Reply #538 on: June 25, 2023, 02:49:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25612
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

With one of the new 2nd apron penalties being that you can't send out cash in trades, I wonder if that would have factored into Brad's decision. I don't know if that rule applies this year (or if Brad liked any of the guys available at #57), but if it does then I totally get not making that trade and hard capping us.

If we liked anyone there at 57, though, trading one of the future 2nds for the pick should have been a no-brainer. Other teams can offer much more of an opportunity with the pro club then we can, so we can't just count on being able to sign the top UFAs

I don't believe that this penalty applies this year.  If it did, I think GSW would have also been prevented from buying a pick.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #539 on: June 25, 2023, 03:48:41 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

They didn’t just buy the pick for cash — they also sent out last year’s first rounder in Patrick Baldwin.

Also, it should be noted that TJD’s agent is Dunleavy’s brother — there were reports that strings were being pulled to get him to the Warriors.